Phd Diet whey protien

Options
I've had this diet whey protein in my cupboard for months now, (used it twice) first time using it I done as it said 2 scoops to so much water (very thick) I manged to drink it but left me feeling very sick, then I couldn't bring myself to drink it any other day, so I didn't. Untill abit two weeks ago I used 1 scoop with the same water I did for 2 scoops the smell made me feel sick again, 1 mouth full and I had to throw it away,

Anyone else had this same problem? The brands phd diet whey strawberry.

I need something to repair my muscles as I work out 6days aweek.
Any recommendations? I'm aiming for a more toned body

J.x

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Protein powders have different "degrees" of tastiness.:smile:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Lots of lean chicken and Turkey?
  • fozzie500
    fozzie500 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I had phd synergy chocolate, it was ok ,but I've had tastier, use usn at the moment strawberry, which is tasty, or chocolate mint which is ok,optimum nutrition always get high scores for taste in these threads,just a case of trial and error. lots of manufactures do sachet's which you can find on the net, maybe try a few of those before laying out for a full tub.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Lots of things to consider. If it made you feel sick twice then you might want to check that it isn't past its use by date. Though if you've only had it for months it might not be; unless you brought one that was on offer because it was out of date soon or something. Best thing to do is just have a look at the date.

If it's in date, then send a message to their email or Facebook page, or the website you brought it from. They were good with replies when I contacted them. You might be asked to send in a sample or the whole container so they can test it. But just make sure they don't charge you for sending the package in or keep the product and don't give you a refund.

Either way: stop drinking it. Forcing yourself to eat or drink something is not healthy, physically or mentally.

To answer your question on recovery:
    Regardless of how many times you work out per week, you don't need to "repair" your muscles. The supplement companies and fitness companies want you to believe in their "recovery drinks" so that you think you need them for performance and rest. You also don't need to pay extra money for the "diet version" of their products. Again, it's a way for them to get you to buy more of their products so that you can "tone up" and "build muscle while losing fat". You don't their products at all. It's just business for them. Just eat a balanced diet first and foremost: get your carbs, fats and protein as well as your vitamins and minerals, from a variety of sources or just a few sources.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My favorite of all I've tried is EAS whey and soy protein, vanilla..or Kroger brand version of it, it tastes the same. I mix it with almond unsweetend vanilla. Sometimes I throw some berries or flax in it....but the almond milk is my base, much better tasting than mixing with water.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach whey protein beverages - I don't know what it is, but I always end up feeling very nauseous, and I know there are other people who experience this. I CAN bake with it - I often incorporate whey into things like muffins, pancakes, oatmeal, etc. So you might be able to use it up that way instead. I can also do protein bars - just not shakes.

You can get protein from any good source: I rely on eggs, egg whites, dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt), fish and meat for my protein.

If you're going for a "toned" look, eat at a reasonable deficit and hit the weights hard (heavy) a few times a week. You don't need any particular product or "recovery" drink to repair your muscles - just a good amount of protein throughout the day (aim for something around 1g/lb lbm) and adequate rest between lifting sessions.
  • leeannsandon
    Options
    I use diet whey protein in banana flavour but they hsve many other flavours all with very good reviews I get mine from Myprotein.co.uk its very good and pkeasant to drink, a bit bitty because of the flaxseed in it but you could always blend it
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    Meat, poultry, fish, dairy, tofu?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Maybe try mixing it with something other than water? I have never used that brand, but I have mixed my powder with unsweetened almond milk, rice milk, and orange juice. I've contemplated mixing it with coffee.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Maybe try mixing it with something other than water? I have never used that brand, but I have mixed my powder with unsweetened almond milk, rice milk, and orange juice. I've contemplated mixing it with coffee.
    I have mixed mine with cold coffee before....I had to force it down. Maybe if I added stevia to it, it may have been better? Either way, I don't think I'll do it again. :)
  • sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Off topic: Anyone can tell me what the difference is between regular whey protein and diet whey protein?
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Off topic: Anyone can tell me what the difference is between regular whey protein and diet whey protein?
    I don't think I've ever seen diet whey protein...Mine is 120 calories for 2 scoops. If I need to cut on the calories a bit, I use 1 scoop.
  • elljay91
    elljay91 Posts: 19
    Options
    I had this one, but in chocolate and it made me feel sick too. For me it was the flax seeds, the bits of it made me gag and the thought of drinking it again made me feel sick.

I bought whey isolate 90 from The Protein Works, they do really nice flavours. I got Chocolate Silk, really nice and not sickely :) pretty good prices too. If not, have a look at Bulk Powders :)
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Can you add it to a smoothie? 1/2 yogurt, 1/2 milk (whatever kind of milk you use) fruit and ice with a scoop of the powder.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've never mixed only water with my protein powder because the pretty much all taste like flavored sawdust to me.

I have to mix them with milk, fruit and if my calories allow, peanutbutter. And then I can only stomach the chocolate varieties. Luckily, I'm a big fan of eggs and chicken so I only use the powders when I've been to laze to make something up ahead of time.
  • Beastmaster50
    Beastmaster50 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Try MuscleTech phase8 protein powder. Best stuff I've ever tried taste-wise.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I finally switched to an unflavored protein powder. It tastes like *kitten*, so I use just enough sweetener (aka hershey's syrup) to keep from gagging and I chug it. Protein drink that tastes good means either a macro ratio that doesn't work for me (too carb heavy) or artificial sweeteners (which although I'm not completely against, it isn't something I want to have every day) so I don't even try to make them taste "good".