Is this water weight or real weight loss

erin_89
erin_89 Posts: 45
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I joined mfp last fridays and i have learned alot. I just bought my first scale and lost five pounds. Now 375 my goal is 280. I've been eatting a lot, alot, alot less then I ever did, drinking alot more water, walking aleast 3 times a day for 30 mintues. At 21 I know that if I just keep walking and eatting withinn my cals then i can hit my weight.

One thing I don't understand is if this 5 pounds is just water weight or real wieght that will stay off?

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Good for you for taking the first steps! It is really hard and takes a lot of courage to confront old habits and be willing to change.

Well, probably a good bit of it is water weight, but that is still real. Everyone gets the boost at the beginning of their weight loss journey from losing water weight, but don't discount it. It means that what you are doing is WORKING!!! Once you are eating better, exercising and drinking enough water, your body decides it can stop retaining the extra water it's been retaining and does so.

You won't really "regain" it unless you don't get enough fluids or over do it on the sodium. If you notice your weight fluctuating a lot, it may mean you aren't getting enough water :)

Keep up the good work!!!
  • Well done - you have made good progress this week. Those of us with a lot to lose often have weeks where the number looks high but that's normal especially at he beginning- there may be some water balancing going on as your body readjusts to your new eating style but I don't think this is anything to worry about -.
    You have not been eating all your calories so a higher than 2 lbs result is to be expected - try to eat a bit more don't undershoot on your main calorie target by too much.
  • thelima
    thelima Posts: 234
    Welcome, Erin!

I started off at 365 and have lost 23 lbs so far since mid-August. Yes, the first week I lost a huge amount, and kept it off. Totally a bunch of water weight, but it doesn't come back, as long as I keep up drinking lots of water and eating correctly. :)

Congrats on starting on a healthy journey!!

-- Maria (a.k.a. The Lima)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Welcome, Erin!

I started off at 365 and have lost 23 lbs so far since mid-August. Yes, the first week I lost a huge amount, and kept it off. Totally a bunch of water weight, but it doesn't come back, as long as I keep up drinking lots of water and eating correctly. :)

Congrats on starting on a healthy journey!!

-- Maria (a.k.a. The Lima)

Keep up the good work Erin!!:flowerforyou: Maria is absolutey correct......:-) Congrats on 5 pounds!!
  • erin_89
    erin_89 Posts: 45
    Thanks so much you guys.
This discussion has been closed.