Advice whilst waiting to start lifting? (post neck fusion)

Options
Hi All,

Thought I'd tap into the brilliant resource everyone here provides for a bit of advice if you don't mind helping out! :happy:

I had a 2 level ACDF surgery just over 5 months ago - basically removing two disks in my neck and replacing them with artifical bone that will fuse with my existing vertebrae on either side, and a plate to hold everything together. The op was a great success, so now I am on the road to getting back to being me.

I was in a great deal of pain and had very limited movement for about 2 years pre-op - including severe weakness in my arms, (due to nerves being pressed on by bulging disks as I understand it). The pain has all but gone now, and we are working on getting my neck ROM back. My arms remain weak, and my shoulders tight, but mostly from lack of use I think!

So, in those two years I put on about 50 lbs (!) that I am now starting to loose through calorie counting and walking for exercise. I've lost 18 lbs, and would like to get down to about a stone less than my pre-neck issues weight ideally - although shape/ measurements are far more inportant to me ultimately than a number on the scales.
From everything I've read on here lifting is the way to go for both that and to help protect my spine from any further issues by strengthening the muscles around it.

My surgeon and physio say I can start lifting and generally being much more active once I get to 6 months post op, as long as I start really slowly and get a good trainer to ensure my form is as good as it can possibly be. Not sure whether to head straight into NROLFW or similar (which I've started reading) or begin with body weight strength and resistance training first to see how my neck & very out of shape body holds up, but once I am cleared and find a good trainer I will see...

In the next month or so, (and beyond) I want to make sure that I continue to loose weight, but do as much as possible to ensure it's mostly fat and not muscle that I loose. I am thinking the best way to do this is a limited amount of cardio (walknig + stationary bike - sitting upright, which I am cleared for now - yay!) and good macros.

Carbs are not my friend - they make me sluggish and bloated so I've tended to limit them to 30%- of my intake, with 30%+/- fat and 40%+ protein - which works out at approx. 60% of my total BM (not lean).
I also have an underactive thyriod, so have to eat significantly less than the average person to loose weight. I started with TDEE calcs and tweaked (downwards) until I got a steady and sensible loss. I know I will need to up this when I start lifting, but probably not as much as someone with a normal throid function - I will ahve to experiment!
I am 5'9, F, and 35 if it matters.

So, after all that - how I am doing? What can/ should I look at that I'm not?

Thanks so much in advance for any and all assistance...

Jules

Replies

• slimlinepic
    Options
    Bump
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Most beginner strength training programs start you out with very light weight (usually an empty bar) so I don't think there's a problem there. Start slow, pay attention to your body and talk to your doctor? Not sure what else to tell you really.