Was signing up to a gym the best move you ever made?

Options
I have decided to sign up to a gym for the first time in my life to start doing some proper classes and learn to use the weights properly etc....

I would love to hear some inspiring stories about how you all feel joining a gym, or not, has improved your lives/weightloss/fitness.

Thanks everyone!!!

Ps, I have around 55lbs to lose!

Replies

• VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    For me it has been a very good decision. I have four kids, ages 9 and under, and a full-time job. For years, I've wanted to start exercising but just couldn't find the time. I have a bit more disposable income these days so in March I signed a 3-year contract for gym membership and added a year of unlimited personal training. Working with a trainer has been an amazing experience; keeps me motivated and I've seen great results. If I hadn't signed up for the personal training, I would probably end up being one of those people who has a gym membership but never uses it. Before I signed up, I thought I'd go and work out on the treadmill or elliptical. I'm sure this would have been good for my cardio health but I don't think I would have achieved the results I'm getting with a trainer (he's having me do a strength training program).

Also, I go to the gym on my lunch hour. Granted, I have a very flexible schedule so I'm gone from the office for a good two hours.

While this has worked well for me, I would really encourage you to evaluate your specific situation (e.g., what are your goals, how will you achieve them, will I have time to go to the gym, etc.) It is a pricey commitment and you want to make sure you'll get full benefit from it:)
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I feel healthier, have better self esteem, enjoy feeling powerful when I lift, flattened my abs, and get to a 1000 calories more a day to eat. Now I am in control of my body, I understand what it takes to change its shape and size, ability and strength.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i signed up with personal training. one of the best things i ever did for myself. i wish i did this when i was 20.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Quitting my gym and doing my workouts with fitness blender was the best move I've made. I've made far more progress and spent far less money, so that's a win to me!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Look at my fitness ticker and ask me if the gym was the best thing I ever invested in......um, hell yea!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have four different gym memberships for different reasons so I would say yes. I know my personality and I am not the type to work out on my own and I enjoy the atmosphere of the gym and group classes. My fitness passions and goals have changed over the years but a gym membership is something I have never been without.

And when I moved to a new city the gym is where I made lasting friendships and continue to to this day.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I'd say yes, especially since my membership includes a set number of personal training sessions (1 a week at first, then 1 a month for reevaluation). I recently had surgery (gallbladder removal) and am antsy to get back to the gym for lifting. I've been given the okay to cardio but I want to lift again. I'm also not one of those train at home type people. I'm still trying to get myself to do the Couch to 5k program. Luckily, some of the locations for the gym I belong to have indoor tracks where I can do that (the Vegas heat is brutal during the summer) so that's my next step because the surgery has me feeling better (didn't know that the pain I'd been feeling for so long was the first signs of gallstones or this would've happened earlier).
  • Porcelaine22
    Porcelaine22 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic responses! I think I need to consider some PT sessions!!! ASAP!!!
  • scraver2003
    scraver2003 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    These are fantastic responses! I think I need to consider some PT sessions!!! ASAP!!!

Yes! Do it! A PT can show you how to use the equipment properly and show you proper form and all that. Even the employees at the gym can show you things, too. Some of the gyms I have belonged to would set up a routine for me and then give me a new routine ever 6 - 8 weeks. I joined my first gym in December of 2001. I like going to a gym, b/c there are no distractions like there are at home.
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Joining a gym and learning how to lift weights was definitely the best decision I have made. I was allergic to exercise before that point and finding an exercise that I love has changed my life along with my body.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When I originally joined? No. Two years later when I finally decided to do something about my weight and use my membership? Yes!
  • jolodo
    jolodo Posts: 24
    Options
    Belonged to various gyms over the last 15 or so years and always enjoyed it. Then about 5 years ago I started having sessions with a personal trainer which made me realise I could push myself more than I thought.

However in Dec 2012 I was really disillusioned with the gym and decided to cancel my membership to work out at home and it's turned out to be the best decision for me. I work out Mon-Fri at 5.30am and sometimes weekends.

I feel fitter, healthier and have toned up more than all the years at the gym. But I do think the timing was right for me - I've quit gyms before but always gone back in a couple of months.

Give the gym a go - if you don't you'll wonder if it was for you or not. Go with what feels right at the time. I think age, mental state of mind, work and family commitments all play a part and these change over the years, so what is right for you now may not be in 3 years time.
  • ruth_jb
    ruth_jb Posts: 14
    Options
    Yes definitely. I love the gym and go 3-4 times a week for gym workout and then a swim. My profile photo shows a difference before and after starting at the gym, it has massively trimmed down my hips, thighs and stomach!

I still hate going to the gym, but once I'm there and the feeling I have when I've completed my workout is amazing!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    MFP was the most important, gym was second. It's such a regular part of my life now that I look forward to my workouts, especially certain classes, I have friends there, and I am sad when I have to deviate from my regular schedule for whatever reason. Definitely one of the best things I did to change my life - joining and actually GOING.

A PT really helped at the beginning too. I had sessions every other week to get new strength training programs and it was awesome having a check-in. It made me more comfortable at the gym as an obese and unfit person; made me feel at home.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    yes, because it allowed me to start lifting heavy and if I'm paying for it, I'll use it.
  • jtrack3d
    jtrack3d Posts: 91
    Options
    I think it depends on you.

If you are going to be all self conscious and afraid to work out because you fear people looking at you, then you probably aren't ready yet.

However, I personally find that what motivates me is being in a "class" setting. Things like Body Pump or Zumba, etc. where every works together and gets to be friends ... well like MFP... these are very motivational.

So, IMO, are you ready to be in a gym setting... can you get a trial first to be sure. I would hate if you sign a contract and regret it.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    Joining my gym has been a great experience for me. I was able to get a personal trainer for the first few weeks and learn good technique and proper form. He also helped with a future plan on how to lose weight and tone. They offer great classes and I can do my own cardio whenever...since it is open 24/7. I have also made a point to make some friends so accountability is there. If I don't show up for a day or two they are asking where I'm at and why I've missed.
    It is also 4 blocks from where I work so there is no excuse not to get there after work and get it done!!
    Good luck!
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Gym was the best thing I did. Love it!

tumblr_mobpmuTBTX1rcy99do1_500.gif
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've been going to gyms, paid or institutionally funded (high school, college, military, employer provided), for decades - it is a practice that is definitely a good move! I think one of the best moves I've made (in regard to fitness) was getting a personal trainer certification, because now I know everything about fitness!! J/k, but it did increase my knowledge and change the way that I approached my nutrition and exercise significantly.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of gyms; I've had access to them during college, but I just hate working out indoors and around so many other people! Plus I have little interest in doing strength training that doesn't involve my own body weight ;) However, my mom signed up for a gym membership and she loves it. She likes the social aspect of seeing people there whom she recognizes and can small talk with, and she loves having lots of different workout options so she can add as much variety as she wants to her gym days. And she took Zumba classes at her gym and said it was really fun! Gyms just aren't for me (thank goodness I've never had to PAY for one), but I think I'm in a definite minority here :)