Weight loss over 100 pounds and skin issues??

mltdown
mltdown Posts: 311 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I was just wondering for those of you who have lost a large amount of weight if you had a issue with your skin sagging?? I have lost a total of 69 pounds so far and I have 100 to go and I am starting to notice some skin sagging even with a hour of strength training everyday on top of the usual cardio. So I was just wonder what you did to keep your body tight while losing :)

Replies

• tierra85
    tierra85 Posts: 300 Member
    In some cases it might be inevitable. But try exfoliating a lot. Also lose the weight slower. So the skin has time to attach to the muscle. I googled that once because i was worried too.. they had a list of things to try.

http://www.suite101.com/content/tighten-skin-after-losing-weight-a21365

http://www.bodyfatguide.com/LooseSkin.htm

http://www.criticalbench.com/loose_skin_weight_loss.htm

those are just a few i found
  • pizzy
    pizzy Posts: 47
    one of the first things you should of done was do strength training in the beginning, so that as you lost fat you put muscle in its place. but now, the only thing you can realy do is keep doing strength training, to help keep tightning up
  • mltdown
    Thank you for the sites they have alot of good information, and yes I have been doing strength training since I started and a 1200 a day diet with no carbs and extra protein I guess that I can just hope that my skin will tighten and stay strong as I continue :)
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Exercise isn't going to stop skin from sagging, especially damaged skin. Exercise builds muscle and muscle can fill in some of the space where fat used to be, but even that has its limits,

Also, while lots of people tell you to lose weight slower, that isn't supported by science. If you lose weight faster, then your skin may sag more in the beginning but eventually it will catch up to the point where it's not going to shrink back any more (wherever that point may be) and that will be it. That point is set by genetics, age and how damaged the skin is, not by the rate of weight loss.

Our skin is like a balloon. If you blow it up and leave it blown up for a long time, when you deflate it, it will not go back to its original shape and size whether you lose weight fast or you lose weight slow.

I have been blessed genetically and hadn't had big skin issues the other times I've lost weight. But this time age and being MO for decades have caught up with me. Oh and so has giving birth. :laugh: So I have batwings, a panus, saggy boobs and a saggy midsection (due to muscle separation). But I look great in clothes so I'm just going to live with it.

(And skin most certain doesn't attach itself to muscle! Skin floats over a layer of fat that floats over a layer of muscle that floats over our bones and organs.)
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Exercise isn't going to stop skin from sagging, especially damaged skin. Exercise builds muscle and muscle can fill in some of the space where fat used to be, but even that has its limits,

Also, while lots of people tell you to lose weight slower, that isn't supported by science. If you lose weight faster, then your skin may sag more in the beginning but eventually it will catch up to the point where it's not going to shrink back any more (wherever that point may be) and that will be it. That point is set by genetics, age and how damaged the skin is, not by the rate of weight loss.

Our skin is like a balloon. If you blow it up and leave it blown up for a long time, when you deflate it, it will not go back to its original shape and size whether you lose weight fast or you lose weight slow.

I have been blessed genetically and hadn't had big skin issues the other times I've lost weight. But this time age and being MO for decades have caught up with me. Oh and so has giving birth. :laugh: So I have batwings, a panus, saggy boobs and a saggy midsection (due to muscle separation). But I look great in clothes so I'm just going to live with it.

(And skin most certain doesn't attach itself to muscle! Skin floats over a layer of fat that floats over a layer of muscle that floats over our bones and organs.)

Makes perfect sense to me. :flowerforyou: Makes me very happy too, cause i was beginning to believe losing 30 pounds in 1 year wasn't slow enough :huh: :laugh:
  • I agree that it's like a balloon that doesnt really stretch back like it should. Some people do get luckier than others - me I waited too long to lose the weight. I wish I wouldn't but it is what it is. I will probably always have this "problem" unless I have surgery. Of course I still love the way I look now more than I did before!
  • mltdown
    Ahhhh that makes me scared that I waited too long too!! I hope that it will all start to fall in place
  • vickthedick
    vickthedick Posts: 136 Member

This is all around correct. I went from 225 to 130 in a year and while I do exercise I have also come to accept that, outside of cosmetic surgery, this is about as good as it gets.
This discussion has been closed.