Archery and Balance Board for exercise?

Options
I'm trying to find some new, interesting exercises to get some weight loss and fitness started. I was thinking about taking some archery lessons and making a balance board for some at home work outs. My question is, will those exercises produce results, or am I just kidding myself?

Note--I know there are exercises you can do on a balance board besides just standing on it. I'd be happy to try them.

My thinking is between the back/arms/ab work out of archery and the legs/back/abs workout of balancing, that should be a decent work out. Add some walking to archery and I'm well balanced?

Replies

• Callioperose
    Callioperose Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the calorie burn but I do use a balance board and it's very good to strengthen your core and I think most of the muscle groups in the legs. I started using it after a knee injury when my physical therapist recommended it. She said it helps your overall balance and core which makes you walk better. It works so it's probably good exercise even though it's not aerobic.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there is a guy at my gym that brings in a balance board to work out with. he's really cut. i've seen him do things while on it, like dumb bell curls and overhead press, but nothing major. i became friends with him, and asked him if i could try it. i snowboard, and i'm in pretty decent shape, so i figured i might be able to balance on it for a little bit. NOPE!! it takes a lot of balance (core strength) to do it. by all means, if you want to build yourself something like this to play with and get better, do it. but it shouldn't be the only exercise in your routine.

as far as archery goes, i've done it. it's fun, and can surely work out some frustrations. but as far as a work out goes, it's not exactly the kind of exercise that is going to yield big results. it's one of those things that you can get good at because of exercise.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    there is a guy at my gym that brings in a balance board to work out with. he's really cut. i've seen him do things while on it, like dumb bell curls and overhead press, but nothing major. i became friends with him, and asked him if i could try it. i snowboard, and i'm in pretty decent shape, so i figured i might be able to balance on it for a little bit. NOPE!! it takes a lot of balance (core strength) to do it. by all means, if you want to build yourself something like this to play with and get better, do it. but it shouldn't be the only exercise in your routine.

as far as archery goes, i've done it. it's fun, and can surely work out some frustrations. but as far as a work out goes, it's not exactly the kind of exercise that is going to yield big results. it's one of those things that you can get good at because of exercise.

I agree what Capt is saying about archery. I love archery and if I could find a range close by, I'd probably go several times a week. BUT, it wouldn't be something I'd replace my actual workout with.
  • MismatchedAlmonds
    MismatchedAlmonds Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Cool! Thanks everyone. Sounds like these ideas are something I should add to, say, walking or another cardio workout rather than considering it my cardio.
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Yeah. Archery is fun but definitely not cardio. It can build up your arm/back strength though depending on how heavy the draw is... my arms are always sore after a day with my sister's bow.