Frusterated, is this normal? plateau? something wrong?

Options
I am not sure what I am doing wrong...

I have logged into this site for 50 days straight as of today (my getting back on t he band wagon)
I have been working out for 2 months, 5 times a week minimum for the last 5 weeks...
MWF 530am bootcamp
T & Th lunch hour spin class
and then the occaisional "run" (i am on week 3 of C25K) a few times a week

I am 5'6" med-lg frame

am eating anywhere from 1400-1600 cals depending on my excercise cals as per HRM numbers.
And I eat balanced and well rounded, though I don't deprive myself if I crave something, I always include it into my calories (for exampe a weekend treat meal out or serving of chips etc.) also rather then 3 large meals I eat 3 small meals and 2-3 small snacks. I cook my meals, I even pre cook on sundays for the week... no excuses. pre log my food often the night before,..
(foods like home made soups, chicken, brown rice, lots of veggies, sometimes but not often fruit, protein shakes with spinach and flax, minimal bread,eggs, beans, whole wheat pasta when I have it, which is not often, etc etc... eating out is often a salad, no croutons or bacon, with chicken, light dressing on side, snacks often include veggies & hummus, or a serving of whole wheat crackers and laughing cow wedge, or cheese string)

and nothing has changed in those 50+ days...
not the scale, not the inches, not my clothes....

What am I doing wrong? I know I am building muscle in place of the fat, and I know lactic acid blah blah blah, i know water/ sodium & daily lb fluctuations... which I am fine with,,,, but not one stinking change???

I lost more doing less before xmas... just eating well and working out cardio 2-4 times a week ( mostly just zumba and walking dog) then I fell off the wagon.... all summer and now that I'm back on AND adding strenghth training, I thought that would be a shock to my body and I'd start seeing some great changes, but I only find myself getting more and more frustrated... am I eating too much? not enough, doing something wrong?

Please any ideas would be appreciated... do I keep pushing and expect a change eventually? I don't expect a big loss regularly. but you know, a pound or 2 in the last month would have been nice!!!!

sincerely,

at risk of falling off the wagon....

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Do you take any supplements?
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options

not really, sometimes protein powder for a breakfast shake.
    multi vitamin
    had my thyroid checked last year was fine.
  • binary_jester
    Options

not really, sometimes protein powder for a breakfast shake.
    multi vitamin
    had my thyroid checked last year was fine.
    Have you considered any to perhaps kick-start your weight loss? I am not being cryptic, but some people are very opposed to supplements.
  • Magenta15
    Options
    depends what you mean by supplements I guess.... I am not willing to fall into the trap of diet pills, hydroxy cut etc. and pay big bucks for something that's a marketing ploy...what sort do you mean?
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    When I hit a weight loss plateau about a month ago, I followed what Jillian Michaels recommended, which was to eat between 2,000 and 2,400 calories for 2 - 3 days, then go back to eating your usual number, increase the intensity of exercise you already do, or change which exercises you do. I didn't eat nearly that much, but did go over quite a bit for two days, started going to the gym 6 days a week instead of 3, and did more bike riding. It worked.
  • Skunkroaster
    Skunkroaster Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi There...Must be the time of year, I just posted almost the exact same post earlier today. Check out my post "Frustrated" for some good suggestions....and hang in there!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Just when you think you have it down to a science..... Sorry you've had a frusterating time of it. Maybe time to speak to a doctor about other possible causes. I would maybe give the switching it up suggestion a try. Maybe my weekend screw ups are ok after all. Seriously, your doing everything right, I wish I could be that dissaplined.
  • binary_jester
    Options
    Nah...I hate marketing hype. Their "proprietary blend" to me is the equivalent of voodoo mysticism. If I were to start out with one, it would be green tea. I buy ones from vita-cost. One capsule contains 500mg of green tea (standardized to 98% polyphenols, 80% catechins and 50% ECEG). There are actual clinical studies that show it is an effective thermogenic and I believe it is a natural diuretic (but don't quote me on that). I try and take mine 1/2 hour before breakfast, lunch and my workout.
  • luly727
    luly727 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    tried to see yr food diary, but couldnt..Maybe cut the strength training and concentrate for now on cardio, treadmill, walking at a faster pace, get the HR up a bit, doing intervals of fast then slowing it down , and then speeding it up a bit..

