Chicken + Shrimp Jumbalaya (no rice) - 236 cals per serving!

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
So, I was having company last night for dinner and wanted to make something super tasty. I have always loved Creole/Cajun cooking but it's sooo high in fat and sodium that I never really indulge. I found a suggestion online to replace the roux (butter/oil and flour mixture) with browned tomato paste - sounds weird - but it makes a healthier version of common recipes with the same consistency. So I decided to give it a try. I whipped up this jumbalaya in about an hour and 15 minutes, allowing for cooking time. Turned out pretty tasty so I thought I would share it. You could certainly change the seasonings to your taste. I had never really made a jumbalaya before, so this was all guess work on my part. Turned out quite spicy but that's how I like it!

Serves 8

Ingredients:
3 large chicken breasts, or about 1.5lbs, 1 inch pieces
ground pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped plus celery greens (if you have it - i love how these taste!)
1 large bell pepper, chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
2 jalapenos, minced
1 5.5 oz can tomato paste
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
1 900mL tetra-pack PC brand no salt added chicken broth
30 - or so - green beans, cut into bite sized pieces
1 lb raw or cooked shrimp, cleaned, shelled and deveined

Spices:
2 Tbsp Montreal Chicken Spice (high in sodium, but I used what I had - you can sub for cajun seasoning if you have it!)
1 Tbsp sweet paprika
2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 tsp dried oregano flakes
ground pepper

Seems like a lot but it's easy to all throw together.

Brown the chicken on med-high in a dutch oven, seasoning well with pepper. I do this without oil, because I find that it browns well to the bottom of the pan. You can use oil if you like. Once browned, removed and set aside. Reduce heat to medium, add olive oil and sauté onions, celery, peppers, garlic, and jalapenos for 5-7 mins until they are soft and onions are translucent. In spoonfuls, mix in the entire can of tomato paste and allow this to brown in the pan for at least 5 mins on medium heat. This will seem strange and you will be able to smell the tomatoes caramelizing - that's a good sign! In the mean time, mix the spices together in a small bowl. Once the tomato paste has had time to brown up a little, mix in the spices. Add diced tomato and chicken broth, and return chicken pieces to the pot. Let boil on medium heat for at least 15 mins (longer if you have time). Add green beans 10 mins before serving, and raw shrimp with enough time to turn pink but not over cook.

If you wish to add rice, add 2 cups when you add in the broth and an additional 900mL of chicken broth for it to absorb. This could be tasty, I just don't like rice at all so we served it on the side for those who wanted it.

Here's my breakdown from the MFP recipe calculator. High sodium is a result of the Montreal Chicken Spice. You can sub that for whatever you have on hand :)

Per serving:
calories 236
carbs 15
fat 4
protein 31
fiber 5
sodium 815

-Meag

Replies

• carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful.....something I would love but would definitely have to reduce the spice for my husband.
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    Cajun food is my fave!! I also have an aweson Cajun Salmon recipe if you like fish :bigsmile: <<<<BUMP>>>>
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Cajun food is my fave!! I also have an aweson Cajun Salmon recipe if you like fish :bigsmile: <<<<BUMP>>>>

Oh my gosh! I would love it :D Cajun Salmon sounds divine! :heart:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options

Ok give me a few I've got my 2yr old and I'm babysitting my neice now. . . also 2 yrs old and their all over the place, :laugh: , Will send it in a bit :wink:
  • meagalayne
    Options

Ok give me a few I've got my 2yr old and I'm babysitting my neice now. . . also 2 yrs old and their all over the place, :laugh: , Will send it in a bit :wink:

Take your time! Whenever you get a spare min to do it is fine with me :D Thanks Deanna!
  • virginiaduty
    virginiaduty Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    yes i tryed your chicken+shrimp jumbalaya i made rice on the side and put the jumbalaya over top it was very tasty--thanks for the recipe.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    yes i tryed your chicken+shrimp jumbalaya i made rice on the side and put the jumbalaya over top it was very tasty--thanks for the recipe.

Sweet! I had it again tonight too :D I'm glad you liked it!