Weight training UK

Options
My daughter is thinking about starting to lift weights and I wondered what experiences my UK friends had gone through and what advice they could give about gym membership etc.

Thanks

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    So no ladies in the UK lift weights?
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi - glad you posted this question. I have been reading other posters ref Girls lifting and it seems to be mainly our US friends that are doing it. I have been watching at my local Virgin Active gym and did not see any girls lifting much beyond small dumbells and light kettle bells ;-( I would love to get into it because the results look great but may need to one of the real boxing gyms.
  • gemheath2010
    gemheath2010 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hey - I do!!! I'm from gloucestershire and go to a simply gym, which is awesome. We have a massive free weight area - I train in the morning so it's usually pretty quiet and I have plenty of time to spend working on my form etc.
    To start with it was really scary getting the courage up to go in and start working out, but now I'm just seen as one of the lads and just get on with it. To start with there was only me and this other woman who used to lift heavy, but I'm definitely starting to notice more and more women trying it out. At one point there were more women working out than men which was amazing
    I cannot recommend it enough!!! Not sure about the bigger commercial gyms though, but I'm sure the trainers could help show how to use the equipment etc!!!!! Tell her to give it a try, it's super addictive!!
    At the moment I am following new rules for women - it's a really good programme, I've really managed to build my weights up following it -I can
    Squat - 50kg
    Bench - 30kg
    Deadlift - 55kg
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Independent bodybuilding gyms are probably her best option - they seem to be popping up all over the place at the moment, and most will have female members - a new one recently opened near me and they have a ladies members group on Facebook.

The commercial chain gyms in general will try and set women off with light weights and circuit training so she will need to be specific when explaining that she wants to lift. She will want a gym that has squat racks and power racks or cages - any gyms that don't have these are not well suited to weight training.

Ideally she should find a trainer to get her started and show her how to do the big lifts safely, then she can follow a beginner program such as Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Thank you - she will need to do a reccy on her local gyms - don't think there are many near her though :(