What Should I Do When Calories For The Day Are Lower?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    But how far off could one tablespoon of peanut butter be? Would weighing be that much more specific?

Studies show that the average woman underestimates by more than 400 calories and even dieticians underestimate by more than 200. And since both groups were women that means their intended calorie goal is lower than yours, so the amount you're likely off is larger.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12396160

That said, I don't think weighing is always necessary. I recommend it at least for awhile, until people get an idea of portion sizes, but if you don't want to weigh then just gauge by your actual results.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    But how far off could one tablespoon of peanut butter be? Would weighing be that much more specific?

If my memory is correct 30g of peanut butter is 190 calories... thats about 1 tbs. So yea, 1 tbs can easily turn into 2 (cause I love peanut butter)
    Interesting... so how is it legally permissible for the container to list 2tbs as 32g? I am seriously asking out of curiosity, that sounds like a huge issue.

The volume measurement is an approximation.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

If my memory is correct 30g of peanut butter is 190 calories... thats about 1 tbs. So yea, 1 tbs can easily turn into 2 (cause I love peanut butter)
    Interesting... so how is it legally permissible for the container to list 2tbs as 32g? I am seriously asking out of curiosity, that sounds like a huge issue.

Like I said it was from memory.. I didn't run to my cabinet to check.
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options

Studies show that the average woman underestimates by more than 400 calories and even dieticians underestimate by more than 200. And since both groups were women that means their intended calorie goal is lower than yours, so the amount you're likely off is larger.

That said, I don't think weighing is always necessary. I recommend it at least for awhile, until people get an idea of portion sizes, but if you don't want to weigh then just gauge by your actual results.

You guys are seriously making me rethink even counting anymore! If all my numbers are that far off then what's the point? I should just stick with this regiment which has been working without even logging, right?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

You guys are seriously making me rethink even counting anymore! If all my numbers are that far off then what's the point? I should just stick with this regiment which has been working without even logging, right?
    then stop counting.

or... you could just keep up the same thing you've been doing already.. since it's working.

...and then you could weigh your stuff out for a week or two to give you a more accurate number, so that if you ever find that you're gaining/losing, you'd know how much to tweak your numbers.

or not.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

So if it's not perfect then it's completely useless? I completely disagree.

That's like saying rounding off the numbers when you balance your checkbook isn't perfect so you might as well not keep track of expenses at all and just spend whatever you feel like.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options

maybe... how close to goal are you? Like I said 3 posts ago, trust yourself to make the right choices and eat when hungry.
  • dpr73
    Options

maybe... how close to goal are you? Like I said 3 posts ago, trust yourself to make the right choices and eat when hungry.

i am past goal (still looking for my maintenance number i have been slowly dropping weight so needed to add more)
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    While I am not a purest like so many MFP when it comes to adding up calories... I normally just check my weight daily see what is happening.. i figure if i go down or up a little no biggy... I set limits on how much is too much and how much is too much each week and adjust my next week according to that... extra walking or an extra half hour on the bike... if i go over the limit..

However, if i lose too much I normally delete a walk during work breaks... I try not to mess with the food intake too much... because I know I’m eating healthy... but I may add some homemade trail mix into the daily snack pack..

Trying to limit my weight lost to .5kg a week.... so i can gradually enter into the maintance phase of my diet.

It may not be the best method... but for me it has worked...
  • AlysonG2
    AlysonG2 Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Absolutely. I thought I was measuring out "2 tbsp" of PB every morning before work. Bought a food scale and realized I was ACTUALLY eating 4 tbsp of PB. That's an easy 200 calories right there. Although I'm not sure I'd buy one if I was already in maintenance.
  • dpr73
    Options
    Wow. Now I am concerned I am overeating. I have been thinking that I wasn't but now I am actually concerned that I don't have the understanding of what my correct intake is. And honestly, weighing sounds too excessive (especially considering I am a student in college).
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

i am past goal (still looking for my maintenance number i have been slowly dropping weight so needed to add more)

If you don't want to weigh I don't see any reason for you to start now.

Personally though I find "eat more" or "eat less" too vague, so I like weighing.
  • dpr73
    Options

If you don't want to weigh I don't see any reason for you to start now.

