Trying to figure out maintenance

Options
When I switched to maintenance about three months ago, I immediately gained 2-3 pounds. So I switched my calories back to 1440/day (0.5 lb loss per week according to MFP). When I lost those extra 2-3 pounds again, I started being less strict about staying within my calorie limits for the day. Now my weight is slowly creeping down by about 0.25lb/week. I am going to try increasing my daily goal to 1540 for a couple of weeks and see how that goes. I plan to continue logging indefinitely. Any suggestions?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It will take trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. And your weight will fluctuate. Pick a range (for example, +/- 2 lbs.). Weigh yourself weekly. When your weight goes above that range, cut 100 calories. When your weight goes below that range, add 100 calories.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That's pretty normal. Your body is replenishing it's glycogen stores, which includes some water weight. Everyone is different but the usual "gain" is about 5-7 lbs. Once your body has restored it's levels, that is your maintenance weight and it will fluctuate from that by about +/- 2 lbs. Chances are, you will not see the glycogen weight (I didn't notice a change in my body and had gained 4 lbs).
    The fact that you are losing at 1440 cal/day, shows that the weight gain was from glycogen accumulation.
    Don't worry about the scale too much anymore; watch your body.
    Eat at your maintenance level for 2-3 months and watch your weight (weigh yourself every few weeks). Try not to get upset at the glycogen weight (it was a little bit anxiety ridden for me to watch the scale go up). Your weight will level off. Start your maintenance from there.

Congratulations on reaching your goal!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    It will take trial & error to find the number of calories at which your weight will stabilize. And your weight will fluctuate. Pick a range (for example, +/- 2 lbs.). Weigh yourself weekly. When your weight goes above that range, cut 100 calories. When your weight goes below that range, add 100 calories.
    yup. this.