Guide To Weight Training

Options
Im going to post this and hopefully it will help explain the reps sets and rest and the reason they are so crucial...Hope it helps

Strength (Simply will get your stronger not burning fat or building alot of muscle)
2-6 sets 1-6 reps 2-5 min rest

Hypertrophy (Will burn some fat but is the main muscle mass builder)
3-6 sets 6-12 reps 60-90 sec rest

Strength and Endurance (Burn fat and build endurance as well as some muscle mass, mostly to tone)
2-3 sets 12-18 maybe 25 reps less than 30 sec rest

You want to work the larger muscles before the smaller here is the order list

Legs
Back
Chest
Shoulders
Triceps
Biceps
Abs

When doing strength and endurance I would incorporate all of these together example...squat curl press opposed to a hypertrophy doing bench press to a lat pull down.

When working out you want to follow this as well

Multi joint to single joint (Lat pull down before a bent over row)
Instability before Stability (One leg or bosu workouts first)
Power workouts before strength ( Bag punches before chest press)
Rehab last...external rotation or certain problem areas

If anyone has any questions please let me know

Replies

• greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    Im going to post this and hopefully it will help explain the reps sets and rest and the reason they are so crucial...Hope it helps

Strength (Simply will get your stronger not burning fat or building alot of muscle)

Strength and Endurance (Burn fat and build endurance as well as some muscle mass, mostly to tone)

Legs
    Back
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    Biceps
    Abs

When doing strength and endurance I would incorporate all of these together example...squat curl press opposed to a hypertrophy doing bench press to a lat pull down.

• edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Thank you for these information :flowerforyou:

I usually do 2-3 sets of 12-20 reps with short rests between. I've read that those last reps (2-4) should be really hard to do. I like shape.com workouts because there is a lot of one leg exercises which I find effective and interesting.
    I do a few minutes cardio before this workout.
    However, I'm not sure about one thing - should I do a set, than rest and then next set of the same exercise or it's better to do one set of every exercise and than second set, etc?
    I think this kind of workout is basically the third type you mentioned, the one best to tone up. Am I right?
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Why are abs last?
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had the same question as Edyta. I do one exercise then immediately go to another and another, then I go back and do my second set of the same ones.
    Am I doing this right or should i be doing it differently?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

Legs
    Back
    Chest
    Shoulders
    Triceps
    Biceps
    Abs

What amount the amount of weight? When they say work the muscle to fatigue or failure - how hard should those last reps be?

Your description of the Strength and Endurance sounds exactly like my BodyPump class - am i getting the same benefits by doing this class as i would doing it on my own?

Free weights vs. Circuit? any difference/advantage/comments?

and lastly, cardio should always be after you finish all of the sets? Is this a must or can you skip cardio if time is an issue?
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    As far as doing one set of one thing and moving on to the next then repeating until you do them all about three times around thats fine thats a circuit and if you get bored just doing the same thing for 3 sets in row its ideal for you. The rest should be setting up your next thing a sip of water and boom go...The weights should be challenging but no so hard that your not able to get 15 plus reps. Your correct though the last few reps you should be pushing harrrddd. If you dont have time to do the cardio cut your workouts down to 30 min to fit it in. It is good to do but if you miss now and then dont worry about it. If you are going to work to muscle fatigue on every set then you should be doing the sets for a minute at a time and not counting reps. As far as free weights compared to circuits you can use free weights in your circuits. You should be breathing hard and sweating alot! The reason the rest times are all diff, has to do with energy cycles that i dont want to bore any of you with haha.

As far as the bodypump class im not to familiar with it but I think they train eccentrically, it all depends on your preference I like doing my own thing but alot of ppl like working in groups too.
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

My husband was in football in high school and did a lot of weight training. I have been arguing with him that, as a girl, and a complete beginner, I shouldn't be doing it the exact same way as him. I want tone, he wants bulk. Anyway, he says that if I can do more than 10 reps of anything, it's not enough weight. He convinced me to buy the biggest definity weight bar available @ 20lbs. That works great for about half the exercises, but I fail after 3 reps with triceps, pecs, and other weaker muscle exercises. He seems to think that's fine and I'll just build up to it, but I come out of the workout sore but not feeling like I did all that much since I did so few reps, then watched him sweat and do a whole bunch more.

:sad: I don't really have money to spend on another smaller bar, and I don't want to continue to annoy him by questioning his weightlifting wisdom, but what do y'all think? Is it ok to start out with a weight that is a little too much for me and just build to it? My mom says I'm going to "hurt my womanly parts with all this straining." :laugh:
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    Noooo...your right he works out to bulk out and you want to just tone down right? You dont produce testosterone so your not gonna get huge but you will put on muscle...you want to try to get to 15-20 reps...him getting to 10 is perfect for what he wants to do not for you..I would suggest use smaller dumbbells and in a few weeks that 20 lb bar will be nothing.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    Thanks for advice, Jen

I feel I need to give it a bump :smile:

BTW Did you notice that posts are disappearing quicker and quicker from "recent posts"? 4 hours and they are gone!! :noway: I wonder how many user are registering every day, hehe
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hmm.

My husband was in football in high school and did a lot of weight training. I have been arguing with him that, as a girl, and a complete beginner, I shouldn't be doing it the exact same way as him. I want tone, he wants bulk. Anyway, he says that if I can do more than 10 reps of anything, it's not enough weight. He convinced me to buy the biggest definity weight bar available @ 20lbs. That works great for about half the exercises, but I fail after 3 reps with triceps, pecs, and other weaker muscle exercises. He seems to think that's fine and I'll just build up to it, but I come out of the workout sore but not feeling like I did all that much since I did so few reps, then watched him sweat and do a whole bunch more.

:sad: I don't really have money to spend on another smaller bar, and I don't want to continue to annoy him by questioning his weightlifting wisdom, but what do y'all think? Is it ok to start out with a weight that is a little too much for me and just build to it? My mom says I'm going to "hurt my womanly parts with all this straining." :laugh:

You being a woman doesn't mean you need to train any differently. Like greek said, since you produce so little testosterone, you won't see the growth he sees. Your growth is stimulated by growth hormone, which is released in response to lactic acid buildup ('the burn"). If you're reaching failure within 3 reps, you're not producing lactic acid, so you won't grow. You'll gain strength, but won't really employ the systems that promote large changes in your metabolism.

However, you being a beginner DOES mean you need to train differently. Beginners shouldn't lift more than twice a week to prevent overtraining since it's so taxing on your nervous system. You can benefit from 1-2 sets...even in trained individuals, about 90% of any improvement takes place in that first set. You can still choose what rep range you want, but I'd wait on the 3-5 rep range until you've had some training since you're making so many adaptations right now, and that's just extra strain on the CNS.

You're not going to strain any womanly parts haha...I lift much more than my bodyweight on a regular basis, and I neither look like a man nor do I have any problems with my female parts. :wink: