Treadmill 4.5 mph --Walk or Jog

Options
I'm doing the C25K program and when it's time for me to walk I go at a 3.5 mph and when it's time for the run/jog I go 4.5 mph. When I log it in the exercise section it just has a 4.5 walk. Where's the 4.5 jog at?? Or does it make a difference?

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    4.5 is the speed. Some people will jog at this speed, others will walk... So basically there's no difference... UNLESS you have an incline...
  • mamagleas
    Options
    I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem like it should matter because it will calculate your calories burned according to your speed and your weight - regardless of what it is called. I am also doing C25K right now - again. I'm only on week 2 but look forward to it which is amazing since I've never like to run - ever! Good luck!
  • Jenks
    Jenks Posts: 349
    Options
    I jog at 4.2, what can I say...I have short legs :laugh:
  • jheller
    jheller Posts: 194
    Options
    It is very frustrating that the site thinks you have to run 5mph before you can log it as a jog or run. If you have a HRM wear it and input your own burn.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Like with strength training, There is a specific reason why there is nothing for running at speeds under 5 mph. The metabolic prediction equations that are used to estimate calorie expenditure for running are not valid for speeds under 5mph. A general equation cannot be developed because, at those slower speeds, there is too much variability in running style to come up with an equation that can be used for all individuals.

"The site" doesn't "think" about anything--nor does it "judge" people or their exercises. The tables for estimating calories from exercise are based on the accepted standards, methodology, and research-based studies for various activities. There is nothing magic about MFP, nor do they create any of this stuff--it is a convenient central access point for data that was developed by organizations such as the American College of Sports Medicine and normally would be spread out all over the place.
  • elloradannon
    Options
    I have really short legs and even 4.0 is a light jog for me. I always just remember what the calories tell me on the treadmill and then enter it in manually so it's more accurate.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I am working through C25K right now to. I am at about 5 mph which is listed as both a walk and a jog. I compared the calories burnt for both and they were almost identical. I list it as walk because right now I am doing more walking than jogging (only in week 2) but as I build up more endurance I will change it to jog.
  • futurerunner
    futurerunner Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Okay, good...I was hoping there were more people out there that had the same problem.

I'm starting week 2 of C25K tonight. Excited, Scared, what's the difference :)