No processed carbs or starches recipes

Options
Momjogger
Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
After a long winter, I am hoping I can fit back into my cute summer clothes. I decided to cut out processed carbs and starchy vegetables to start me on the right track and keep me full an healthy. Here are some of my favorite recipes for busy people:

Cook some boneless skinless chicken with season all salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. Cut the breasts into medallions. Refrigerate some and freeze others so you can use them as a base for meals all week.

Roast some broccoli in the oven (wash and leave it a little wet). Roast on 400 until the end are brown. Roast mushrooms, peppers, and onions too if you like them.

Buy a couple of bags of romaine lettuce mix. Buy a box of organic baby spinach. Buy grape tomatoes, and an orange sweet pepper as well as salsa and shredded cheddar cheese,

You also need reduced fat feta, a dozen large eggs, Cardini's Light Greek dressing, Cardinis Light Caesar, and Newman's Own Light Italian

Fat Free Greek Yogurt (I like Oikos or Fage), bananas, strawberries, grapes, and your favorite frozen fruit (red raspberries, Peaches, and sliced strawberries are my favorites) and a box of Stevia.

Meals:

Breakfast::

A banana and a hard boiled egg OR

Three heaping tablespoons of Greek Yogurt on top of frozen fruit that has been sprinkled with Stevia (I change up the fruit so I don't get bored).

Lunch:

Spinach salad with pepper, and tomato with feta and Italian dressing. Pack two hard boiled eggs with it and eat one egg and one egg white as well as an apple or strawberries for dessert.

Caesar salad with chicken. I eat a banana with lunch too.

Greek salad with chicken and feta. I like a small bag of grapes with this lunch.

Dinner:

Put some chicken in a frying pan and add broccoli. Cook together until done. OR

Put chicken in the oven and top it with salsa and shredded cheddar and cook until warm OR

Put chicken, mushrooms, broccoli, and onions in a pan with spaghetti sauce, barbecue sauce, and shredded cheddar.
If you don't like broccoli mixed with your chicken cook it separate, but it is good mixed with. Trust me. It reminds me of barbecue chicken pizza.

I always eat a salad with dressing with dinner. The Cardini dressings are tasty and low calorie.

Precooking the proteins and having the veggies on hand saves on time and if I eat before I get really hungry, I stick to the plan. It is also cheap because I always have something to grab and pack for a meal instead of buying food out. I always keep a case of water in the car and try to drink four bottles over the course of the day. One bottle between breakfast and lunch keeps me from snacking.

I also like to make chicken soup with boneless skinless chicken, a bag of frozen cauliflower and a bag of cut up butternut squash as well as carrots and celery and five chicken bullion. I freeze some for lunches.

I'd love to hear any other good recipes or time saving tips if anyone else wants to share.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you wanna cut both carbs AND fat so drastically. You have to get your calories from somewhere, how big a deficit are you planning? (Oh, and protein is expensive.)
  • juliegemin
    Options
    Some great ideas and they sound totally yummy. thanks for sharing your plan
  • Momjogger
    Options
    I don't understand why you wanna cut both carbs AND fat so drastically. You have to get your calories from somewhere, how big a deficit are you planning? (Oh, and protein is expensive.)

Not intentionally trying to "cut" fat, or carbs. I am suggesting recipes without starchy vegetables and processed carbs. There are carbs in yogurt, vegetables, and fruit. I can get boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.99 a pound, so it's not that expensive. There is fat in eggs and chicken, cheese, and the light dressing. Just offering filling, healthy, flavorful recipes that are built from a similar base to save time and money. Add peanut butter with celery if you are worried about fat, or have a handful of nuts. I take flax oil pills with my vitamin in the morning.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why not just eat in a calorie deficit and enjoy the foods that you like…?

cutting carbs/starches/fats is not going to make the weight come off any faster then a regular deficit…
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    no offense but if that is all I ate then I would be starving …what is that like 800 cals a day maybe?
  • Momjogger
    Options
    why not just eat in a calorie deficit and enjoy the foods that you like…?

cutting carbs/starches/fats is not going to make the weight come off any faster then a regular deficit…

Good question! I have more energy and stay fuller when I try to add more fruits and vegetables and try to stay away from processed foods. Plus, I DO like all these foods. I have a full time job, a part time job, three children, a husband and a dog, am taking two graduate classes and exercise daily PLUS I had a horribly sick and tired winter and the doctor said my white blood cell count is low right now (they do not know why yet - maybe a mystery virus. I am hoping nothing serious). So I am trying to stay healthy with nutrition dense food and hoping I will fit back into my cute summer clothes......
  • Momjogger
    Options
    It's NOT a diet plan. It is a way to piggy back pre-prepared foods to make healthy meals and save time.