If not crunches/ETC...Then what?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    OMG where to begin. There are so many other things you can do that don't require crunching. Keep reading, you will find some. I can't list it now. Boss coming back any second.
  • jenniferreed02
    Options
    I have heard from a Pilates instructor that pregnancy creates a gap between your abs and doing crunches and other work before your abs have fully healed (which is different for everyone) after birth can really damage your abs and make the gap look so much worse. It gives you what they call "mommy tummy". Planks are great though and can't do this.

I agree with others that actual ab work is not that necessary because it will be engaged during other strength training. Abs do not come from crunches, you have to be very lean to begin with to see the muscles under the fat/skin. My ab work comes from doing insanity workouts and trying to focus the exercises into my core. But I have a layer of fat I need to shed to really see those bad boys. No kids yet, though!
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I do understand about not being able to "spot reduce"...lol:laugh:

I just am trying to lose the layer of fat, at the same time "toning" even more what's underneath that layer of fat:wink: So we can meet at a happy middle:tongue: Well...I'll add the plank again..and continue lifting! I love doing squats so...more squats( with weights) it is!:drinker:
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Ok, I don't know if there's an science behind this, but the people on FitnessBlender say that you have to tighten your abs "in" as if you're sucking your belly button in, or the muscles will grow "out." I'm not sure I really believe that, but it's a way to encourage people to keep their abdominal engaged throughout an entire ab exercise.

I do know that you can't spot treat. Ab exercises will strengthen the muscles you're working just like any other exercise that engages muscles with strengthen them. However, you can do 1000 crunches a day, but you won't get a flat stomach until you lose the fat covering these muscles. That's where a good diet and cardio and/or lifting come in.

Crunches also won't get rid of extra skin left behind by pregnancy. The whole area will shrink once the fat is gone, but many moms keep that little pouch. Some women manage to go right back to normal, and I know one mother like this. My sister, on the other hand, has quite a bit of loose skin and, even though she's only 115 lbs (at 5'3"), her belly isn't flat and most likely never will be. You can feel her abdominal muscles are strong and "defined" beneath this extra skin and little bit of fat, but only a tummy tuck would allow them to be seen.

I do a core routine about twice a week, but I also lift three times per week and my core is being engaged during those exercises. I'm also in the middle of the 30 day plank challenge. I'm up to 60 seconds, working my way up to 5 minutes. :)

There is also keeping the core engaged in everything you do. I've always kept my core engaged but recently I realized that I use it when I'm not thinking. I had to lift a folded shopping cart from the opposite side of a fence, I didn't use my legs and had to use upper body. When I lifted it, I felt my entire core engage. It just tightened (front side and back) as I lifted the cart and let go when I was done. It was so cool to see how my body thinks for itself sometimes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The wheel and russian twists are my favorite ab exercises. But lots of other things that aren't specifically ab exercise work the abs - pushups, squats, Zumba, boxing (punching), burpees, mtn climbers ...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I ditto the question - i just hit the "middle age spread" .... well it just reached my abdomen with a big bang! and not only did it get big but hangs down some... does anyone have good exercises to target this..

I am 52. Zumba and Turbo Fire both really helped with this. Cardio with a lot of twisting (and punching for TF).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I do very little in the way of direct ab work...and yeah...crunches and sit-ups are just about the worse things you could do...they're really hard on the spine and really don't engage the core that well. I highly recommend compound lifting movements...squats and dead-lifts in particular really engage the entire core (not just the abs); I also do planks. When I do happen to do some direct ab work I usually do hanging leg lifts...sometimes I'll throw in some wood choppers too or Russian twists, etc.

Beyond that I would recommend keeping you abs engaged with pretty much anything you do...basically keep them flexed most of the time...that's a damned good ab workout.
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Thanx everyone:) I also have been doing deadlifts. I'll continue with that. I have a punching bag set up..I need to start using it again....fun way to get rid of all your daily stresses/etc:laugh: