Feeling stupid for neglecting cardio...

Options
I'm feeling a bit silly.

I've successfully lost about 50lbs over the the last few years and kept it off. Though my weight hovers just over 11 stone (5'7") my summer goal was to lose 10-14lbs. I love exercise and have taken the same course as many - I started years ago clocking up endless minutes doing steady state cardio on the treadmill before evolving into lifting weigths (which changed my body and I love) and doing the odd spin class.

As the years crept on, I educated myself more and actually got a Personal Trainer cert (just to have) and loved making up little circuits for myself in the gym, and prided myself on being a girl who deadlifts / assisted pull ups etc. HOWEVER i've reaslied recently that i've let cardio completely fall outta my routine. I think this is why i'm not seeing the results like I used to. Thinking of shifting my focus more to cardio (45mins - 60mins) in the morning to try get summer ready, and throwing in some (maybe 3) weight sessions.

What are people thoughts on this? Are ye cardio / strenght people? Any comments on whats better for getting that last 10lbs off?

Thanks so much! Ciara

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for burning fat, strength is for tightening and building muscle. Since I'm trying to lose fat and keep what muscle I have, I do both, but if your BF is where you want it, maybe don't focus so much on the scale. I'm working on the last ten pounds myself until I reach my first goal, but these last pounds are proving to be much more stubborn!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    My initial goal is to burn fat so I am only doing cardio. I plan to switch to both once I am halfway to my goal weight. It wouldn't hurt you to add back the cardio if you think it will help. Sometimes, it takes a little longer to burn off the last few pounds regardless of if you are doing cardio or lifting.
  • Csmcnevin
    Csmcnevin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think its because I tilted my bias towards strenght training (burns more calories at rest etc) but forgot about the bottom line which is calories in versus calories out, in which case I guess cardio wins up!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of cardio...at all...especially when it's just for exercise..if it's fun I will do it.

I am on my last 2lbs without any significant cardio in my routine...I do some HIIT (usually 2x a week) but not always, but prefer my SL 5x5 for my exercise.

The last 10lbs comes from a calorie deficet...it is that simple. All you have to do is keep you intake lower than your burns regardless of how you get your burns.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I do cardio, no weights.

It depends on what you end-goal is really.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for burning fat, strength is for tightening and building muscle.

Are you saying strength training can't burn fat? :noway:

I look at strength training and cardo as two different goals. Strength is for building strength (shockingly) and cardio is for endurance. I think you need a bit of both.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for endurance and to give you more calories to eat. Always good for me.
  • Csmcnevin
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I think my question is about peoples experience regarding personal response to exercise.

I know the benefits of both but I think I am someone who puts on muscle easily (ie. an endomorph) and finds it very difficult to lean out. I think (ie. am speculating) that my body requires alot of cardio to burn the calories required (cardio does burn more then strenght training minute for minute, however I know that packing on more muscle raises you BMR). Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has found that cardio is what they have needed to get them across the finish line?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Cardio is for burning fat, strength is for tightening and building muscle. Since I'm trying to lose fat and keep what muscle I have, I do both, but if your BF is where you want it, maybe don't focus so much on the scale. I'm working on the last ten pounds myself until I reach my first goal, but these last pounds are proving to be much more stubborn!

cardio has nothing to do with burning fat ….it is just a way to get your calorie burns up …

you can "burn" fat by just strength training and no cardio …

so this is not accurate...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Thanks for the responses.

I think my question is about peoples experience regarding personal response to exercise.

I know the benefits of both but I think I am someone who puts on muscle easily (ie. an endomorph) and finds it very difficult to lean out. I think (ie. am speculating) that my body requires alot of cardio to burn the calories required (cardio does burn more then strenght training minute for minute, however I know that packing on more muscle raises you BMR). Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has found that cardio is what they have needed to get them across the finish line?

You can meet your goals with strength training alone if you want..

I only do one cardio session a week and it is HIIT sprints….
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    You need cardio, even if it is only walking, for health reasons, regardless of whether you will burn more or less calories. It is not cardio or strength training, your body needs both. If you are a personal trainer and still associate exercise with burning calories, I am scared of ever talking to a personal trainer again :(
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You guys are taking my comment out of context. Cardio is mainly for creating a larger deficit, therefore shedding extra weight, as well as improving cardiovascular health. Strength training will also burn calories, but it's much harder to estimate how big the burn is.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Those who do no cardio and focus only on weight loss without strengthening their cardiovascular systems are foolish indeed.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    One of my big motivators for getting fit and losing weight was to do as much as possible to ensure good heart health - a lot of heart attacks in my family history.

But I get a feel good feeling from both having good CV fitness and strength - so my exercise routine includes roughly equal parts of both.

Really think people are doing it wrong if they purely think of cardio as a fat burner! Sounds dull to me.
    How about sports performance? Or the pure enjoyment of cycling in beautiful countryside? Or health?
    ...... Anyway I was wondering if anyone else has found that cardio is what they have needed to get them across the finish line?
    Patience and accurate calorie tracking are all that's required to lose the last few pounds.
  • yummymummy281
    Options
    Hi every one im looking for some help & support . Ive been using this app along side with doing a macronutrient diet im 6 wks in & not doing very well
  • Csmcnevin
    Options
    Perhaps i havent been clear. I'm pretty fit (cardiovascular wise) - as i said i'm a qualified PT, and run a number of couch to 5km programs for beginner runners, and as I said do the odd spin class and could easy knock out a 5mile run when I fancy it. My circuits involve skipping sets / mountain climbers / burpees etc as well as weight lifting. I just realised I dont do the steady 45mins - 60mins cardio sessions I used to and am wondering if anyone has found upping their cardio to say 300mins a wk has helped weight loss. I really wanna see the scale drop. I'm stick of my toned arms being covered by a layer of fat!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Those who do no cardio and focus only on weight loss without strengthening their cardiovascular systems are foolish indeed.

really now....:laugh:

I actually have to think you don't do weight training...

I prefer to strength train and find cardio boring, tedious and a pain in my butt...and the HIIT I do is body weight HIIT...

I don't ever plan on running a marathon, or running anywhere unless there is a zombie behind me and I suspect my weight training will give me enough of a cardio workout to out run zombies...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    You guys are taking my comment out of context. Cardio is mainly for creating a larger deficit, therefore shedding extra weight, as well as improving cardiovascular health. Strength training will also burn calories, but it's much harder to estimate how big the burn is.

umm no you specifically said that "cardio if for fat burning"…

not sure how it was taken out of context.

but I am glad you revised your statement ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Perhaps i havent been clear. I'm pretty fit (cardiovascular wise) - as i said i'm a qualified PT, and run a number of couch to 5km programs for beginner runners, and as I said do the odd spin class and could easy knock out a 5mile run when I fancy it. My circuits involve skipping sets / mountain climbers / burpees etc as well as weight lifting. I just realised I dont do the steady 45mins - 60mins cardio sessions I used to and am wondering if anyone has found upping their cardio to say 300mins a wk has helped weight loss. I really wanna see the scale drop. I'm stick of my toned arms being covered by a layer of fat!

so you are a personal trainer and you are asking if cardio is going to help the scale drop?

calorie deficit is what does that …

if you are not losing then you are not in a deficit…