The Truth About Rice Cakes

Options

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I expect more from the blog. Rice cakes. Seriously?

Ref: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/the-truth-about-rice-cakes/
    Yep, I'm glad they got that huge infusion of cash so they could spend it on demonizing rice cakes and other such ridiculousness instead of actually hiring software designers (who, you know, USE the site's software so they know what features to add/update instead of just changing the layout and breaking stuff) and a decent QA team.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I expect more from the blog. Rice cakes. Seriously?

Ref: http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/04/the-truth-about-rice-cakes/
    Yep, I'm glad they got that huge infusion of cash so they could spend it on demonizing rice cakes and other such ridiculousness instead of actually hiring software designers (who, you know, USE the site's software so they know what features to add/update instead of just changing the layout and breaking stuff) and a decent QA team.

:laugh:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I thought it was an April fool!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've actually been experimenting with a high carb diet in the last 3 weeks. I've increased from 150-200g carbs daily to 300-400g daily following Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight book to fuel my endurance running with a goal of leaning out to my best racing weight. In order to do that I've had to drop protein to .8g/kg body weight and fat to 20% of total calories.

It has taken my body 3 weeks to adjust to higher carbs, but now my weight is as it was when I started 3 weeks ago, my body fat % is dropping and my glycogen stores are maintained far higher than they were with a lower carb diet. I have more energy, I'm not cold anymore and I don't need naps like I did before.

I have found brown rice cakes to be helpful for getting the carbs I need without added fat.

How's your muscle mass?
    Her muscle mass is probably fine considering those are the sort of Macros a lot of endurance athletes use. Scott Jurek aims for 15% protein when racing. Rich Roll a man you could never say has a problem with his muscle mass aims for between 10% and 15% protein. There are way too many myths and scaremongering around protein.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    MFP probably hired their 'dietician' from the same high school where they got their programmers.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I used to love having a bag of mini organic apple rice cakes after dinner, for dessert. They were 100% natural ingredients, no sugar as they were marketed towards toddlers, and still are oddly.

I also sometimes like to have the less healthy Kallo chocolate coated rice cake thins before working out.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Would it be ok if I ate my rice cakes with peanut butter and banana?
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Rice cakes aren't a food. They are the *kitten* offspring of styrofoam and cardboard.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    MFP probably hired their 'dietician' from the same high school where they got their programmers.

Bump you guys. I love the app :tongue:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LOL! Eating 70 calories worth of rice cakes will make you fat — have a 400 calorie peanut butter and banana wrap instead!

Whole grain, of course, because whole grain makes it "healthy".

*sigh*

The thing I'm most surprised about is that things like this on MFP still surprise me.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    The thing I'm most surprised about is that things like this on MFP still surprise me.
    This.
    When the first thing I found I needed to do was to completely ignore their 'recommendations' for macros, it's not like it's a new concept that MFP is faddish and behind the times :).
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Healthy or not, rice cakes taste like crunchy air.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Healthy or not, rice cakes taste like delicious crunchy air.

FTFY.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

FTFY.

Especially when topped with peanut butter and strawberries, bananas, and/or chocolate chips.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

FTFY.

Especially when topped with peanut butter and strawberries, bananas, and/or chocolate chips.

I like to top mine with nutella.

Or cream cheese and jam.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

FTFY.

Or cream cheese and jam.

Ooooooh. Cream cheese and jam. Nutella naturally would be awesome but I tend to just eat it by the spoonful.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

FTFY.

Or cream cheese and jam.

Ooooooh. Cream cheese and jam. Nutella naturally would be awesome but I tend to just eat it by the spoonful.

Well of course, spoonfuls of nutella would be the normal method of nutella consumption.

But once in a while I like to mix it up.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    00056cd0-630.jpg

I was so hungry I ate a whole packet of rice cakes. I was still hungry so I ate the box they came in. The box tasted better.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Website dieticians are like doctors on television - not to be taken seriously. Doctors and dieticians you walk into the offices of are different. Those are good to take seriously unless something is flunking a giggle test.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Useful carrier for my protein I find - 2 rice cakes with horseradish and smoked mackerel today - yum!!

that sounds delicious.

I like the idea of rice cakes for smoked fish, gives you a nice light platform so as not to overwhelm the fish but without the sharp edges of crispbread.