Stuck in Dumpy Clothes

Options
I'm stuck between clothes right now - my clothes that I was heavier in now look awful - instead of fitting nicely with a tailored look, they are baggy and dumpy. But I'm not thin enough yet to fit into the next lot of clothes that I have saved.
I don't want to (and can't afford) to buy clothes for just an "in-between" phase, but I feel pretty ugly like this. And I don't want to feel ugly while I'm sacrificing so many "happy vices". Any advice? Thanks for listening!

Replies

• nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Try a thrift shop or resale shop...there's plenty out there...you shouldn't need to feel frumpy
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Check either consignment stores or find some clothes on clearance (I found some polos at work that fit me in my new size for $3.50ea at target) Sell some of the old clothes and try to get something for right now. With seasons changing every store I have been to is selling off some clothes
  • plifsey
    plifsey Posts: 24
    Options
    I agree with consignement, I went to one yesterday and they were selling women's jeans for $1. May not have a brand name, but for $1 who cares right? As long as they fit, and you feel good!!!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Do you have any friends or family members that sew? Maybe you can have some things taken in while you're "in between".
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I agree. Thats my plan, I've got to lose 100+ lbs before I'm at my goal weight, and I can't imagine buying new clothes every 30lbs or so, I figure I'll try yardsales and good will, etc. Sometimes you can find really good stuff, when I gained an extra 50lbs and had to get new work pants (because mine wouldn't button :( ), I got like 5 pairs nice black slacks at good will for 50 cents each. Was a good day! lol
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    What about borrowing clothes from friends/family members? People who love you should be willing to help you out for a while, and lots of people have stuff they just don't wear.
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Goodwill rocks! And then when you're out of them, donate them back.
  • freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Try Goodwill or yard sales...I went the other day and got a shirt for a dollar and several things from Goodwill for 3.50....i have a lot of weight to lose and I cant afford to bye new things either,,,whenever I am between sizes I will just check out the goodwill store...and hopefully find things to wear to work. Good job on the weight loss.....you are doing great...keep up the good work!
  • MlayneW
    Options
    Personally, I would spend a little money on a few key pieces. I'm paraphrasing here, but "everyone deserves clothes that fit NOW." I am in a similar situation & have found that a couple pairs of pants have made a big difference.

However, if your financial situation is too dire for this to be feasible, ask a friend or family member who sews to take in your bigger clothes. Or, as suggested, check out thrift shops/consignment. Otherwise, I think you're stuck with the dumpy clothes for now.

2352212.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • ppennington
    Options
    Absolutely check out thrift stores. I volunteer in one that benefits a no-kill animal shelter and we get fabulous donations. I just went down two pant sizes and from an extra large top to medium tops. I bought some new bras yesterday and would absolutely recommend you do this as it made a huge difference in the way I look and my clothes fit. Gave me a lift (if you know what I mean) ! LOL Good luck and stick to it. Shopping is so much fun when you have to leave the dressing room to find SMALLER sizes!
  • skinnyminnie
    skinnyminnie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! So the general consensus seems to be: Go shopping! But at thrift stores! :happy: I think you're all right - I've done the 'just wear ugly clothes' thing before, and pretty soon you feel so bad about yourself you just start eating again. I'd forgotten, and this reminded me.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Need to go to GW's (as my mom, dad and I call it) Goodwill (or the Salvation Army).
    I have found very nice jeans and shirts for very little money. I too didn't want to spend alot since I had more to lose and knew I wouldn't be in them very long. I didn't like wearing the clothes that didn't fit any longer either coz it's hard to see that you have acutally lost.
    Hope this helps!