has social media made you more self conscious ?

Options
social media has made me more self conscious about how much I weigh and in a bad way. some days I am scared to go out in public in the wrong outfit in fear that someone will snap a photo of me without knowing and post it on one of those websites. does anyone else have this paranoia?

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    No, my problem started since I was a child. It's the people around me who made me super self-conscious as I was constantly reminded how chubby I was and how much bigger I looked comparing to my friends. It stuch with me until these days. I am still the same way and have a very unhealthy self image.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,088 Member
    Options
    Nope not me.

I'm not on Facebook but I really don't care if people put up photos of me - I think it very unlikely they will just snap random photos of me and put them up - Im really not that interesting to anyone else - but group photos like a family gathering or such = meh.
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    there's a site called people of walmart and they snap photos of random people. a lot of them are of overweight/obese people. or those with poor fashion sense and hairstyles. I'm pretty sure this happens at other stores. the idea of being on a site like that terrifies me
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    there's a site called people of walmart and they snap photos of random people. a lot of them are of overweight/obese people. or those with poor fashion sense and hairstyles. I'm pretty sure this happens at other stores. the idea of being on a site like that terrifies me

This is wrong...I think these people who take the shots have no rights to do that.
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Your post makes me sad. I hate the thought of someone being afraid to go in public for fear of humiliation. I hate society sometimes. Sending hugs. :flowerforyou:
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Social media doesn't bother me because you can't stop people from snapping pictures of you and posting online. At least not in this state.
  • paperpudding
    Options

This is wrong...I think these people who take the shots have no rights to do that.

Yes Ive seen those Walmart pictures.

Have never seen equivalent in Australia though - not sure if privacy laws are different here or just a cultural difference - I can envision a big backlash if anyone posted a public site mocking people like that here.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Your post makes me sad. I hate the thought of someone being afraid to go in public for fear of humiliation. I hate society sometimes. Sending hugs. :flowerforyou:

Is society the problem though or is the problem OP's confidence/self image?
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me if they snap my picture but it pisses me off to see people do such a thing cause first of all no one is perfect. Don't ever let this stop you from going out cause the people taking the picture is the freaking idiots with nothing else to do.