Training plan

Options
13»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Yep my aim is to be a cardio endurance athlete. Honestly, when I dont do cardio, I dont have the feeling to exercise (probably because there is a lot of breaks).

Are you saying my program is not balanced? I know some people, they run 5 times a week and do only that. I believe there is enough diversity in this program.

Can you give me your training program? How many rest days do you take per week? I feel a bit guilty to take two rest days per week...:S

you want to be a cardio endurance athlete, yet i don't know any races that throw you on the elliptical for any amount of time.

don't get me wrong, i've used the elliptical before. it was the closest i got to running when rehabbing my sprained ankle.

but if your goal is to run a half-marathon or do a triathlon, then you have to get out there and run!!

most running plans do have you doing a certain amount of cross training. at the bottom of this page you'll see three plans: http://www.nyrr.org/train-with-us/training-programs/nyrr-half-marathon-training-program but they just have you do one cross training day a week!
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I cant really swim, that's why I replace swim with rowing so that I can workout my upper body. I have seen some training programs for triathlete and they train 5-6 hours a week. They are not professional though.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    This morning I realized how little was 100ml of milk. So I think I must be around 1800-2000 kcal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    I cant really swim, that's why I replace swim with rowing so that I can workout my upper body. I have seen some training programs for triathlete and they train 5-6 hours a week. They are not professional though.

there are four different length of triathlons

Sprint Distance; 750 meters (0.47 miles) swim, 20 kilometers (12 miles) bike, 5 kilometers (3.1 miles) run

Intermediate (or Standard) distance; commonly referred to as the "Olympic distance": 1.5 kilometers (0.93 miles) swim, 40 kilometers (25 miles) bike, 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) run

Long Course; commonly referred to as 70.3 or the 'half-Ironman'; 1.9 kilometers (1.2 miles) swim, 90 kilometers (56 miles) bike, and a 21.1 kilometers (13.1 miles) run

Ultra Distance; commonly referred to as 140.6 or the 'Ironman'; 3.8 kilometers (2.4 miles) swim, 180.2 kilometers (112.0 miles) bike, and a full marathon: 42.2 kilometers (26.2 miles) run.

you do not train for any of them the same way. you can complete a sprint triathlon by training 5-6 hours a week.

if you want to do a triathlon, learn to swim. however, the swim leg is the shortest in the race. the most important legs are the bike, and the run. i once saw a woman do the swim part of a triathlon with her head above water the entire time, breast stroking.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Yes I really like cardio (running, cycling, stepping and rowing), I dont have the passion for weight lifting anymore.... I am used to do weight lifting but I prefer to do rowing to work out my upper body.

What is your training program? How many rest days do you take per week? I feel a bit guilty to take two rest days.... :s

My routine, since you asked: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are my strength days. Right now I'm doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program along with a 10-minute cardio warm up and a 7-minute cool down and stretch which totals a solid hour. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do about 30 minutes of cardio - usually a HIIT routine or a core routine with a cardio component. I only burn about 200-250 calories Monday-Friday. I like to get in at least a walk with my husband and my dog on Saturdays, but Sunday is a total rest day. I'm looking to lose these last 8 lbs, but I'm more concerned now with how my body looks and how I feel, not the number on the scale.

I can't comment on your routine if your goal is to be a cardio endurance athlete because I have no desire to do such a thing and I know nothing about what it takes. If you like your exercise routine and it works for you, go for it. I do think you need to eat more, though. 1300 calories for someone doing this much exercise is incredibly low, especially if you're looking to maintain or put on a few pounds. I eat 1450 calories per day with what I do, and you're burning a lot more than I am. If you're a guy, you should never EVER go below 1600 calories per day. Like I said, you need to figure out what your TDEE is and AT LEAST eat that amount, if not more.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Training for 15 hours a week isn't over training?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Training for 15 hours a week isn't over training?

not if you're training for a big triathlon.

you also don't start off at 15 hours a week.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I dont plan to change my training program because I think I will take pleasure to do it. Dont forget I am not professional, so I have to enjoy my workout... So I may have to eat a bit more. what do you think of my diet?

