How Many Struggle With Moderation?

Options
I am curious as to how many of you, cannot have large quantities of certain foods in your home, lest you eat them all ?

Lately, I have been repeatedly challenging myself, in my attempts to be one of those people who can have large quantities of certain foods simply sitting in their home, and only have a portion a day...and failing...then feeling like a total, greedy failure.

I am fairly sure as a child, I had a more normal relationship to food, but since having anorexia when I was 18, I seem to be incapable of eating a piece of chocolate, or a cookie, or a piece of cake, without this compulsion to finish it all... certainly the enjoyable taste does not help.

I keep trying and trying, and then feel miserable, certain that 'normal people' can have all manner of food in their home, and just have a normal portion. I have never been overweight, but this does bother me, that I would be classed by some, as weak willed, and lacking in self control.

Maybe the fact I suffer depression and am in a poor living situation currently, means it is not a good time to challenge my willpower in this way? I used to not even buy this stuff. It did not interest me to buy it. I would simply eat it when I felt like it, in whatever portion I wished, then return to not having it around. But I wanted so badly to overcome my 'weakness' around certain foods.

But anyway, my main wish is to find out how common it is for people to have to limit the amount of less healthy food they have in their homes, lest they eat it all.

Replies

• astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I trained myself to just savour one bite of a thing at one point in my life. and think.. this one bite is as good as ten. what will ten bites get me that this one does not get me?

If I am really honestly hungry I can still over eat on something naughty. But generally I'm pretty good at keeping it to just an ounce or two of ice cream or just one ice cream bar a day or just one or two ganaches even if I have a box of them with this principle in the back of my mind. It was definitely a taught or learned behavior though that I remember being extremely strict about for a couple years. Just one bite. Maybe two. No more. that was it and just as good as many more.

it's a good mental exercise. you have to think it as you're savoring that bite. Is it really better to have a bunch of bites over this one bite? I have the flavor.. I"ll remember the mouth feel. you can't wolf it.

the other rule is never to touch sweets when you're honestly hungry. and ask yourself after each bite.. Why do I need another? Am I hungry? what will I get from that next bite that is really worth it that I didn't get from this bite?

and put it down if you don't have a good answer.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I trained myself to just savour one bite of a thing at one point in my life. and think.. this one bite is as good as ten. what will ten bites get me that this one does not get me?

If I am really honestly hungry I can still over eat on something naughty. But generally I'm pretty good at keeping it to just an ounce or two of ice cream or just one ice cream bar a day or just one or two ganaches even if I have a box of them with this principle in the back of my mind. It was definitely a taught or learned behavior though that I remember being extremely strict about for a couple years. Just one bite. Maybe two. No more. that was it and just as good as many more.

it's a good mental exercise. you have to think it as you're savoring that bite. Is it really better to have a bunch of bites over this one bite? I have the flavor.. I"ll remember the mouth feel. you can't wolf it.

the other rule is never to touch sweets when you're honestly hungry. and ask yourself after each bite.. Why do I need another? Am I hungry? what will I get from that next bite that is really worth it that I didn't get from this bite?

and put it down if you don't have a good answer.

Thanks, some good ideas. I think being mindful is the key. I know full well that beyond a certain point, the food just starts to taste, well, unpleasant, but hindsight is not too useful. When eating is more emotionally based, it can take a long time to master the art of just having a small amount... you have to work, I guess, on finding other ways to deal with boredom, depression etc, before tackling trying to moderate treat foods. Truth is, I love healthy food anyway and can go months without any junk type food once I am on a roll. It is just, I want to know I CAN moderate that sort of food, put in that situation. I suppose that comes down to my perfectionistic tendencies.
  • lcroslin
    lcroslin Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I struggle with moderation too. I've had to take a 12 step recovery program style of dealing with it. I've given up the fight and realize I am what I am and it is what it is. If I have it around, I'll eat it. If I have one, I'll probably have two. So, I don't put myself through the emotional pain by tempting myself. I figure it's best not to have those foods I know are triggers for me. Plain and simple. If I do have it, I try to buy single serving sizes. Like a single slice of cake or the smaller ice cream pints. Or, I eat what I want then dump the rest.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    I had to learn quick how to deal with moderation. My husband eats constantly and is still fit/thin. So when he comes home he has dinner, a snack, and dessert, then most nights another snack, and that snack needs dessert (and I'm not kidding)

