5K Run in January? Suggestions please

Options
Im considering registering for a 5K Run which is scheduled for Jan. 2011. Never completed a race before so Im not sure how I should prepare for it. 3 months is enough time to train right? I know its not a marathon but I wanted to start small and work my way up to a 10K, half marathon then a marathon (If I can even complete the 5K...LOL)

Looking for any suggestions

Thank You!

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k program
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Check out this site:

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

It tells you how to do the Couch to 5K program. Good luck!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    start with couch to 5k. The minimum time to complete it is 8-9 weeks (though I started in jan & still haven't completed it cuz I'm lazy, lol). And start running outside now while the air is getting colder. You will need to toughen up your lungs cuz running during winter pretty much sucks. Either invest in a gator mask to protect your lungs or start toughening them up with cold air runs. Just start a little at a time, and remember that there's no shame in walking a 5k or walk/jogging it. The goal is to finish & finish strong! :)

you can find a free C25K program at www.coolrunning.com
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    C25K. I started at the end of February and was done in April. I've run 5 5Ks since and I have a 10K on Monday. My long run this past Saturday was 8.3 miles...and it was fabulous! I was a runner in a past life, but that was before lots of injuries...slow and steady wins the race and C25K is a great way to do it!
  • loveme445
    loveme445 Posts: 2,439 Member
    Options
    Thank You All for replying. Im going to take your suggestions and look into the couch to 5k training program.

Trish, I might wait for a Spring 5K because it seems like Winter would not be the greatest time to do my first 5K.

Thanks Again!

Have a Great Day!