Yoga

Options
Thinking of trying yoga (in addition to the T25) that I am currently doing. Since I am new to yoga I plan to start doing it a home first. Any good DVDs that you know of?

Replies

• 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I've never done yoga other than at home, but this was my first yoga dvd that I bought. It's 5 different sessions of 20 minute lessons. I absolutely love it, and actually bought it because I loved the scenery that he does his Yoga in. (gorgeous red rock formations) The level was perfect for me. I was a total beginner but was able to do most things. At the end of the 20 minutes I always feel sooo good. If I'm having any back pains, it also loosens me up enough to work out afterwards. I am now a big fan of Rodney Yee. He has lots of other dvds if this one doesn't interest you.

http://www.gaiam.com/rodney-yee-a-m-yoga/05-52899.html?start=17&cgid=3010200

edited cause my spelling sucks...even with the red underline thingies.
  • momoneka
    momoneka Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks so much. I am excited to get started!
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    www.doyogawithme.com has a great variety of yoga classes and you can search according to difficulty, disciple and time limit.
  • momoneka
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Samby_v1
    Samby_v1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    www.doyogawithme.com has a great variety of yoga classes and you can search according to difficulty, disciple and time limit.

Of course I meant 'discipline', not 'disciple'. The cult's on a different website.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you have a smartphone, download the Simply Yoga app. There's even a free version.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Doyogawithme.com is great!

I would strongly suggest though, if possible, attending some classes in person, at least to start. Proper alignment is so important for both reaping the benefits and for avoiding injury, and a good teacher in a basics class will pay attention to you and correct your posture.

If you decide to stick with just a home practice, make sure you start with beginner level videos and really pay attention to the details. Maybe browse Yoga Journal or other publications online and read about the poses you are exploring in your practice so you can get a better idea of how to hold the poses and why. Even the simplest pose, to do it right, requires a lot more thought and attention to detail than some might think. Even simple standing "mountain" pose is a lot more than just standing (but to an outsider...yeah, you're just standing there lol!)
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    YouTube also has yoga segments on it!
  • prabbitts
    prabbitts Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Rodney Yee, as some suggested, is excellent and has great yoga DVDs for the home. I also just started yoga, but taking classes. I love it!
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you can, try taking a class in a studio too! Of course there is nothing wrong with doing yoga at home, but I think there is something about practicing with a group and a live instructor that adds to the experience. My favorite instructor starts each class by setting an intention for the practice based on what the students have asked for that day, which really personalizes the experience. Don't be embarrassed to take a group class as a beginner- any solid instructor will provide modifications for different skill levels and yoga is all about being kind to your body and doing what you can do each day.

Good luck and enjoy!
  • momoneka
    Options
    This is all some really good stuff. And great call out about proper alignment. Didn't think of that.

Thanks!!!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    My very first yoga dvd was Gaiam's Yoga for Weight loss with Suzanne Deason, and after 10 years, it's still my favorite routine outside of a class I take saturday mornings.
  • dt3312
    dt3312 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I checked out a bunch of yoga videos from the library (about 20). My favorite was Yoga for Dummies. I have taken Pilates and Yoga classes. The class I like much better than those is Yolaties, which is a comibination of Yoga and Pilates. You can find this sort of exercise routine on the internet by doing a search on Blogilates or Standing Pilates. You might also want to do a search on Yoga Injuries, just so you know what things to be careful of in case the instructor doesn't tell you.