what got you motivated to lose weight?

Options
hi everyone!
I've been feeling down and discouraged. I need to lose 20-30 pounds. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but when you are 5'2'' it makes a huge difference! I started off buying some working out clothes online. I'm hoping that it'll help motivate me seeing how I hardly have any clothes that fit me since having my son 8 months ago and it makes me feel self conscious having few comfortable clothes.

What motivated you to lose weight?

Replies

• LizzClo
    LizzClo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What motivated me was also not having any nice clothes that fit, couldn't really afford to buy clothes, but had boxes of nice clothes that used to fit. Also feeling like the fat one in my group of friends helped too. I started a lifestyle and exercise change about 9 months after having my little one. Once I actually put my mind to it the weight started coming off and I started to fit back into those nicer clothes. One of my best NSV was fitting back into my leather jacket. Even now when I have a bad day I feel better just wearing that leather jacket.
  • harrypotter22
    harrypotter22 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    ooh i had a lot of reasons
    mainly not looking nice in my clothes, being so out of breath while walking/riding my bike i couldn't do more than 20 minutes, pains in my legs from the stress (jk i was only 160 i don't think that happened XD), feeling reallly self concious and wanting to just be happy and content.
    being confident mainly though and feeling nice in my clothes.
  • RiverRun61
    Options
    Too many reasons to list - but top of the pile are: 1) tired of the self-hatred and 2) tired of being uncomfortable and 3) tired of having to think about how I look. (Thankfully, I'm in good health.)
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I knew I needed and sort of half attempted, but then my BF had a health scare and lost 40 pounds, making him weigh less then me! Plus, we are both over 50, and we want to be healthy together. So I am very serious about it now. When I get frustrated, he motivates me.
  • mommyofanangelboy
    mommyofanangelboy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! my husband weighs less than me at the moment & it makes me feel less like a woman (if that makes sense?) I just feel too manly being heavier. :indifferent: but I know I will get back to a healthy weight at some point. How long did it take any of you's to lose the first 5 pounds?
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I saw some old pictures of me and realised how big I had gotten. It was a wake up call.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I decided i was tired of having to use a forklift to leave the house.

Did you not get enough attention as a child? Or is there some other reason you're writing unfunny and irritating troll comments in every thread?
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Pinterest fitness section.
  • 2Bhealthier2
    2Bhealthier2 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Like most people I have many reasons but in order here they are:

1. Health reasons-my dad, and 2 brothers are diabetics. My dad has kidney failure, congestive heart failure, nerve issues, eye sight loss and other things. I don't want to go down that road and I don't want my boys to have to watch me suffer because I didn't take care of myself.
    2. Tired of wearing Women's clothing.
    3. Weighed more then my hubby (don't anymore :) ) and
    4. Trouble hiking with my family, out of breath, red in the face and slow.

There are other reasons but these were the main.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Hahahaha.. Very tempted to post the story, but I fear I might get moderated on if I do!
    Let's just say....

I didn't enjoy dancing when stuff "jiggled" XD
  • jennifries227
    jennifries227 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My motivation for exercising is eating more... My motivation for losing weight? I got sick for three straight months, and I don't want that to ever happen again. I just remember that, and suddenly that cheesecake doesn't look as tasty. My boyfriend is also losing weight, so keeping up with him is also great motivation.
  • freemystery
    freemystery Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I store weight in just one section of my body- basically everything below my navel and above my knees seemed to balloon. And yet everywhere else I was the same size! It was kind of funny if it wasn't so horrible to deal with.

It's literally like having tyre around you. Luckily first place on = last place off and it's still a relatively early intervention with only 30lbs to lose. It means I have less margin for error but I'm looking forward to having clothes fit me again!
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My main reason, honestly, was that MOST of my boyfriend's exes were all tiny. And I was a little more on the chunky side in some spots. My other reasons were that I had a whole bunch of new bikinis that I couldnt wear because I didnt feel confident in them, but what really kept me motivated when I thought about sitting on my butt all day was the quote "picture yourself a year from now." And it reallllyyy motivated me to keep going with my workouts every day!
  • ldnmaggie
    ldnmaggie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Sooo many but heres a few
    1) Not being able to walk up the stairs without being out of breath
    2) My back being so sore from all the excess weight.
    3) Self confidence...... Fed up of hating myself
    4) Nice clothes....
    5) Don't want to be the "fat friend" anymore
  • mynamealex
    Options
    1. inner feeling
    2. living healthier
    3. self esteem

and just stop entering junk to my body
  • dortilolma
    dortilolma Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My primary motivator is that I'm getting married in the summer and I am bigger than I'm comfortable with.
    My clothes were also getting tighter and I had been slowly gaining for a year or so.
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've never looked big but a couple of years ago, I was skinny fat. That means that you're thin and your BMI is in check, but your body fat percentage is actually quite high. I was eating so much crap, never exercising, but everyone would tell me I had a great figure so I though I was fine, even though I hated what I saw in the mirror. I actually though I had body dysmorphia for a while, because I thought I wasn't seeing what everyone else saw. (Even though I did once like how my body looked when I was kickboxing about 4 years ago).

So I cut a lot of my crap food, bought some Jillian Michaels DVDs and actually started to like what I saw. But then over the last few years, I would continuously eat, well and fall off of the wagon, and go back again. So then I joined MFP to get myself some consistency.
  • murdledoe
    murdledoe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was tired of not feeling well and I was sure most of it was do to weight gain. I didn't have the energy to be active with the family and I hated being on the side lines watching and one thing I really miss is being able to tuck a shirt in and feel good about it. That is my goal. Looking good with a shirt tucked in!
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Hubby telling me I was getting big lol