Not seeing ANY change in 5 months considering what u say you are doing doesnt seem right..so maybe change things as far as food..cant advise further as I couldnt see the diary..
    Good Luck and dont give up, just try and figure out what is stalling you

Luly
  • woodsytheowl
    Options
    Could it be that you are eating too few calories and your body is trying to hang on to whatever it can? When I started trying to lose weight I tried to take my calories down too fast and my body went into an emergency mode. Maybe try boosting your calories to the maintenance zone for a couple of days, then down by 200 for 2 days, until you are at the 1400-1600 mark. That way your metabolism can adjust. Just an idea! Good luck though, you are doing an amazing job!
  • 501blues
    Options
    Are you consuming enough calories for the amount of activities you are doing?
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Don't cut out your strength training whatever you do. You should never cut out strength as muscle repair uses calories for hours after the workout whereas cardio stops as soon as you do, and the higher your lean muscle mass the faster your metabolism.
    I think your best bet would be to Increase your strength training and Decrease your cardio. Keep your diet about the same but add in more lean protein. At least 1.5g protein per kg body weight.
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hi There...Must be the time of year, I just posted almost the exact same post earlier today. Check out my post "Frustrated" for some good suggestions....and hang in there!

Me too!! Im in the same spot, and I have lost tons of weight before...I dont remember weight loss ever being this hard.
  • AZChatterB
    AZChatterB Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Hi, PolliesGirl.

I had a similar situation (although I did not have the workout routine that you did!). I thought that by monitoring calories, I would be okay, and I ate what I wanted in what I thought were healthy portions. Not only wasn't I losing weight, I was gaining. Almost hitting 300 lbs was my wake up call. I went to my doctor and talked with him about weight loss. He had a very simple answer that made all the difference: avoid pasta, rice, and bread, and I got a recommendation for a Fat/Carb/Protein ratio. I began using MFP to not just log calories, but to monitor fat, protein, carbohydrates, sodium, etc. Wow, what an eye opener! I found that is not the number of calories, but the make up of those calories. Since then, I have been dropping the pounds, slowly, to be sure, but it's healthy and long lasting. My doctor has been pleased with my progress (40 lbs in 4 months).

Anyway, a round about way of saying, have you checked into the ratios? There are many diet sites/plans that suggest them, as does the FDA. Check with your doctor for what's best for you.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming enough calories for the amount of activities you are doing?

This may be something you want to look into. I didn't have deprivation in mind.. But with a workout schedule similar to yours, I found out that I was undereating.

My goals for 1 1/2 pounds per week consisted of a daily 1950 calorie intake. I was on target as far as calorie intake, but I was burning 400-800 cals on average meaning that my NET intake was more like 1150-1550. I was also doing HIIT. While I was losing some fat, building muscle I'd occasionally just burn muscle while not touching fat. In essence, spinning my wheels somewhat. I upped my Net cal intake to 1700-2000 cals per day, watched the macro nutrients and was able to get past the plateau.

Keep at it, change it up a little as far as workout intensity and start including bi-weekly measurements as a point of reference. Since you are also converting fat to muscle, you may not just want to pay attention to the scale alone. I suggest increasing your caloric intake a few days a week before you make any other major changes. Also be mindful of rest, it's pretty easy to hit a plateau if you aren't resting enough.
  • nataliew834
    Options
    i used to do the same thing before and would get frustrated. You might need to cut back your calories to 1200 and stop giving into cravings. Try steamed broccoli and a lot of greens. Snack on fiber bars and try egg white or one egg and one seperated egg for breakfast. Just try and remember if you are eating the same as always nothing will change. Keep your goals in mind and imagine yourself at your goal weight when you crave something "bad"....if i were you i would not log your food the day before...log it at night so you dont feel guilt free about snacking on something you shouldnt. HANG IN THERE and dont get discouraged... "if you live like no one else today, you will live like no one else tomorrow!"
  • Tobras
    Tobras Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi,

There are a few replies that are absolutely right. Increase your calories, but not just for a few days, every week. Try a Zig-Zag Diet. In a zig-zag diet, your calories are higher 2-3 days a week. This keeps your body from getting used to the same old calorie goal. Use this link and it will tell you what calories to go up to on different days of the week:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Hope this helps!

Good Luck,

Tobras
  • nataliew834
    Options
    oh ya and grilled chicken is my best friend or tuna with on serving on light mayo and sweet pickles mixed together on a piece of double fiber bread..
  • Magenta15
    Options

I am sleeping 7-8 hours a night.