Experiences with going raw/mostly raw?

Options
I know this is a kind of controversial topic but i'm interested in trying a mostly raw vegan diet for a while probably 70-80 percent. I crave mostly raw foods in spring and summer anyways and i just want to challenge myself to eat the purest most whole food diet possible. it's not about weight loss or about becoming raw forever its just about trying things out to see what feels the best for my body.
Anyone tried this? I've read into it alot but it seems to be mostly extremists who i've read about who believe if you aren't eating all raw you aren't eating right. I'd love to hear varied experiences from real people.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    If your getting adequate macro and micronutrients then I don't see a problem. Personally it would never cross my mind in 750,000 yrs.:wink:
  • dmeyerman
    dmeyerman Posts: 27
    Options
    Eat as much as you can, it's as healthy as it gets. Nothing to worry about consuming RAW veggies all day long!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Eat as much as you can, it's as healthy as it gets. Nothing to worry about consuming RAW veggies all day long!
    Except the 2 essential macronurients than most veg have very little of.
  • thisonewillwork
    thisonewillwork Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I tried it for about 3-4 days. I lost lots of weight and didn't feel hungry. The problem was that my stomach didn't like it. I had pains like cramps so decided to give it up. I still try to eat as much raw as I can though, just not everything.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I ate mostly raw, not all but mostly. Raw fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. I get most of my daily calories from salads with oils in them and nuts and seeds. About 70 to 80% or so. I don't really consider myself a raw vegan cos it's not 100% and I don't do it for the sake of eating raw in first place. I just do it cos that's the foods I like the most. But I would say it;s pretty nice. A lot of raw veggies keeps me full and I won't feel heavy and bloated, or tired and sleepy, as I might after big portion of cooked rice or something. I think this is why the raw diets works for so many people - fiber keeps you full while having very little calories. I have to add very much oils and ate a lot of nuts and seeds to meet my calories requirements. It's pretty easy to go below and still feel full.
  • samamps88
    samamps88 Posts: 52
    Options

And award for most common stupid answer in the world goes to....

I have nothing against eating raw, I dont cook many of my veggies at all and I know the op never said they were doing it to lose weight, but the belief that by eating healthy raw foods it is a free for all to eat as much as you want you still have to maintain a defecit (rember nuts, seeds, and fruit all have quite a few calories in them)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    A raw high carbohydrate, low fat raw vegan diet is about the best you can do. I eat a mostly raw diet. Things i noticed:
    Increased stamina,
    faster cycling speed,
    I feel happier,
    Better cognitive ability,
    rock hard, uh, let's just say "pianist",
    increased libido,
    stronger fingernails,
    symptoms of various diseases went away,
    less intense hunger feelings,
    less cravings for junk food,
    sex feels better,
    less aggression,
    better breathing,
    ability to produce my own food in my garden,
    more confidence,
    faster recovery time after workouts,
    poop comes out in solid logs,
    skin is clearer,
    breath is better,
    poo doesn't smell as bad,
    better sleep,
    lost weight,
    too many advantages to list them all.

Pretty much healthier in every way i could possibly imagine. I highly recommend this way of eating. I feel like i'm 19 years old again.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    A raw high carbohydrate, low fat raw vegan diet is about the best you can do. I eat a mostly raw diet. Things i noticed:
    Increased stamina,
    faster cycling speed,
    I feel happier,
    increased libido,
    stronger fingernails,
    sex feels better,
    less aggression,
    better breathing,
    more confidence,
    skin is clearer,
    breath is better,
    better sleep,
    lost weight,

Pretty much healthier in every way i could possibly imagine. I highly recommend this way of eating. I feel like i'm 19 years old again.

And none of that was due to losing 53lbs eh? :noway:

OP - if you hit your macros fine - but you will be deficit in B12.
  • 1shirley
    1shirley Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would say to look up Mimi Kirk on youtube. She eats totally raw and has great recipes. She's a lot older than you, possibly 74 or so, but pretty amazing. My only suggestion is to be sure to get your B vitamins. I have tried 80% raw, but noticed a thinning of my hair that I did not like, and when I researched, this is a major problem. Go for it. Certainly it's healthier and 80% is perfect.
  • poohbah4
    poohbah4 Posts: 127
    Options
    Some veggies shouldn't be eaten raw. Oddly enough, and against modern thought, spinach and the coles (cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, etc) are on that list, as well as potatoes.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/think-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again/

But I would imagine that many of you don't agree. As long as you eat these in moderation, they won't kill you. :sick:
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I have always been interested in going vegan and was vegetarian for a year, but is there any way to get 100g of protein while not overloading on carbs?

General question, hopefully it's not too off-topic!
  • lavender_fairie
    lavender_fairie Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did it for a month and it was good- lost weight, felt pretty good. But I quickly got tired of it.

Vegetarianism was much easier for me and I stuck with it for years. Eventually I stopped tho bc I like meat .

I eat what I feel likw eating. I inderstand that certain seasons just work better for certain foods. My foray into raw eating was last summer and I was soo hot all the time. Warm food wasn't appetizing.

You could try it for a month and see how you like it. My main reasons for stopping were: I spent a ton of time-money at the grocery , and I got sick of not having my normal, fairly healthy, fairly quick go-to meals available. But u r not me and you might have a different experience.

Also, to everyone, I am no expert on anything; this is just my personal experience. :)
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian trying to transition to veganism but I don't think I could ever do raw veganism. At least not now as a college student living on my school's limited meal plan with very little spending money for groceries. If you think you could do it, then try it out. If you like it, great! If its not for you, oh well. Theres no harm in trying it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

How do you get enough leucine, arguably the most important EAA?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Increased stamina,
    faster cycling speed,
    I feel happier,
    increased libido,
    stronger fingernails,
    sex feels better,
    less aggression,
    better breathing,
    more confidence,
    skin is clearer,
    breath is better,
    better sleep,
    lost weight,

I got that entire list (well except the rock hard part) from losing weight and watching my protien and fats too...

I don't have bad breath because I floss and brush, I am less hungry due to extra protien, less agression because I am not angry cause I am fat, not gonna go near the solid poo thing not sure why that is there, my nails are rock hard...my hair is extremely healthy, strong and shiny (even got a wet nose now too :laugh: )

You always had the ability to produce food in your own yard btw..I've done it for 6 years...
    confidence shouldn't be affected by the food you eat..maybe the weight you lost,

Anyway everything you listed has happened to me as well (except growing food and increased libido not sure my husband would want that anyway :blushing: ) and has happened to lots and it has nothing to do with raw food etc. It all happens when you have better nutrition than you did before, when you exercise more and lose weight...
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Look at that 70 yea old woman who lok 40, who eats raw - you tube it!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Well I know I base all my important decisions on youtube videos.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Well I know I base all my important decisions on youtube videos.

I didn't realize there was a youtube video about this.

Yup, time for me to radically change how I eat/live.
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I work with someone who eats raw fruit and vegetables and he has lost a lot of weight and he says he feels great. The only time he doesn’t eat raw is when he is on holiday or eating a meal out. He his currently writing a book about his experience eating raw.
  • dmeyerman
    dmeyerman Posts: 27
    Options
    Don't hate on veggies. ;)