Breakfast: two toasts with peanut butter, one coffee (with sugar and milk), one tea (with sugar and milk)
    Lunch: one baguette/wrap with chicken/tuna or eggs + some lettuce + dressing (Caesar salad, mayo or coronation) + diet coke + one coffee (with sugar and milk) + a treat (one spoon of peanut butter or one chocolate)
    Dinner: a can of tuna or two eggs, a lot veg (around 100g of salads, or green beans or brussels roots) + dressing (caesar salad, vinaigrette, salad cream) + one hot chocolate and time to time a treat (one spoon of peanut butter or one chocolate).
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Thanks for your response. Yes I really like cardio (running, cycling, stepping and rowing), I dont have the passion for weight lifting anymore.... I am used to do weight lifting but I prefer to do rowing to work out my upper body.

What is your training program? How many rest days do you take per week? I feel a bit guilty to take two rest days.... :s

My routine, since you asked: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday are my strength days. Right now I'm doing the StrongLifts 5x5 program along with a 10-minute cardio warm up and a 7-minute cool down and stretch which totals a solid hour. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I do about 30 minutes of cardio - usually a HIIT routine or a core routine with a cardio component. I only burn about 200-250 calories Monday-Friday. I like to get in at least a walk with my husband and my dog on Saturdays, but Sunday is a total rest day. I'm looking to lose these last 8 lbs, but I'm more concerned now with how my body looks and how I feel, not the number on the scale.

I can't comment on your routine if your goal is to be a cardio endurance athlete because I have no desire to do such a thing and I know nothing about what it takes. If you like your exercise routine and it works for you, go for it. I do think you need to eat more, though. 1300 calories for someone doing this much exercise is incredibly low, especially if you're looking to maintain or put on a few pounds. I eat 1450 calories per day with what I do, and you're burning a lot more than I am. If you're a guy, you should never EVER go below 1600 calories per day. Like I said, you need to figure out what your TDEE is and AT LEAST eat that amount, if not more.

Thanks for your reply. I dont plan to change my training program because I think I will take pleasure to do it. Dont forget I am not professional, so I have to enjoy my workout... So I may have to eat a bit more. what do you think of my diet?

Breakfast: two toasts with peanut butter, one coffee (with sugar and milk), one tea (with sugar and milk)
    Lunch: one baguette/wrap with chicken/tuna or eggs + some lettuce + dressing (Caesar salad, mayo or coronation) + diet coke + one coffee (with sugar and milk) + a treat (one spoon of peanut butter or one chocolate)
    Dinner: a can of tuna or two eggs, a lot veg (around 100g of salads, or green beans or brussels roots) + dressing (caesar salad, vinaigrette, salad cream) + one hot chocolate and time to time a treat (one spoon of peanut butter or one chocolate).
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    i'm not a professional either, and i still enjoy my work out.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Everyone should enjoy their workout, professionals or not. If you don't enjoy it, you're probably not going to stick to it.

As for your diet, it just doesn't seem like much food at all. You need to eat more. The actual food you're eating is fine if you like it, you just need to up your intake.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

Everyone should enjoy their workout, professionals or not. If you don't enjoy it, you're probably not going to stick to it.

As for your diet, it just doesn't seem like much food at all. You need to eat more. The actual food you're eating is fine if you like it, you just need to up your intake.

I totally agree with you. If you dont enjoy your workout, there is not point of training and you will loose motivation. I really like cardio and I think I will enjoy these 5 sessions of cardio per week.

For my diet, I have just been to the gym and I lost weight again this week.... I think I am going to increase the food. I started reducing the food since my flatmate made rude comments about my dinner....
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options

And with this training program and if I keep losing weight, I will reduce the sport so that I will have more time to do other stuff (reading books, watching movies...).