Healthy Alternatives to Cake & Chocolate

Options

Replies

• ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I've been making protein cakes. Tonight I'm going to have a chocolate peanut butter one: one egg, one scoop protein powder of choice (I used Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey protein vanilla flavor), cocoa powder, sweetener of choice. Mix together and microwave for no more than 1 minute 30 seconds (it will be really dry...play around with the cook time). Drizzle with 1 tbsp melted peanut butter :-)
  • riverain
    riverain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips are a strong dose of chocolate, one serving is 32 chips. Just let them melt in your mouth slowly one at a time, and get that chocolate fix. Alternatively, Ghirardelli cocoa powder only has 40 calories per tablespoon. I mix it iwth skim milk and a little sweetener for a super dark hot chocolate. It fills the cravings! Or, there are the chocolate flavored protein drink mixes. You get chocolate and protein at the same time. Win-win!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I just work the chocolate and cake into my calorie goal.

Not really sure what the 'healthy' alternative to that would be. Everything in moderation. You don't have to restrict the foods you love, just fit them in.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,618 Member
    Options
    Fiberone 90 calorie brownies
    Emerald 100 calorie pack cocoa-roast almonds
    South Beach Diet: fudgy chocolate mint or whipped chocolate almond snack bars, Good to Go Bars Chocolate
    Brownie mix: use unsweetened applesauce instead of oil and/or sub egg whites or liquid egg for the whole egg
    eat a square of high quality dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate or a whole candy bar
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Chocolate covered almonds. They're my favorite hiking snack.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mmm cake.
  • evastria
    evastria Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mhmm chocolate, would love the chocolate mousse recipe, @rutheglen!
  • FortWildernessLoopy
    FortWildernessLoopy Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    This is me personally, but I'd go ahead and have them when you crave them. I figured out that the second I told myself I am dieting or tried to cut food out, I am destined to fail. The truth is, this is a lifestyle change and there is no way in hell I am going the rest of my life without frosting or white chocolate (my two Achilles heels). I do find that the more 'healthy' snacks I have ie fruit, hummus, oatmeal, the less I crave heavily processed foods. Might I suggest those microwave mug cakes (also known as 3-2-1 cakes)? There's only 150-180 calories depending on the mixes you use and you can get some great chocolate flavor plus the bonus of the carb fueled cake rush :laugh: . With Easter coming this week, I bought a bag of Cadbury mini eggs and (after dinner when I was full), I divided them into snack bags per the serving size on the bag. 12 eggs for 190 calories. It's definitely a treat but nothing that will bust my calories and as long as I am still getting my full nutrition for the day, why not have a splurge?
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Covered Katie has recipes for things like black bean or garbanzo bean brownies and blondies, but she also has a lot of recipes for single serving cookies, muffins, cupcakes if portion control is a struggle.

The garbanzo bean blondies are actually pretty awesome. I like the black bean (or red lentil) brownies a little less, but they do fulfill a dessert need without me want to overeat.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate Yogurt-covered Raisins are my favorite chocolate indulgence. Low cal and yummy. Also small dark chocolate squares. If you want chocolate, just have chocolate. It can be healthy in small portions (assuming no diabetes).
  • angelzprophecy
    Options
    i eat a few chocolate chips a day to stay sane
  • jeskuhsmeekers
    jeskuhsmeekers Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i also do the fiber one brownies and cookies. they are delicious and only 90 or 100 calories and come sep packaged so you usually only eat 1
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You can find natural peanut butter with chocolate in the stores, now. Much healthier than nuttela and just as satisfying. Strike that, way more satisfying!
    I hear that black bean brownies are actually pretty good and add in some protein so you're less likely to eat too many of them.

Sometimes it's best not to find an alternative, but rather to train yourself to eat only a serving of those foods. Otherwise, you might find yourself trying to eat too many alternatives and you wind up eating more calories or fat than you would have, had you just eaten the thing you really wanted. But if they are trigger foods for you, try not keeping them in your house at all if you have a tendency to binge on them.

Have you ever tried nutella? I loooove that stuff. I have an apple or pear every morning and i dip it in nutella for breakfast. It's a good way to get in your chocolate fix without going crazy.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Something I can have for a nice treat in a normal size serving is Angies Sweet and Salty kettle corn. Costco sells big bags and single serving bags, and grocery stores have them in the chips isle. I don't go crazy with it, like I would cookies, but it hits the spot and I feel like I had something yummy. Google the stuff and look up the nutrition. Not bad. I've been taking it to the movies smuggled in my purse, too.
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I eat as much chocolate and cake as I want as long as it fits in with my daily counts. I have a piece of Dove dark chocolate almost every night as my after dinner treat.:drinker:
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    White chocolate is my favorite thing in the world so I found a protein powder that was white chocolate flavour. Tonight i managed to make protein pancakes with a melted white chocolate core too... My life is awesome!
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Ghirardelli 60% cocoa chocolate chips are a strong dose of chocolate, one serving is 32 chips. Just let them melt in your mouth slowly one at a time, and get that chocolate fix. Alternatively, Ghirardelli cocoa powder only has 40 calories per tablespoon. I mix it iwth skim milk and a little sweetener for a super dark hot chocolate. It fills the cravings! Or, there are the chocolate flavored protein drink mixes. You get chocolate and protein at the same time. Win-win!

Yes! I try to keep my serving portion to 16 chips, which is 80 calories. They are THE BEST chips and I can't eat Nestles Toll House anymore.

The cocoa powder is also amazing. So yummy.

Ghirardelli also has brownie mixes and the dark chocolate one is killer. Each brownie is 250 calories I think and worth every calorie. But you might not want them in the house if you can't control your portions. If you can, it's a yummy treat.
  • heatheremde
    heatheremde Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    http://www.foodiefiasco.com/ My go to site for healthy snacks, especially chocolate mmmmmmm going there now for a dessert recipe!!!!!! Cakes, cookies, ice cream, shakes, under 150 calories!!!!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Dark chocolate is actually pretty good for you and doesn't have nearly the sugar content of a milk chocolate.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Cake and chocolate aren't inherently unhealthy. They can be calorie dense and part of an unhealthy diet but they can also be part of a healthy diet as well. Do you just want something that has fewer calories but is just as tasty?