The only thing I can't keep in the house is peanut m&m's. Not sure why but they are my down fall. Everything else I can leave.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I struggle with moderation too. I've had to take a 12 step recovery program style of dealing with it. I've given up the fight and realize I am what I am and it is what it is. If I have it around, I'll eat it. If I have one, I'll probably have two. So, I don't put myself through the emotional pain by tempting myself. I figure it's best not to have those foods I know are triggers for me. Plain and simple. If I do have it, I try to buy single serving sizes. Like a single slice of cake or the smaller ice cream pints. Or, I eat what I want then dump the rest.

Yes, what seemed to work best for me was just enjoying my meals out and treats when I go stay with my mother, have the occasional piece of cake or chocolate while out cycling, but otherwise simply avoid. I mean, if I enjoy my healthy foods anyway, I guess it does seem a bit pointless trying to bend myself into someone else's form by testing myself constantly with the foods I enjoy but cannot seem to moderate...namely anything with that combo of fat and sugar.
  • RomulanWarbird
    Options
    I struggle with moderation when it comes to my favorite things. I love licorice jelly beans and a few other really sugary candies, like candy corn. I was at my grandma's a couple weeks ago and picked out all her licorice jelly beans, over a handful, ate them all, and not only is that like 300 empty calories- but licorice gives me a headache. Go figure.

But long story short- I don't buy my trigger foods. I can have other sweets in the house without macking on them constantly, but I never eat anything sweet when I'm hungry. I might have something sugary to wash down my dinner, but that's it. If you eat treats while your hungry, it might fill you up for a little bit, but then you get much hungrier not long after and sugar makes you crave more sugar!
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I try to always plate what I'm indulging in so when the portion I took is gone.. I have to be done. It seems to work for me.
  • SaraBLydia
    Options
    When I changed the way I approached life, eating habits automatically changed. Food to me is a way to sustain life, to live longer and to just plain be enjoyable. The more fresh foods I put in to my body, the more energy I have to do the things I enjoy. That's all that matters. The plus side of that is that all kinds of "junk" food seem unappealing and I never crave sweets or greasy food anymore. The plus, plus side is that the food I've been eating is more nutritious per serving than convenience foods which makes me satiated.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I struggle with moderation when it comes to my favorite things. I love licorice jelly beans and a few other really sugary candies, like candy corn. I was at my grandma's a couple weeks ago and picked out all her licorice jelly beans, over a handful, ate them all, and not only is that like 300 empty calories- but licorice gives me a headache. Go figure.

But long story short- I don't buy my trigger foods. I can have other sweets in the house without macking on them constantly, but I never eat anything sweet when I'm hungry. I might have something sugary to wash down my dinner, but that's it. If you eat treats while your hungry, it might fill you up for a little bit, but then you get much hungrier not long after and sugar makes you crave more sugar!

I never eat sweet foods while hungry either. I also know all about how sugar can make you hungrier and crave more. That is my issue. I only need a little and the craving for more is instant.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    When I changed the way I approached life, eating habits automatically changed. Food to me is a way to sustain life, to live longer and to just plain be enjoyable. The more fresh foods I put in to my body, the more energy I have to do the things I enjoy. That's all that matters. The plus side of that is that all kinds of "junk" food seem unappealing and I never crave sweets or greasy food anymore. The plus, plus side is that the food I've been eating is more nutritious per serving than convenience foods which makes me satiated.

The majority of food I eat is healthy and nutrient dense. I am very well versed on eating well.
    I also know that junk does not satiate me.
    However, I would still like to be a person who can moderate it, if it is around her.
  • HamsterSquasher
    Options
    I can't moderate at all! It's difficult as I still have to buy a certain amount of "junk" food as I have a teenage daughter. Every few months I will indulge myself and have a piece of chocolate, but I can't have cake in the house otherwise I will demolish the entire lot. I've been this way since I was a child so I know that it's something that will be with me for life.
  • Graelwyn75
    Options
    I can't moderate at all! It's difficult as I still have to buy a certain amount of "junk" food as I have a teenage daughter. Every few months I will indulge myself and have a piece of chocolate, but I can't have cake in the house otherwise I will demolish the entire lot. I've been this way since I was a child so I know that it's something that will be with me for life.

