stupid scale

Options
I know I shouldn't be as focused and obsessed with the number on the scale as I am, because I know ive lost inches goven ive gone down a pant size.... but im starting to get really frusterated because it takes me FOREVER to lose a pound, I just started running again a couple of weeks ago, and I usually go for runs 2-3 times a week as well as take spin, aqua zumba and I do a cardio/strength/endurance/athletic training class as well.... ive noticed that im getting stronger and feel better and I am definitely losing in he but thescale won't budge!!!!!

Replies

• alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Same here. With the weather change I've increased my activity level quite a bit, but no budge on the scale, so I call it a filthy name, get dressed and get a cup of coffee. I can't control what that little mechanical monster says, but I can continue on as I have been and change my focus to how often I have to pull up my pants now. The scale might not change, but sliding into a new pair of size 12 pants confirms that I am on the right course. Keep your head up and pay close attention to how you feel and how your clothes fit and you'll see the progress you are hoping for. Good Luck!
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Weight has more to do with diet than exercise. As they say "you can't out run a bad diet". If you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficit.

Are you weighing your food? Logging everything you eat? Choosing the right entries?
    How do you have your profile set up? Lose 1 pound, lightly active etc.?
    Do you eat back your exercise calories or doing TDEE?

If the scale isn't moving some part of the equation is off. You are eating more than you think, burning less than you think or some combination of the two.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen. Are you tracking calories?
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I consistently weigh everything with my food scale and im doing TDEE and eat somewhere between my BMR and TDEE-20% every day...some days I am lower than others and every once in awhile ill go over....diary is open
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    Also, I am definitely losing inches just trying to figure out why im not losing pounds...ie: ive lost 12lbs since january but ive also lost inches too, but now my weightloss has semingly stalled but I continue to lose inches
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Also, I am definitely losing inches just trying to figure out why im not losing pounds...ie: ive lost 12lbs since january but ive also lost inches too, but now my weightloss has semingly stalled but I continue to lose inches

How long has the stall been? I am someone who doesn't lose for a week or three, then suddenly drops 2 pounds seemingly in a day. If the stall has only been a few weeks it might just be normal fluctuations.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. By the scale I've lost 3 pounds since Monday but none in almost 2 weeks before that. Hormones, stress, sleep, sodium, etc. can all temporarily mask what is happening on the scale.

How long has the stall been? I am someone who doesn't lose for a week or three, then suddenly drops 2 pounds seemingly in a day. If the stall has only been a few weeks it might just be normal fluctuations.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I lost two pounds last week, but seemingly gained it back.... ive been trying to he better about the scale, given I bumped up my exercise within the past 2 weeks and I bumped up my calories a little given I added in the extra running and aqua zumba class.... I think part of it is im losing inches and I know I am given how my clothes fit and how much smaller my stomach is but im not seeing it on the scale
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Honestly, F the scale. If you're seeing physical results in your everyday life (muscle tone, better fitting clothes, etc) that 'should' be enough. Obviously, you're like me and it isn't. So my husband hid the scale. Seems somewhat extreme but until I could wrap my head around the NSV, I needed to forget the number. I'm "allowed" to weigh myself once every two weeks. I feel so so SO much better now rather than getting caught up and discouraged by that stupid thing.

Keep doing what you're doing and remember that muscle is more dense than fat, so you're probably losing fat but gaining muscle. Rock on.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Maybe recalc your TDEE??? I think on the scooby website its says to re-do your numbers ever 5- 10 lbs ??? Just a thought.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I started doing the TDEE method after I lost the 10lbs and have been messing with the numbers a little
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Don't take this the wrong way, if you are losing inches why are you so bothered about what the scales say? It took me a few months to ignore what the scales say and focus on how I look, how much I can lift, how quick i can run etc.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I know thats more important but its been engrained in my head, since I was a teenage, to look at the scale and weigh myself
  • bebeXchyM
    bebeXchyM Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Yours is better
    i'm not losing
    weight or inches(gaining inches self)
    but i'm seeing serious muscular definition(dunno if it's ok)
  • GinaRicky
    GinaRicky Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm also feeling the same way today about the stupid scale. Intellectually I know the scale is not the whole story however some days I want it to go down and down significantly. I've been at this for sooooo long now and I just want to get there. On the bright side. I'm down ten more lbs , (I wanted more), should be able to go down a pant size this month and I have lost inches in the right places. All these amazing NSVs and my mind is clouded with what the scale says. Oh well. Time for me to refocus.