Success by counting calories and exercise alone?

Options
13»

Replies

• EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting calories and exercising and it's worked for me! Recently I've been paying more attention to my macros but before my only nutrition goal was to be under on calories.
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have lost 92 lbs. by "cleaning up" my eating a little. I dropped many processes foods - like chips, store bought cookies/cakes, Chex Mix, crackers - not because they weren't clean, but because if I eat a serving I crave much more. I'd rather not have the cravings. I don't want food to own me. I get hungry and it takes a lot of the processed foods to fill me up (with more calories). But I do still eat some goodies - birthday cake, pie, chocolate. Just in a normal amount.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Works for me, this is the most successful I've ever been with diet & fitness. I do try to keep an eye on my protein, just to make sure I'm getting enough. But otherwise, I pretty much eat what I want and like. I'm pushing 50 lbs lost in just over 8 months. I exercise a lot, which is fine, makes me feel fantastic and lets me eat more.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I always blamed my inability to lose weight on my hypothryoidism, PCOS, eating too much [insert bad food here], not getting to the gym enough, etc. etc. Turns out all I needed to do was eat a little less.

Ten weeks of counting calories and macros and I am down 7 pounds (and that initial water-weight loss happened before I joined MFP when I was tried "clean" eating). This is the most weight I have ever lost in this amount of time. I make room for "bad" foods and I'm doing moderate exercise 4-5x a week.
  • sarahcav123
    sarahcav123 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, if you eat at a deficit and are active, you will most certainly lose weight.
    In terms of health, that's different. If you're eating 1500 cals worth of bigs macs per day (for example), your health will undoubtedly suffer. The visceral fat (i.e. the fact in between and covering your organs) will probably increase, along with blood pressure etc etc. - however I doubt many people (although I could be wrong?!) eat as extreme as that.

So, my opinion is everything in moderation. If you don't want to spend time eating super clean then just make smart choices the majority of the time, and indulge when you feel like you need/want to.

Good luck with your weight & health journey!

EDIT: typo.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Counting calories, eating better, and exercising moderately is the only thing that works for me. Pills, fancy expensive meal plans, hormones crap, ...none of that is worth my time or my health. They don't do it...I DO!!
  • MrsB123111
    MrsB123111 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I've had success both ways. Clean eating AND "unclean" eating. I had early success with IIFIYM, but after a couple of years, losing got much harder. I have recently had much better results with a cleaner diet and working out a little harder. Not saying IIFIYM doesn't work, it just stopped working for me...
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Works for me also :) I've lost almost 30 pounds in 5 months doing just that. I mean I don't go crazy with junk food but no "clean eating" ,counting macros or any of that. I count my calories (1200) and exersice at least 6 days a week...cardio, biking,walking, some weights and a little yogo lately.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    45 lbs down since last August. Some were a result of Whole30. But I'm not interested in maintaining that strict lifestyle (or a paleo lifestyle) long-term. In February, I went back to normal caloric deficit and exercising, and am down 12 lbs since mid-February. I've been losing steadily at a very reasonable rate in line with what the numbers suggest I should be losing.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    It works for me. I don't totally ignore all those things - but don't heavily stress either. Aim for a decent amount of protein, don't make major efforts to avoid fat. (But fat is naturally kept in check by aiming for a reduced calorie range.) I eat pizza, have occasional sweet treats, bread, rice. But I also work to eat more fruits & veggies, which is a problem area for me. I do moderate exercise - and aim to be more active than the lazy-me prefers.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I've lost 40+ pounds so far, over the last year. My husband is always making fun of what he calls my "cheeto diet." I eat fairly healthy, but, I don't deprive myself. And, at the end of the day, if I have enough calories left, I'll eat cheetos. I exercise 5 days a week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    see ticker...

I do watch my macros but that is due to weight lifting but it's not a do or die thing for me.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Add me to the list. I recently started paying some attention to macros, but lost almost all my weight before I started any of that. Calorie deficit+ exercise = weight loss.