1,200 calories too low?

Options
Hello everyone. I'm kind of new to FMP and I wanted to know everyones opinion on 1,200 calories? Do you think that is too low for me to be on? I am 38 years old, 144 lbs. MFP said 1,200 calories which I was doing and very successful with loosing weight. However, the little time that I have been doing MFP I got sick TWICE, and I NEVER EVER get sick. I was thinking that perhaps my body was just not getting enough "fuel" nutrients, and that is why I got sick. I have spoke to some very nice people on here and so far everyone said that it is very low and that perhaps I should increase to 1,400 calories which I have. It's been a week and I'm so afraid I'm going to gain weight from these extra 200 calories. I appreciate everyone's input on this. Obviously, If I start gaining, I will go back down to 1,200 or maybe 1,300, but I would like some advice first. Also, I know when I exercise I get more calories, which I do take full advantage of.
Thank you!!:happy:

Replies

• TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    What's your height?
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Best way is to just increase it and keep a eye on it mate. That's the only way you will know. It's how iv always done it. But trying different things will help you understand how your body reacts to different food calories and such.
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to lose 0.5lb or 1lb per week and see what it gives you. You won't gain on 1400. And read some of the other threads on this subject.
  • Cathlyn777
    Options
    For me, 1200 calories is too low. It's seems like MFP default settings for calories is 1200 but not sure. I'm 5'8 and 124lbs. and I used a different formula to figure out how many calories I should be taking in and figured it to be 1632. I think I've plateaued at 124 and I'm having difficulty releasing the last 5lbs. When I told my husband (who's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to health and fitness) he asked if my caloric intake was too low. Try reading this article. It was very helpful to me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • janine2355
    janine2355 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    What's your height?
    five three
  • janine2355
    Options
    Best way is to just increase it and keep a eye on it mate. That's the only way you will know. It's how iv always done it. But trying different things will help you understand how your body reacts to different food calories and such.
    [/quote
    That's a good idea. You are right. Thank you.:smile:
  • janine2355
    Options
    Change your settings to lose 0.5lb or 1lb per week and see what it gives you. You won't gain on 1400. And read some of the other threads on this subject.
    I will. Thank you
  • janine2355
    Options
    For me, 1200 calories is too low. It's seems like MFP default settings for calories is 1200 but not sure. I'm 5'8 and 124lbs. and I used a different formula to figure out how many calories I should be taking in and figured it to be 1632. I think I've plateaued at 124 and I'm having difficulty releasing the last 5lbs. When I told my husband (who's pretty knowledgeable when it comes to health and fitness) he asked if my caloric intake was too low. Try reading this article. It was very helpful to me. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    Thank you so much Cathyln, I will look that up.
  • juliannorton1000
    juliannorton1000 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is low, but intentionally so... MFP also has goals for weekly time spent doing cardio activities, such as walking, running, etc. Doing an hour of walking will add in 300~ calories to your goal. Though, I'm curious as to what your eating, and speculative if you eat more fast-foods and empty calories than anything else...?

Its essential for any weight loss plan to have proper nutrients. For instance,, eating 1200 calories worth of vegetables would near damn-well guarantee you to never become sick, verse eating 1200 calories of restaurant/junk food could easily result in lower energy/immune responses in the body.

In the end, work out to get that calorie count up and eat right. Shouldn't have any issues.

Note: My wife has almost the same calorie budget, and exercises regularly with me as well as takes walks. She hasn't had any issues yet.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    1200 is fine if you eat back your exercise calories, like you're supposed to. So it's typically closer to 1400 or more, unless you're totally sedentary.
  • janine2355
    Options
    It is low, but intentionally so... MFP also has goals for weekly time spent doing cardio activities, such as walking, running, etc. Doing an hour of walking will add in 300~ calories to your goal. Though, I'm curious as to what your eating, and speculative if you eat more fast-foods and empty calories than anything else...?

Its essential for any weight loss plan to have proper nutrients. For instance,, eating 1200 calories worth of vegetables would near damn-well guarantee you to never become sick, verse eating 1200 calories of restaurant/junk food could easily result in lower energy/immune responses in the body.

In the end, work out to get that calorie count up and eat right. Shouldn't have any issues.

Note: My wife has almost the same calorie budget, and exercises regularly with me as well as takes walks. She hasn't had any issues yet.

Thanks you. Will do. :)
  • janine2355
    Options
    1200 is fine if you eat back your exercise calories, like you're supposed to. So it's typically closer to 1400 or more, unless you're totally sedentary.
    Thanks Francl :)
  • alleycat41
    alleycat41 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    hi, I am also at 1200 calories a day and I am 5 foot 5 inches tall and at start weighed roughly 218 lbs. I have only been here since last Friday and I am down to 213 lbs. I stay within my calorie limit and do eat back my exercise calories each day and i do 30 minutes of cardio everyday instead of just the 3 times a week that it says in my goals page..eventually i am going to add strength training also..I was also curious if the 1200 calorie limit is right for me..i haven't had any problems with it so far other than feeling hungry all the time.. before I joined MFP i didn't really eat that much as i often skipped breakfast and lunch and only ate dinner but I led a very sedentary life , since joining MFP i am actually eating more than i ever have before but still feel hungry where that was never a problem for me before..i am also exercising everyday when i never did before..any advice would be helpful i hate feeling hungry all day. I do not eat a lot of empty calories or junk food either ..i have been eating healthy so i do not believe it is empty calories making me feel hungry ..for those of you more experienced at this any help you can give would be appreciated.
  • janine2355
    Options
    hi, I am also at 1200 calories a day and I am 5 foot 5 inches tall and at start weighed roughly 218 lbs. I have only been here since last Friday and I am down to 213 lbs. I stay within my calorie limit and do eat back my exercise calories each day and i do 30 minutes of cardio everyday instead of just the 3 times a week that it says in my goals page..eventually i am going to add strength training also..I was also curious if the 1200 calorie limit is right for me..i haven't had any problems with it so far other than feeling hungry all the time.. before I joined MFP i didn't really eat that much as i often skipped breakfast and lunch and only ate dinner but I led a very sedentary life , since joining MFP i am actually eating more than i ever have before but still feel hungry where that was never a problem for me before..i am also exercising everyday when i never did before..any advice would be helpful i hate feeling hungry all day. I do not eat a lot of empty calories or junk food either ..i have been eating healthy so i do not believe it is empty calories making me feel hungry ..for those of you more experienced at this any help you can give would be appreciated.

Do you think it's boredom or are you really hungry? I noticed that happens with me. I think I'm hungry but I'm not, I'm just bored. Learn to listem to your body. Also, I drink a lot of water, And I read that if you are thirsty a lot of times it makes you feel like your hungry when really all you need is to get hydrated. Hope that helps.