Why don't I get energy from working out?

Options
You always hear that "extra energy" is a perk of working out, but I don't get that, ever.

I eat between 1300-1600 cals a day and do strength training (at home with my home gym and free weights) for about 45 minutes every other day. I eat something sugary in the morning, carbs and protein for lunch, protein snack after workout, and protein and veggies (no carbs) for dinner.

I'm also breastfeeding a 15 month old and haven't had a solid night full of sleep since before I became pregnant.

So what gives? Am I not eating enough? I know I'm not getting enough sleep, is that what is causing this? I can't help but feel that I feel more exhausted on the days I workout rather than the days I don't. Which to me, that makes sense, but according to everything I've read, it doesn't.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Interrupted sleep at night is huge for me - throws me off for days if I have one bad night, so that could be part of it.

Hard to offer other advice as far as food & cals with a private diary. Making it public would make advice easier. :smile:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    1300-1600 cals a day while working out and breastfeeding?

Your question is also your answer. Strangely enough, the body will act fatigued when the energy input is dwarfed by the energy expended.
  • Xtal427
    Xtal427 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Interrupted sleep at night is huge for me - throws me off for days if I have one bad night, so that could be part of it.

Hard to offer other advice as far as food & cals with a private diary. Making it public would make advice easier. :smile:

It's public now. I just started the strength training, before I was just solely losing weight by counting calories. So I really have no idea what I should be eating now.

I have read about TDEE and all the other things that come along with starting strength training, but honestly it is all just gibberish to me. I don't get it at all!
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    People don't get "energy" from working out... I mean... the whole goal of exercise is to expend energy and fatigue the body. When people say they get extra energy from working out they are describing the effects of chemicals released into the body during exercise. Endorphins cause a euphoric high similar to that brought on by a dose of morphine (though it is unclear whether the endorphin actually cause this feeling or just block pain and allow pleasure associated with neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine to be more apparent. Interestingly, exercise is unique among "pleasure stimulators" because there is a certain amount of pain - at least 30 minutes or sustained exercise... maybe more - that must be endured to get the psychological benefits. Also, not everyone experiences them the same sustained "pleasure reaction"... especially if you exercise past the pain/pleasure threshold or never exercise to it. Of course having adequate fuel in your body is also important and it sounds like you aren't even close. The average woman requires 1800-2000kcal (give or take) to maintain weight, assuming a sedentary lifestyle. You are weight training and breastfeeding so ya... you probably need to give your caloric intake a second look.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    1300-1600 cals a day while working out and breastfeeding?

Your question is also your answer. Strangely enough, the body will act fatigued when the energy input is dwarfed by the energy expended.

This.
  • Xtal427
    Xtal427 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People don't get "energy" from working out... I mean... the whole goal of exercise is to expend energy and fatigue the body. When people say they get extra energy from working out they are describing the effects of chemicals released into the body during exercise. Endorphins cause a euphoric high similar to that brought on by a dose of morphine (though it is unclear whether the endorphin actually cause this feeling or just block pain and allow pleasure associated with neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine to be more apparent. Interestingly, exercise is unique among "pleasure stimulators" because there is a certain amount of pain - at least 30 minutes or sustained exercise... maybe more - that must be endured to get the psychological benefits. Also, not everyone experiences them the same sustained "pleasure reaction"... especially if you exercise past the pain/pleasure threshold or never exercise to it. Of course having adequate fuel in your body is also important and it sounds like you aren't even close. The average woman requires 1800-2000kcal (give or take) to maintain weight, assuming a sedentary lifestyle. You are weight training and breastfeeding so ya... you probably need to give your caloric intake a second look.

That makes sense! I still have no idea where I should be calorie wise though. Also, you were right in assuming that I have a pretty sedentary lifestyle.
  • Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Purely anecdotal, regular mom breast feeding requires at least 2500 per day to have an active lifestyle. You will stop making enough milk if you don't pack in the calories and drink more than 8 glasses of water a day. Calories are your friend right now.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I am not great at this, but let me see if I can help out. I see you logging cleaning and cooking for exercise, so it bring your extra cals up really high. From my understanding, the sedentary setting on MFP does include some daily activity, like cleaning, getting dress, etc. I would set it to the sedentary setting at about 1.5lbs lost at this point. Eat back 1/2 of your exercise cals. I just put in 1/2 of what it says. Maybe do at least 2/3 or 3/4 your breastfeeding cals. I am not 100% sure there. I do not log my nursing sessions, but I know with getting little sleep and nursing, I get hangry and worn down, more so that I like to admit. :laugh: I am not sure how to log the weight training stuff, as I have not gone to that point yet.
    Looking over your dairy, food cals seem to be a bit all over the place too. I was doing the zigzag thing, and if you plan it well, it works. I do suggest never going below 1200ish net, maybe more since you are nursing. I change my zigzag routine because the eating less days where just not working for me, and now it is level cals and I eat back 1/2 exercise cals. So far it is working better for my energy levels. I do plan on having a cheat day once a week or once every two week. Also, the best advice, sleep when you can. It helps.
    Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • VanderTuig1976
    VanderTuig1976 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I haven't found that elusive energy spike either....I have a similar workout routine, calorie Intake , and I'm nursing a toddler, running around after four kids, and working full time! honestly, I think our bodies are just over-taxed right now. Keep up the good work! I know it will pay off I the long run!
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I can tell when I work out vs. when I don't. I feel sluggish all day when I don't hit the gym.

That said, you are not eating enough to support breast feeding and working out. Even at your highest range of 1600....it's not any where near enough. Your baby could also be affected (nutritionally speaking) by your low calories. I would add another 1000 calories to your diet. Keep the calories clean for you and your baby's sake.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Exercise helps me sleep better, therefore I feel better rested, and have more energy overall. Having said that, when DH or my dog keep interrupting my sleep (don't ask, they actually have "conversations" at night) all that goes down the drain, and I end up tired and cranky.
    I'd also suggest upping your calories, probably, but i tend to tell everyone to do so (funny how few people eating 2000+ cals show up int the forum complaining about fatigue...)
    I don't even monitor my calories most days. Of course, I am aware of them on some level, but I know my issue is eating past being hungry, so focusing on that alone has helped me lose weight in the past.
    Yes, mfp was designed to help you keep track of calories, but I can't believe how many people focus more on the numbers than on what their bodies are telling them, and they chose arbitrary numbers at that, not informing themselves about the reasons behind them... (/rant over)