are chicken fajitas from a Mexican restaurant healthy?

Options
2»

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    No Guac?! :sad:

But yep - fajitas are usually one of the best choices, especially with the corn tortillas. I'd have some black beans for added fiber though if they have them (and the guac!!)

dont worry..I am crying with you !!! But they do not have any healthy guac! lol

Again, I don't quite understand what is unhealthy about guacamole. I make it with added onions, cilantro, tomato ( but often leave the tomatoes out ), fresh chiles, lime juice and salt and a tablespoon is 20 calories. Last week I had nine tablespoons with three tostadas and ate exactly 300 calories.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    In general I don't quite understand why people are so fearful of Mexican food ( apart of course from the US portion size ). I live in Mexico City and eat mexican food each and every day and have lost 50 pounds over the last year.

I agree. When I was in college I lived in Mexico City for seven weeks and ate traditional Mexican food every day, including Coke daily.
    I lost approximately ten pounds without trying. By the time I returned to the US, all my clothes were loose.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I go out once a week and I go to this Mexican restaurant. The only thing I can think of that is healthy is their fajitas. I get it with no cheese, no rice or beans, no guac and I eat it with two corn tortillas and salsa. I also do not eat any chips. What do you think? Its a hole in the wall so they have no listed nutrition =(

That just sounds so sad.

I'd have fruit for breakfast, a very light lunch, a good workout, and then enjoy my dinner
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Well if it is guac with cream cheese that is just weird.

I would see if they possibly have some iceberg leaves and go lettuce wrap. Add back in the cheese. Nothing wrong with that. Load the salsa. Stay away from the sour cream.
  • silencioesoro
    silencioesoro Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Healthy? Depends on what you put on it.

Delicious? Absolutely. :D
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    If you skip the tortillas there's little outside of the "whole food" realm and lots of veggies.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    If you skip the tortillas there's little outside of the "whole food" realm and lots of veggies.

Grilled chicken, fire roasted onions and bell peppers, some seasonings, cheese, maybe some guac or sour cream. It really isn't bad at all.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    that's my go to- I assume it's several hundred calories but the big kicker with those is- it's way to easy to over eat.

I ball park somewhere between 700-900 for it and just go on about my day- and try not to over eat- since I ALWAYS roll out of there stuffed to the gills LOL

edit: I pick a chain listed entry to add so I have SOMETHING- and I just ball park the actual serving size or numbers based on what it looked like as far as grease content and crap I put on there.
    This is exactly what I do with small family Chinese and Italian restaurants. It seems to work ok, as long as I don't fib to myself. :ohwell: