STEVIA ...

Options
I know SPLENDA was considered a good substitute for sugar until now, and the next best thing is STEVIA in the raw.... I use at least One Packet of Stevia at least once a day (In my greek yogurt, coffee, green smoothie) sometimes 2 in one day... is this something I should cut back on??

Replies

• LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I found a great article http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2013/04/25/stevia-food-babe-investigates/

waaa I think im going to try and cut stevia out.... its going to be so hard!
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners do not hurt you. Unless you are allergic to them, no need to cut them out. Stevia is a natural sweetener and it is actually good for you. Don't listen to these goons who say they are bad for you. Utter nonsense.
  • dimsumkwong
    dimsumkwong Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I put about 4 packets in my greek yogurt and fruit meal. Unless you have some sort of sugar problem, don't go overboard and you'll be fine.
  • LaurenDanielle014
    LaurenDanielle014 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    awesome .. no sugar problem.. I realllly don't want to give it up either I just worry because im consuming at least one a day... I cannot drink coffee or eat plain greek yogurt without it!
  • farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It seems you have two threads as I replied to the same one on a different board...

I believe 'Stevia in the Raw' is one of those 'fake' stevia products, like Truvia. If that's the case, then yes you should cut back. An organic stevia like the one from Sweetleaf is a much better option :) I've been using it for a long time, and I can go through almost 70 packets a week. Additionally, stevia has been used for over 50 years in Japan with no reported detrimental effects. No doubt using organic stevia is better than sugar, so don't cut back if you're only going to replace it with sugar.
  • AnnaChanges
    AnnaChanges Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I use canderel sweetner everyday with my coffee and a use white sugar with my tea. Lost 36 lb and couldn't feel any side effects.
    Everything in moderation can never be bad. If we had to assess every single thing we eat and touch it would be nonsense.

Enjoy your coffee and stevia as you like it
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    It seems you have two threads as I replied to the same one on a different board...

I believe 'Stevia in the Raw' is one of those 'fake' stevia products, like Truvia. If that's the case, then yes you should cut back. An organic stevia like the one from Sweetleaf is a much better option :) I've been using it for a long time, and I can go through almost 70 packets a week. Additionally, stevia has been used for over 50 years in Japan with no reported detrimental effects. No doubt using organic stevia is better than sugar, so don't cut back if you're only going to replace it with sugar.

It's all the same. Won't hinder weight loss, "fake" or not.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options

It's all the same. Won't hinder weight loss, "fake" or not.

It's not so much that is will or will not hinder weight loss...artificial sweeteners are full of chemicals that are not good for the body. Stevia is a natural, plant based sweetener therefore not full of the chemicals that are found in truvia, splendia, and the like.
  • farewell_friend
    farewell_friend Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    ^^Well, that's your opinion, obviously. If I won't use it, I won't recommend it :) The more processed something is, generally, the worse it is for your health. And artificial sweeteners have been found to negatively affect weight loss.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/07/sugar-substitutes.aspx

Just one of his many articles about artificial sweeteners. I like Dr. Mercola's advice, so I follow it (most of it, anyway).
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options

Aw, man! I got Truvia thinking that it was stevia...guess I will use it up and actually get the real thing eventually.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    ^^Well, that's your opinion, obviously. If I won't use it, I won't recommend it :) The more processed something is, generally, the worse it is for your health. And artificial sweeteners have been found to negatively affect weight loss.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/10/07/sugar-substitutes.aspx

Just one of his many articles about artificial sweeteners. I like Dr. Mercola's advice, so I follow it (most of it, anyway).

Your information is completely wrong. I could not have lost my weight without artificial sweeteners, and I use tons of multiple kinds. The studies people quote about negatively affecting weight loss are for getting people wanting real, calorie-loaded sugar and jumping off the wagon to eat it. If one stays the course, they won't gain weight.
  • arguablysamson
    Options
    And those who keep objecting to artificial sweeteners on account of "chemicals" aren't thinking how literally EVERYTHING in your grocery store is loaded with them--from canned goods to packaged stuff. If you want to go organic, you can, but it won't offer any distinct advantages to just eating what is normally available. Your body filters out chemicals and any unneeded/overabundant nutrients. There is simply no reason to object to them because of "chemicals."

It has become fashionable to hate on these sweeteners, and for no good reason.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Stevia gives me migraines. So I use Splenda. It hasn't effected my weightloss and I am not concerned about chemicals. I guess it really boils down to personal preference.