Anyone out there dealing with Lupus?

Options
amunet07
amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
I am going through the testing for Lupus and am wondering if there is anyone out there that has been diagnosed with this and what adaptions they've made with diet and exercise.

Thanks.

Replies

• amunet07
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller…Bueller? ;)
  • joy2157
    joy2157 Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes! I have had lupus for many years and was wondering if anyone on here had it! What kind of exercises so you do? Feel free to add me! :) We lupies have to stick together! I use the treadmill for my exercise and do some stretching! I also love to get out and walk while being protected from the sun!:smile:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    No--but sjogrens vs. scleroderma. Still deciding which doc to believe.
  • LCrowley83
    Options
    I have lupus, endometrosis, chronic fatigue and epstein barr. :(
  • rightaboutmeow
    rightaboutmeow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Yep. Lupus here too.
    :/
    Definitely makes things tougher, huh guys?
    Pretty sure I added all of you, lol. I need more friends who understand.
    :/
  • gotholga
    gotholga Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have lupus nephritis and sjorgrens syndrome, I noticed that a lot of the people with lupus are into fitness. Which I think is awesome.
  • soonergirl03
    soonergirl03 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have lupus feel free to add me as a friend. I was really into running I was running 5-6 miles 3-4 times a week but my lupus went crazy on me and now I cant do as much as I want to thanks to Methotraxte a drug I hate but have to have.
  • JnetCruz
    JnetCruz Posts: 1
    Options
    I have both Lupus & Fibromyalgia. Getting past the the pain and to start moving is 1/2 the battle. Aside from keeping the food healthy, I also struggle with going to hard to fast and then my lupus starts to act out. I've gained a TON of weight from being on steroids and have just started new food choices and Kaia (a women's cross training gym) this week.
  • natalia1981
    natalia1981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have lupus and I'm just about getting my fitness levels back up... I really want to start lifting weights too, am thinking of getting a personal trainer to help with this rather than go it alone but don't know how to choose a trainer that will know how far I can be pushed. I find being fitter helps me cope with the lupus a lot easier.
  • lucful
    lucful Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have lupus nephritis...only a few friends but wouldn't mind more :)
  • divone1
    divone1 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yes Lupus, fibromyalgia and Sjogrens here. Gained back about 30 lbs over this lasy year and need to get rid of it!!!!
  • CJewel22
    CJewel22 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am currently going through the process of being diagnosed with Lupus! It is effecting my joints, which is killer since I LOVE my gym time and was planning to do a bikini competition at the end of the year. I am usually in the gym 5-6 times a week lifting and do cardio 3 times a week. The past two weeks have been extremely hard due to my knees and back hurting as well as extreme fatigue. I 'm hoping once I get properly diagnosed and start treatment I will be able to pick back up in the gym. Its very reassuring seeing how many people live with this disease and are still able to spend time doing what they love. :heart:
  • lisajg7
    lisajg7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi - I was diagnosed with Lupus and fibromylasia about 5 years ago and believe me it is a struggle. I keep my game face on for the most part but I'm usually in a lot of pain. Sometimes exercise helps, other times I really think it makes it worse but I keep plugging along. I am overweight so I have been wholeheartedly exercising and counting calories. It seems that for whatever reason, it is so difficult for me to shed the pounds. I also have thyroid disease. I take medication for both thyroid and lupus. I don't see that the medications make you gain weight or make it difficult to lose but you wouldn't know that by me. Its extremely frustrating!!
  • Nancy1065
    Nancy1065 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have had lupus for almost 19 yrs. Right now I am doing well.. with fatigue being my biggest issue. In the past I have dealt with joint, lung, kidney and central nervous system involvement. I was even temporarily paralyzed with transverse myleopathy 6 years ago due to CNS involvement. I have also had blood clots. I spent MANY years on prednisone. It saved my life , but I have the figure to show for it too. :) Currently I am on Cellcept, Plaquenil, Monopril, Dextrol and Coumadin. My Dr is decreasing my Cellcept slowly since I am doing well. I see the Dr again in July. Weight loss is a real struggle for me. :(
  • crazymommy5
    crazymommy5 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome). I also sustained a spinal fracture a couple of years ago. I can't perform any exercises that are high impact. My biggest issue is my fatigue, so just getting up the strength to exercise can be a battle on some days. When I do work out, I have to listen to my body very well. If I start to feel any joint pain I have to stop. I have an elliptical and I like to walk. I also do some of the modified versions on Jillian Michael's (and other's) videos. I wish I could do T25- but that will never happen! LOL
  • pinksneakers1
    pinksneakers1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus and have gone from somewhat overweight to OMG what happened to me! The past 18 months I've been crippled with fatigue and joint pain. I used to work out and run but now its just walking - on the good days anyway. I'm just online researching swimming times in my area. I think its time to squeeze into a bathing suit and try swimming. I've decided that because there are days when i just cant do anything I've GOT to be vigilant with my diet. That's what brought me back to MFP....
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I've got Sjogrens and am apparently "On the path to Hashimotos." Doesn't seem to effect me much unless I eat my trigger foods. But if I do, then it's major joint swelling and pain, massive fatigue and horrible stomach pain. I have to cut way back on workouts during a flareup (really light lifting or walking instead of running). Nice to "meet" you all :)
  • Chillyfrog
    Chillyfrog Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Doctor thought I had Lupus for a long time, but it's true colors started showing and turned out to be Scleroderma. Autoimmune diseases, they all make daily life a little more difficult... especially this whole weight loss thing!
  • amunet07
    Options
    I'm sorry I lost track of this thread... I'd really like to have more friends that understand...please feel free to add me :)
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have Lupus, and have found that I need to live a pretty, boring, routine life to stay healthy. Changes in routine like travel, working too much, stress, moving, not eating healthy, can throw my body out of whack...and I get sick, cellulitis, flare ups...it is not worth it.

I eat very well, no fast food, or junk food. Veggies, chicken, not a lot of prepared foods.

Exercise, I stick to yoga, elliptical, nothing that is overly fatiguing, or I get sick, exhausted, and can't move for two or three days. I have overdone it, when I tried to do a Beach Body workout, and fitness class...That lasted for 12 weeks. I dropped out half way through. ..

It is frustrating. I can't do a lot of things...I can't drink alcohol at all, makes me ill. I get weird infections...

It is not so bad, as long as you take time to take care of yourself. ..That is the key to managing Lupus.