Personally though I find "eat more" or "eat less" too vague, so I like weighing.

Do you think it's worth worrying about it ultimately if my weight has been largely staying constant though? I didn't know I could be up to about 600 calories off on any given day with what I have been eating.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the food scales. You've reached your goal successfully without them. Just keep going. Adjust your intake up or down depending on your results. Some people find scales essential for that but it's clearly not necessary for everyone. Do what you have found to be successful.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    first off...

I'm not sure how many grams "1 medium banana" is. I'd recommend using gram weight. You may already be eating more than you think. Until you're legitimately weighing your food, you're not gonna know how much you're eating anyway.
    I don't weigh. I measure out cups and tbsps. But why would I weigh a banana? I feel like that's more worrying then necessary. How many more calories can a normal sized banana be? Possibly 50? Same goes with apples...don't get why id fuss.

A food scale is going to be the best investment you make while trying to lose weight.
    Again I am not trying to be losing weight. Didn't weigh while losing either...I lost more than 60lbs by logging bananas/apples/pears/other fruit servings as 100 calories how many more calories can 1 banana be? also, how off could a tablespoon of peanut butter be? I don't pack it down or anything in fact I level it off extremely carefully. But come on...weighing my peanut butter and morning yogurt?

does not matter if you are cutting, bulking, or maintaining a food scale is essential….IMO
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options

Whoa...what brand of peanut butter do you eat? All the ones i've had are 90 - 100 cal for a tablespoon. I've not seen anything close to 190.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options

Whoa...what brand of peanut butter do you eat? All the ones i've had are 90 - 100 cal for a tablespoon. I've not seen anything close to 190.
    even JIF is 32g / 2 TBSP for 190.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    first off...

I'm not sure how many grams "1 medium banana" is. I'd recommend using gram weight. You may already be eating more than you think. Until you're legitimately weighing your food, you're not gonna know how much you're eating anyway.
    I don't weigh. I measure out cups and tbsps. But why would I weigh a banana? I feel like that's more worrying then necessary. How many more calories can a normal sized banana be? Possibly 50? Same goes with apples...don't get why id fuss.

Do you know that two bananas that look to be the same size do not weigh the same?

Do you know that one tablespoon of peanut butter does not weigh the 32 grams as the nutrition information on the jar indicates?

Do you know that small, medium, or large anything is in the eye of the beholder?

Do you know that one cup (or 1/4 cup, or 1/3 cup, or 1/2 cup) generally has more calories than it's corresponding gram count? In other words, 1/4 cup of nuts is more than a 28 gram serving.

Do you know that if you underestimate your calorie intake and/or overestimate your calorie burns, you are basically eating more than you think and will mostly likely gain weight?

The above is why it's important to weigh your food and measure your liquids, log all food, and log accurate exercise burns.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

32 grams of peanut butter is generally around 190 calories which, sadly, does not measure out to 2 tablespoons but less. Oh, the importance of a food scale for accuracy.
  • dpr73
    Options
    first off...

Do you know that two bananas that look to be the same size do not weigh the same?

Do you know that one tablespoon of peanut butter does not weigh the 32 grams as the nutrition information on the jar indicates?

Do you know that small, medium, or large anything is in the eye of the beholder?

Do you know that one cup (or 1/4 cup, or 1/3 cup, or 1/2 cup) generally has more calories than it's corresponding gram count? In other words, 1/4 cup of nuts is more than a 28 gram serving.

Do you know that if you underestimate your calorie intake and/or overestimate your calorie burns, you are basically eating more than you think and will mostly likely gain weight?

The above is why it's important to weigh your food and measure your liquids, log all food, and log accurate exercise burns.
    I'm sorry. I'm simply not going to buy a freaking scale. I am a college student. My weight has been constant with whatever amount of calories it is. I think I'll stick with these figures. If I do gain on whatever intake, I'll just cut down my intake to maybe one tbsp of peanut butter or take out some calories in my snacks. But honestly...I don't see myself gaining in fact I've lost .4lbs which I don't want to continue. So I may have to add a little bit more next week.