Meal plans for FAT loss-not weight loss

Options
HI all!

So in my journey to getting back the body I had a year ago, I decided to try this paleo challenge. Let me tell you, it's not for everybody, especially for me! The first week I was so cranky, tired, my stomach was in knots and I wasn't enjoying anything I was eating. So I'm modifying a bit. I am adding very little carbs, such as oatmeal or 1 slice of whole grain toast for breakfast, and an occasional greek yogurt. I can't cut those out completely, I will go nuts!

My main concern is SO many people say paleo is good for FAT loss, which is what I am wanting. Not so much to lose weight, I feel I'm at a good weight at 155, but have a lot of extra padding I want to see gone. So I come to all of you in search of a good meal plan to lose FAT.

I work out plenty, train with my trainer 3 times a week and do HIIT on the treadmill or elliptical the other days, with the occasional weight lifting in between. So my exercise is down packed, now I just need a meal plan to support my goal :) I won't lie and say losing another 20 lbs would make me happy, but I'm more focused on my damn pants fitting again!

So any advice for this obviously confused lady?

Replies

• Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Bueller?
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    As long as you have a calorie deficit you will lose weight. Whatever foods you decide to eat are your choice.

To preserve (as much as possible) the muscle mass you do have while losing the stuff you want to lose (fat), eat enough protein and lift weights. Heavy. Since you are more concerned about your figure rather than a number on the scale (that's great!) then it would probably benefit you more to focus on weight training rather than so much cardio.

That's my humble opinion.

Also, use the search feature up there ^^^^ to look up "female lifters" or one called "Halp Lifting is make me bulky!" for some inspiration.

ps - Nice Farris Bueller reference. Love that movie.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Haha thanks! I figured that would get someone's attention :p

Oh I do lift heavy, 3 times a week with HIIT intervals on my other non-training days. So the workouts and exercise is cake, mmm cake.. but yes, the food has always been an issue. I'll do really well for about a week, and then boom, figure OH it's the weekend, I can splurge and start over on Monday.

Monday needs to go away, so I can stop using that as an excuse.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    I think you are right on track then.

I'm trying to reign my diet in right now as well. Did great for 43 days and I've been overestimating cals because I didn't lose any in that amount of time. Today I got back under goal, thankfully.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Haha thanks! I figured that would get someone's attention :p

Oh I do lift heavy, 3 times a week with HIIT intervals on my other non-training days. So the workouts and exercise is cake, mmm cake.. but yes, the food has always been an issue. I'll do really well for about a week, and then boom, figure OH it's the weekend, I can splurge and start over on Monday.

Monday needs to go away, so I can stop using that as an excuse.

If this is the case, maybe it would do you well to focus on weekly calorie goals, rather than daily ones?
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Well with my TDEE at 1329 and BMR at 1943 I try to keep around 1500-1600 cals a day although I rarely keep track, which is another thing I'm trying to keep up on. Why is it so damn hard to lose and so easy to gain??? grrr
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    At the risk of kicking off another 20 page war, I'd say, no, Paleo is not better for FAT loss. Hitting your protein macro is the most important thing. You don't need Paleo to do this. I could be wrong about this but I think Paleo is a bit restrictive with carbs - you definitely don't want to do this as it will affect your goal of building/retaining muscle.

Like I say, I'm not 100% if Paleo does favour fat over carbs but, IMO, macros should be balanced for optimum results.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I agree with your general statement that is is not about fat loss. I'd love to have a body fat percent of 10% and weigh 20 lbs more than the so-called target BMI. If I was working out as much as you, I would definitely include sufficient carbohydrates for energy.
    Why is it so damn hard to lose and so easy to gain??? grrr
    Well, for one thing, you are fully into the time of your life when your metabolism changes. A decade ago you may have been able to consume mass quantities and naturally burn it off.

You say you do not track food. Could you try tracking everything for a just a month? You could review it and determine if your intake is really lower than your use.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Might work for you or may be not. For me Low carb + strength training lifting did wonders. Lost around 35 lbs of fat in 12 weeks.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Posted before I looked at your diary.

I'd say your protein goal is a bit on the low side for what you're trying to achieve. 0.8 - 1g per lb body weight would be a good place to start. Fat looks okay and carbs do too but would obviously take a hit if you up the protein - for that reason, I'd say, you might get away with eating a bit more. 1700 would give you a bit more wiggle room.