Been an issue for me only since I returned to counting calories and weight tracking really. I always loved sweet things since a child but I did not binge. I am curious as to how many people even keep large amounts of less healthy foods in home anyway... I have simply assumed other normal weight people generally keep in stuff like cookies, chocolate and cake as part of their regular stock.
  • Mismis28
    Mismis28 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The only way there ever is chocolate, cake, cookies, crisps, you name it, in my apartment without me eating it all the same day is when it actually is or when I am convinced it is my boyfriends' food, i.e. not mine. That's also I think the only way I can moderate myself at the moment, when I know it is his food I don't even ask for a bite but he usually shares some with me anyway. He's so much better at controlling portion sizes! So that's how it is for me.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I used to have a problem with moderation too (sometimes still do!) I find the best way is to use my scales, look at a 'normal' portion, what a 'normal' person would eat, check the calories and think I have just worked my socks off in the gym do I need a second, third portion etc. I have this problem with Doritos and now buy the small singular packs rather than a whole share bag, once my smaller pack is gone, it's gone and that's the end.

I find that not being distracted by TV helps me savour what I am eating, I have also slowed down when eating to taste every bite. Once I finish I wait a whole 20 mins to check I am full rather than reaching for more food, I have a glass of water and if still hungry will have some more. I found digital kitchen scales have really helped with the portion control and also try where possible not to cook too much food for minimal left overs.

Good luck with ur plight!
  • jimwon953
    jimwon953 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Since I've changed my eating habits, I no longer purchase any snack foods other than the ones that go in my stepsons lunch. But before that, if I bought a packet of biscuits, I would eat the whole packet.

I don't really know when my standard portion size when from 'handful of snack food' to 'entire packet of snack food' but I think it ties in with the significant lowering of price of family sized packets. In my local shop, a normal sized packet of Walkers Thai Sweet Chilli crisps is 79p, werea a family sized packet is only 21p extra. So, does it make sense to buy the smaller packet at those prices, but it also doesn't make sense to eat the whole family sized bag either but that is what I ended up doing.

Right now, there are tubs of chocolate and snacks building up in the cupboard because my girlfriend likes buying me little treats, but in the cupboard is where they will stay unfortunately - at least until I get to my goal and learn how to maintain it.
  • florentinovillaro
    florentinovillaro Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    For me it seems, the more I try to moderate anything, the more I end up wanting it. I approach it from a more physical approach. The human stomach is 1000 - 1500 ml in size. So my goal is to fill it up with the right amount of calories and mixture of foods, eventually letting my stomach signal my brain that I'm full. Basically i have 3, 4 cup meals at 1/3 my daily calories through out the day and it works for me.

I do notice on the days that I stress out mentally at work, my hunger becomes pretty aggressive. And I tend to use food as a way to cope or comfort from the day.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The human stomach is 1000 - 1500 ml in size.

It's actually more like 2000-4000 ml in capacity. But your stomach doesn't need to be at capacity in order to feel full or even satiated.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Always have.

Of course if I'm on a circa-1000 calorie deficit, it's going to be worse.

Ideal if I was living a few hundred years in the past, or in a part of the world where food isn't easy to come by.

Not such a useful 'survival trait' living in the the UK!
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    All the time, diets aren't easy but worth it when you De in those skinny jeans with room to spare.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Depends what for me. Pre-packaged cookies or chocolate I seem to be doing fine with, which is an improvement I'll add, it's the homemade stuff I have a hard time staying away from. So I'm taking an extended break from making those. I think part of it for me is thinking it's going to go bad, or someone will finish it, so it's harder to tell myself that I can just have more tomorrow (the packaged stuff I know I can just go to the store to get more of if I want, while the homemade stuff would require making a whole new batch, so I don't want to do that).