P-ratio

Options
So im on the final straights, can see the finish line but Im thinking of changing the goal post a little. When I first started out my goal was to be 168lb @ 5 7" before transitioning into bulking/cutting . 168lbs would put me at 7lbs "overweight" according to bmi which i know is not a good indicator but its a fairly useful guide. When started out I mention what my goals are and what I wanted to do when I got there and a few people mention that I should really cutting a bit more than planned before bulking due to p-ration.

Now what I make of it is it the more bf you have before you bulk the higher % of fat you will put on when you bulk is that correct? What I really want to know is if at all how much of difference starting at a higher bf will make. I know every body is different but on a 10lb bulk is it a difference of 7/3 lbs muscle to fat, 6/4, 5/5 etc?

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'll be interested to hear too. I've just finished bulking at around 30%, which I know is far from optimal, p-ratio wise. Can't help you out with any figures but I feel I added a good bit of muscle, won't know for sure though till I'm done cutting.
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My understanding is the same as yours. The fatter you start out on a bulk, the greater ratio of fat you will gain. Lots of factors on the actual ratio, including rate of gain. Gaining 4 pounds per month will most certainly net a better p-ratio than gaining 8 pounds per month. 50/50 is considered pretty good though. Once you've been training a few years, gaining new mass becomes very difficult and you will therefore gain more fat. I'm no expert though and I'm interested in other views on this.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend cutting at least to the point of looking good before starting to bulk. 5'7 168 is likely to be kinda chubby for someone thinking about a first bulk.

P-ratio is an interesting concept, but aesthetics and confidence, being able to see positive changes - all of these are also better with a lean base.

If the ultimate goal were simply strength gain and bending bars, then yeah whatever, bulk away. But with an ultimate goal to look good, drop down to at least 12% or so. My guess is that'd be around 150 for a normal musculature.