Milk and weight loss?

Options
I was reading an article about how Milk can help people lose weight if they have a cup a day as proven through a scientific research.. But what is everyones opinion on this?
My friend also suggested I drink Milk every day to help stop me from getting "stomach acid" pains.
Admittedly I hardly drink any Milk unless it's with cereal which I don't have very often.
Should I start to add Milk to my diet? How often? How much?
Thanks :-) can't wait to see the interesting comments on this!

Replies

• Vicxie86
    Vicxie86 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    All these scientific "research" will be the end of humanity one day. You have lost 26lbs so far without the NEED to add milk to your everyday diet, just continue with what you're doing.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    There have been studies that show calcium can help in weight loss, but only for those who had a low calcium diet.

For example: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19263591

All you need for weight loss is a calorie deficit.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    If you don't like milk don't drink it - if you like it drink it - simple!

As for helping with acid reflux - personally it made mine worse. I switched to making my porridge with Lactofree milk because of it. Losing weight however has solved the problem completely!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    A link to this research please! There are no miracle foods it's just calorie deficit and consistency.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    A link to this research please! There are no miracle foods it's just calorie deficit and consistency.
    Agreed. I've read countless studies on just that over the years and it appears that when people replace milk with something else......lets face it, milk is evil, the participants generally replaced those calories with really yummy foods like donuts and fruit juices and other wonderful refined carbs, which generally causes people to consume more calories. Saying that, there are some short and medium chain fatty acids in milk that are metabolized as immediate energy and not stored like all other fatty acids.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Milk is in pudding. Sounds legit.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I saw that there was some research into its use as an energy recovery drink, also there was something about the combinations of fast and slow proteins contained within it being beneficial.

No heard about any aid to weight loss but I would guess that any effect would be small.

You are losing weight without the aid of milk so drink it if you like it and don't if you don't
  • xnancyelizabeth
    xnancyelizabeth Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Where did the story come from?
    The study was carried out by researchers from the University of Negev, Israel, and was funded by the Israeli Ministry of Health and the Dairy Council. The study was published in the peer-reviewed American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

-
    I've read up about it a little more since posting this and there is a lot of mixed views and to be honest, it doesn't sound very believable anymore as it doesn't state how much exercise/calories they had per day so of course they could of lost weight in a 2 year period lol.