Low Carb Diet

Options
Hi, I just started a LC diet this week. Has anyone successfully followed done a LC die. Any tips that they would like to share? Also, can you should how much weight you lost and over what time period?

Thanks

Replies

• nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by Low Carb exactly? Truth is, your weight loss will come from a calorie deficit. You could eat no carbs at all but if you are eating more calories then you burn you'll still gain weight. What you need to to is find out what your Total calories a day need is to maintain your current weight and then eat 500 cals less then that. As far as carbs/fat/protien? Just try to stay balanced. 40/30/30 (protein/carbs/fat) weigh and log your food with MFP and you'll lose weight without gimmicks or restrictions.

I personally lost 15 pounds in three months just watching my calories. I still eat McDonalds, Arby's, bread items, french fries, etc... I just work it into my calories limits.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Please don't mention low carb here , some other people will take offense to it . Not me but there are some others that will. As long as you eat less calories than you need then you will lose weight. But if you eat too much even if its low carb you will still gain weight. I wish you success!! It doesn't matter if its high carb or low carb , the calorie amount matters most.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I follow a low carbish lifestyle. Meaning I limit my refined carbs to make more room for fruits, veggies, and beans. I have a refined carb with probably 1 meal per day. Sometimes a girl just needs her pasta. ;)

I do disagree a bit with the MFP calorie stance its all fine as long as its in your calories. If I ate too much refined carbs and not enough of the other things I would be a raving STARVING b*tch, but under my calories.

I tried to do a truly low carb atkins style diet once. I lasted about a week, and was pretty miserable. I did lose 3lbs though.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Please don't mention low carb here , some other people will take offense to it . Not me but there are some others that will. As long as you eat less calories than you need then you will lose weight. But if you eat too much even if its low carb you will still gain weight. I wish you success!! It doesn't matter if its high carb or low carb , the calorie amount matters most.

Are you really going to preface every post with a warning because you had an argument you couldn't win? Get over it.. Sheesh.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

No one here is against low carb specifically. They are against the misinformation that people have about low carb diets. They aren't better or worse, in and of themselves, than any other calorie deficit diet. It is simply a matter of preference and adherence.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options

Are you really going to preface every post with a warning because you had an argument you couldn't win? Get over it.. Sheesh.

Took the words right out of my mouth...
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options

Took the words right out of my mouth...

Weeeee weeeeeeeeee!!!!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    About 7 years ago, I lost around 20-30 lbs by eating low carb, but I used a fairly loose definition. I didn't count net carbs, I just cut out all sugar, potato and grain-based foods like bread, rice, etc. So basically I ate meats and veggies, and that's all.

It definitely worked, and I remember it being easy to know what I should and shouldn't eat, but I did often feel deprived and I was hungry all the time, despite eating a shocking amount. When my ex-hubby and I went out to eat, I would eat two racks of baby back ribs (sauce on the side) and two sides of steamed veggies. It got rather expensive and complicated to eat out.

On the plus side, I did have tons of energy and lost the weight with little effort, but I don't think I would ever go that extreme again. It was a expensive and a pain in the *kitten*.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    About 7 years ago, I lost around 20-30 lbs by eating low carb, but I used a fairly loose definition. I didn't count net carbs, I just cut out all sugar, potato and grain-based foods like bread, rice, etc. So basically I ate meats and veggies, and that's all.

It definitely worked, and I remember it being easy to know what I should and shouldn't eat, but I did often feel deprived and I was hungry all the time, despite eating a shocking amount. When my ex-hubby and I went out to eat, I would eat two racks of baby back ribs (sauce on the side) and two sides of steamed veggies. It got rather expensive and complicated to eat out.

On the plus side, I did have tons of energy and lost the weight with little effort, but I don't think I would ever go that extreme again. It was a expensive and a pain in the *kitten*.

This reminds me when my mother would eat most of the freaking meat that IIIIII paid for with MY money and then get mad at me when I wanted to have some >.> LOL
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    No one here is against low carb specifically.

The evidence is to the contrary.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started a LC diet this week. Has anyone successfully followed done a LC die. Any tips that they would like to share? Also, can you should how much weight you lost and over what time period?

Yes. Lost over 60 lbs. First 42 lbs in 6 months.

Tips ? don't fear fat as you'll be eating a lot of it. Forget lean meat, diet foods etc. Low carb, moderate protein, high fat.