protein

Options
I keep hearing about protein shakes and stuff like that but I dont really eat meat and keep coming in over my protein limit. Any suggestions? Will that make me gain weight even though I come in under on calories?

Replies

• nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The limits here are really just a guide. I personally find it incredibly difficult to stay under all the limits because what might be high in protein is low in cal's and vice versa for a lot of the nutrition ideals. By far, protein is one of the best to be over on simply because it will make you feel fuller and your body will digest it a lot slower (and has to work harder to do so). Protein is also fabulous after workouts which is why a lot of people opt for this as a snack alternative (or occassionally even a meal alternative). I really enjoy my protein shakes because they give me a lot more energy than some of the snacks I used to consume. There are many many different brands available and GNC is one of the best places to purchase it. Iso-Whey is a great quality protein and it usually comes in some decent flavors so it's not a chore to drink (although some people will tell you it takes some getting used to). If you are a Vegetarian or Vegan, you can purchase alternative stuff at Wholefoods or any Natural Grocery store. Because I have allergies, I usually buy a vegan brand which I love.

It's a personal choice (not everybody wants to drink protein shakes), different brands suit different people. It's not mandatory but a good way to fill yourself up and make your body work that little bit harder.

Good luck.
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    protein and fiber are the 2 things I don't mind going over! I don't think MFP protein limit suggestions is high enough for woman. you will still lose weight!

Weight Protein per day
    100 lbs (45 kg) 36g
    105 lbs (47.25 kg) 37.8g
    110 lbs (49.5 kg) 39.6g
    115 lbs (51.75 kg) 41.4g
    120 lbs (54 kg) 43.2g
    125 lbs (56.25 kg) 45g
    130 lbs (58.5 kg) 46.8g
    135 lbs (60.75 kg) 48.6g
    140 lbs (63 kg) 50.4g

If you want to know how much protein you need for your specific weight, just multiply your weight in pounds by .36, or your weight in kg by .8.

Fit's Tips: If you are an extremely active person, and are hard-core exercising daily, on a competitive sport team, or are in training, your protein needs will be higher. You'll need .45 - .54g of protein per pound you weigh (1 - 1.2g per kg). Also, the RDA of protein increases by 30 grams if you are pregnant, and 20 grams if you are nursing.
  • calthine
    calthine Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I looked up protein because I too constantly go over. Protein-heavy foods are the only thing keeping me on-plan at 1260 calories a day. While you should of course consult a doctor, unless you have certain problems (kidneys are the one I remember) it's very very hard to overdose on protein.

For my plan, Fat, carbs, calories cholesterol are all hard limits. So's sugar, but I'm struggling with that one. Protein, fiber, and vitamins, I take those as suggestions.

If you're trying to gain weight, try smoothies made with yogurt, fresh fruit, and soy protein powder!
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Is my morning smoothie making me fat?
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I really feel better,now!