Just started maintenance and TOO FULL

Options
So I'm on week 1 of aiming for between 1600-1700 cals and every day so far I go to sleep feeling full. Today I tried extra hard to meet my protein goal (I'm trying for 40/30/30) and I am just full to the brim. Food baby full.

Did I jump the cals too quickly (was at 1450-1550 before)? or could it be having more than 100g of protein after being in the 80s?

I feel like feeling this full is why I put on weight, am I just having a maintenance buyers remorse?

Replies

• bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Your stomach will stretch out when it gets used to having more food in it. If you are really struggling try eating dense food -- i.e. protein shakes or bars. That said, I totally understand where you are coming from. Right now, at my level of activity I have to eat in the range of 3500-4000 calories a day and some days it just doesn't happen (seriously... it's a lot of food to put away and I don't like eating after 8pm). Relax your expectations about food -- some days you will over eat and others you will under eat. Maybe try thinking more in terms of a weekly caloric intake rather than a daily goal.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    It's fine. Your stomach will stretch out when it gets used to having more food in it. If you are really struggling try eating dense food -- i.e. protein shakes or bars. That said, I totally understand where you are coming from. Right now, at my level of activity I have to eat in the range of 3500-4000 calories a day and some days it just doesn't happen (seriously... it's a lot of food to put away and I don't like eating after 8pm). Relax your expectations about food -- some days you will over eat and others you will under eat. Maybe try thinking more in terms of a weekly caloric intake rather than a daily goal.
    i'm curious, what sort of activity do you do that requires that high of a calorie goal at (i'm assuming) maintenance?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't push yourself to hit your new higher goal. I'd allow yourself to hit your new higher goal.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    i'm curious, what sort of activity do you do that requires that high of a calorie goal at (i'm assuming) maintenance?

I'm a rower - working towards the national team so I row about 1.5 hours (6 days a week), do another 2 hours of aerobic activity per day (7 days a week), lift every other day, core every other day. It amounts to a lot. I am also very tall and I lead a relatively active life other than my training.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    So it seems that you've jumped by 250 calories max if you're logging correctly (1450 to 1700). That is seriously just over 2 Tbsp of peanut butter, maybe a 1/3 cup of raw nuts, a couple of Tbsp of olive oil... I guess it depends on what you're eating, but I wouldn't expect that kind of increase to make you uncomfortably full.
  • twhaley1990
    twhaley1990 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I was in that spot exactly a few months ago. Now I'm like how did I ever eat less?! You'll adjust slowly :) . Just eat what you can. Don't make yourself uncomfortable.
  • Dreya711
    Dreya711 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm having this same issue. Last night I ate extra to try and meet my calorie goals and I ended up with horrible indigestion and miserable. I've decided I need to buy the higher calorie greek yogurts, eat avocado, and higher calorie protein bars to try and meet my goals. I have continued to lose weight and now my new clothes are loose! I would have killed to feel like this a few months ago! LOL
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Options
    Eat foods higher in fat like peanut butter, avocado, nuts, full fat dairy, coconut oil, etc. Those are low volume foods with a high calorie density.
  • MACnificence
    MACnificence Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    ice cream
  • bkw61
    bkw61 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just posted this on my page! I ate a larger portion, 2 oz of whole grain spaghetti and 3/4 cup of sauce tonight for dinner, but ugh so full.
    It seems ave been trying to increase for three weeks or so by 25-50 calories a week. I was losing at 1250-1300. Now in maintance it says 1540 calories to maintain my wieght of 133, but struggling to get to 1425. And then so full!

I try to do the recommended 50/30/20. I never come close to the fat, always over a bit on the sugar- i like fruit- and even out on the carbs.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    This is a super old thread, but I’m giving it a bump because I am experiencing this. I’m doing a diet break at maintenance, and after three days I’m waking up still feeling super full. I’m going to give it a week before going back to a deficit, but it’s good to know that others have experienced this as well.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,447 Member
    Options
    EliseTK1 wrote: »
    This is a super old thread, but I’m giving it a bump because I am experiencing this. I’m doing a diet break at maintenance, and after three days I’m waking up still feeling super full. I’m going to give it a week before going back to a deficit, but it’s good to know that others have experienced this as well.

Elise, consider banking calories.

I do well at fairly low calories for several days in a row, comfortably full, but then I’ll hit a day or two I want to eat everything.

As long as my 7-day average meets my calories and is fairly close to my macro goals, I’m happy.

It’s really interesting to me. I can have a day I eat four or five thousand calories, but I hit the 7day button to compare and I’m still bang on. It’s like my body has learnt the threshold and operates within it.
  • EliseTK1
    EliseTK1 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    EliseTK1 wrote: »

Elise, consider banking calories.

I do well at fairly low calories for several days in a row, comfortably full, but then I’ll hit a day or two I want to eat everything.

As long as my 7-day average meets my calories and is fairly close to my macro goals, I’m happy.

It’s really interesting to me. I can have a day I eat four or five thousand calories, but I hit the 7day button to compare and I’m still bang on. It’s like my body has learnt the threshold and operates within it.

Thanks for the suggestion. This is a really good way of doing it, and I think my long-term maintenance will look a lot like that once I get to it.