Help.. Body fat %

Options
Hi and good afternoon :)

I'm just wondering Is there a limit for how low your body fat can be?
Like your bmi if it's below a certain number your 'classed' as underweight?

J.x

Replies

• jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can't have 0% body fat. Women need more fat than men and typically have the reproductive organs stop working around 10-17% BF. Men are able to go lower around 3-4%. Both of those % ranges are seen in bodybuilders who compete.

Here is a good link with pics http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

ETA: Women will stop menstruating at different points, so it really depends on the person.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Description Women Men
    Essential fat 10–13% 2–5%
    Athletes 14–20% 6–13%
    Fitness 21–24% 14–17%
    Average 25–31% 18–24%
    Obese 32%+ 25%+

ETA: hasn't spaced itself out as I posted it but should make sense
  • DiKoehler
    DiKoehler Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    according to the table that came with my scale that measures hydration and % body fat the answer is yes, you can be too low. it is dependent on age as well. women should generally not be less than 22-24%. for men it is much lower. The scale is a Tanita.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    according to the table that came with my scale that measures hydration and % body fat the answer is yes, you can be too low. it is dependent on age as well. women should generally not be less than 22-24%. for men it is much lower. The scale is a Tanita.

If that was the case then all female professional athletes would be in trouble!

Below 14% for women is when you're likely to lose your period, though that's a bit of generalisation.