Is there a value of Sodium intake that's too low?

Options
hush404
hush404 Posts: 95 Member
When I started using MFP, it really showed me how much sodium I've been (over)consuming and I've adjusted my diet accordingly to cut down my intake. I know sodium is needed... to live, but are there values that are too low in the general day to day count? MFP recommends it be > 2300mg (an American standard), and some days I struggle to keep it around that level (usually higher if Im not careful), depending on my eating habits, for example, today I've noticed it's not quite 800mg based on my meals for the day. Should I try to raise that some or just leave it what it is and only be concerned if I see adverse effects?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I don't think a day or two of low sodium is going to hurt you any... it's just continually coming under a certain number will probably have adverse health effects. I checked the CDC website and it says 180 mg and 500 mg per day minimum for the body to function properly, but 1500 mg is the daily recommendation, with 2300 mg being the cap.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It's not set on a 24 hours intake/usage schedule. If you're low one day and high the next, then it evens itself out. Generally, you don't have to worry about sodium unless you have medical reasons, diagnosed or family history. I wouldn't worry about going to low unless you actively tried to eat less than 200mg a day or took long term diuretic medications for various medical reason. "Symptoms of moderate hyponatremia include tiredness, disorientation, headache, muscle cramps, and nausea. Severe hyponatremia can lead to seizures and coma. These neurological symptoms are thought to result from the movement of water into brain cells, causing them to swell and disrupt their functioning (from WebMD)."
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    You'll feel it if you go too low too long.
    It's unpleasant, and why I use electrolyte mixes for heavy workout days.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You'll feel it if you go too low too long.
    It's unpleasant, and why I use electrolyte mixes for heavy workout days.

This. I don't know how low is too low but dizziness or fainting would make you aware of it - it causes low blood pressure (not too serious short-term) but as above poster says, you'll know.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    1500 mg/day is the latest recommended maximum. MFP is a bit outdated in this regard.
  • Sueb1420
    Sueb1420 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You will know when you go to low for to long. Mine was around 800mg for some time but I was not tracking and did not realize it. Due to the heat and my workouts this was to low for me. I felt really sick and it took a day to feel better after I started on electrolytes and adding salt to my food.
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is a value that is too low, but this is when you consume that level on days in and days out. Sodium is one of the things we want in moderation-- too much or too little can be detrimental. Both have an affect on the heart. I do believe that you will know and will feel it if your sodium gets too low-- your muscles might feel weird or twitch, or you might feel light headed or dizzy, or workouts might be harder than normal.

1500 mg is the recommended amount, with 2300 mg being the daily upper limit value. Some people do need to consume more than 2300 mg but that is not the average person.
  • hush404
    hush404 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Very helpful :)
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Interesting! I tend toward low blood pressure so I tend not to go super low with my sodium.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    1500 mg/day is the latest recommended maximum. MFP is a bit outdated in this regard.

That's interesting, as my cardiologist recommended 2500mg post-open heart surgery.