Is fitting into your old clothes disappointing?

Options
Elsie_Brownraisin
Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
I have lost enough weight to shop in the stores I frequented before becoming overweight.

But their clothes don't cover my *kitten* and make me look like a skank (seriously UK shops, why do all your dresses and skirts stop at the crotch?!)

Anyone else supposed to have graduated to actual adult people clothes in the in the interim between obesity and regular sizes?

I will find a way to dress garishly, I was just less thrilled to shop in certain shops than I used to be and it surprised me.

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    I'm clearly not as wonderful an omnipotent as I think I am. I can't rock a tin foil coloured skort that stops at my butt cheeks. It ain't pretty for anyone invoved.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Well, Q, I'm sure most guys would not mind if you wore clothes that were a little short and tight. Just sayin.

Cuz the number one reason girls buy new clothes is to impress all the men, right? :huh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a petite and small framed adult. I do not particularly like having to seek out clothing companies that are juniors oriented (for teenagers). I feel silly being in there to shop and trying to find adult looking clothing in there and all the trendy styles and pink hearts type of advertising. And then people catch wind of them selling junior's sizes and complain that they are discriminating against people that aren't tiny. I was glad that American Eagle had a body positive campaign, so they didn't get criticized, but then people criticized the authenticity and "deepness" of the campaign anyway (it just wasn't good enough for them). It's a no win situation. Anyway, it's a minor issue. Not any kind of major problem. Just glad when I do find things that fit. Even a lot of the petite stores don't go to a small enough size. Some stores have a small petite section that is sized down from their regular sizes to some degree, and I am glad about that.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    Well, Q, I'm sure most guys would not mind if you wore clothes that were a little short and tight. Just sayin.

What if she doesn't want guys staring at her constantly?

I want everyone staring at me...all the time.

Which is why I feel so self conscious and uncomfortable.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options
    I'm a petite and small framed adult. I do not particularly like having to seek out clothing companies that are juniors oriented (for teenagers). I feel silly being in there to shop and trying to find adult looking clothing in there and all the trendy styles and pink hearts type of advertising. And then people catch wind of them selling junior's sizes and complain that they are discriminating against people that aren't tiny. I was glad that American Eagle had a body positive campaign, so they didn't get criticized, but then people criticized the authenticity and "deepness" of the campaign anyway (it just wasn't good enough for them). It's a no win situation. Anyway, it's a minor issue. Not any kind of major problem. Just glad when I do find things that fit. Even a lot of the petite stores don't go to a small enough size. Some stores have a small petite section that is sized down from their regular sizes to some degree, and I am glad about that.

I'm not sure if I was being clear about my moaning, sorry.

The point was that after years of being very overweight and a new mother, I thought I'd be able to just carry on shopping where I used to. And it's a bit of a shock to find the clothes don't suit me and I don't like them, even though I may now be able to fit in them. I went on a big shopping spree recently and ended up buying a couple of dresses from somewhere I had previously thought was too old for me. The patterns were similar to other shops, but they covered my damn *kitten*!

I don't know what clothes I like now I have a choice.

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK, places like Topshop and H&M have very, very short skirts and dresses. That seems to be what's in at the moment and I find myself wanting to shout at people like my late grandfather did 'wear a bloody vest!' They're thigh high, all of them and they are supposed to be. No junior sizes, UK 6-16. But, my mum in law does well in those stores, she's a size 4/6 and is 4ft 11in.

I've no problem with petite sizes, I sometimes wear petite trousers. I'm 5ft 3in and have short legs.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Options

What if she doesn't want guys staring at her constantly?

I want everyone staring at me...all the time.

Which is why I feel so self conscious and uncomfortable.

your post made it sound like you don't want people staring at you wearing those clothes, sorry i misread it

I was joking...I'm doing terribly here!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if I was being clear about my moaning, sorry.

The point was that after years of being very overweight and a new mother, I thought I'd be able to just carry on shopping where I used to. And it's a bit of a shock to find the clothes don't suit me and I don't like them, even though I may now be able to fit in them. I went on a big shopping spree recently and ended up buying a couple of dresses from somewhere I had previously thought was too old for me. The patterns were similar to other shops, but they covered my damn *kitten*!

I don't know what clothes I like now I have a choice.

I'm not sure about the US, but in the UK, places like Topshop and H&M have very, very short skirts and dresses. That seems to be what's in at the moment and I find myself wanting to shout at people like my late grandfather did 'wear a bloody vest!' They're thigh high, all of them and they are supposed to be. No junior sizes, UK 6-16. But, my mum in law does well in those stores, she's a size 4/6 and is 4ft 11in.

I've no problem with petite sizes, I sometimes wear petite trousers. I'm 5ft 3in and have short legs.

Ok, I see. You are finding what style you like now that you have the choice.

I just mean because I have to shop in stores geared towards younger people I want clothing more my age and not flourescent crop tops and mini skirts. I thought that was what you meant.
  • maQmIgh
    maQmIgh Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I remember looking at all the clothes I would love to wear, but never had the figure...

I now have the figure, but my age is against me (all the clothes I wanted to wear are designed for someone 10 years my junior) I wouldnt feel comfortable in then (Sheep in Lambs clothing comes to mind) :(