The track vs the treadmill?

Options
Hi.

Today I jogged 2.5 miles, alternating between running (6 laps) and brisk walking (4 laps). Then, I did some sprints.

According to my HRM, my heart rate stayed at about 180 while I was jogging. The highest it got was 190 (is that bad?). I'm wondering if my HRM is off or if you just get a better workout running outside vs. the treadmill? When I'm on the treadmill, my heart rate generally stays in the 160s.

Thanks.

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    according to my DR your heart rate can never be too high. you don't get a better work out out side but it definitely is harder to run outside than it is on a treadmill or elliptical.

that is why I do all of my running outside all the time rain or shine.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Well think about it this way. On a dreadmill the ground is propelling itself for you at a constant pace, thats just easier for you so you put forth a little less effort. On the track you have to do all the nitty gritty work.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Last time I managed to get to 190, I was DYING, but then again I have asthma.
    Did you have any trouble breathing? Dizziness or lightheadedness? If not, I think you're fine.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    my heartrate is generally pretty high.

and generally, yes, running outside is harder than a treadmill.
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    IMO, your heart rate seemed high, but I agree with other posters - see if you can still breathe. When I go all out, mine will hover in the 160s. Most of my running is distance, but averages 140-165, depending on the exertion. I'm sure everyone is different depending on their resting HR to start with. Yours might just run higher than most, so when you exercise, it might be higher. I'm guessing here, as I'm not a doctor.

As for outside? The track drives me nuts as does the treadmill. I fixate too much on the numbers (of laps or of the data on the screen). Give me a piece of pavement or a trail and now we're talking. I can only do circles and gym for so long. I do so much better with actual scenery that moves with me.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone!
  • truebrew
    truebrew Posts: 33
    Options
    My experience is that running outside is easier psychologically because of the simple fact that you are outside with changing scenery, etc. But probably harder physically because face it......running on the treadmill propels you, like running down hill effect.

But running on the treadmill is harder psychologically because you are stuck in one spot, boredom and despair can set in. Which is why I use movies, etc. to keep my mind off the boredom and to some extent the fatigue. But the treadmill is easier physically for the reason above.

Again, just my experience. Thanks.