How much longer...?

Luckymam
Luckymam Posts: 300
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
...after I've upped my calories should I see a loss in weight? I've been stuck at the same weight for the last 2 months so have decided to up my calories to around 2000 per day. I walk loads (at least 5 miles per day, but it's been 10+ these last few days), and do aerobics and use an elliptical trainer about 3 times per week.

Replies

• What a great achievement to-date!! It sounds like your body has plataeued because it has gotten used to the level of exercise you are doing, so it's time to up the ante and start challenging your metabolism again. You can do this by introducing weight training (you won't bulk-up unless you start taking supplements which I doubt you would be interested in) and doing interval training. Increasing your calories won't get you the result you are looking for.
    The easiest 20 min interval training I know is on a bike....8 secs on, 12 secs off....for 8 secs you cycle as hard (like going on a steep incline) & fast as you can, then 12 secs fairly easy paced. Repeat this for 20 mins.
    If you can afford to get a personal trainer for a short period to help you with weight-training, it's worth it....even better if you have a friend to train with, that will save you $$. If you can't, there are plenty of websites that you can use to guide you....one that I used to use is www.freetrainers.com - you can set up a program for training at home, and all the exercises are explained.
    Good luck!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I agree with ceejai28 on changing up your routine, but also increasing calories could be helpful if you weren't eating enough to compensate for all the calories you were burning through exercise. If you weren't eating your exercise calories before, drop your daily calorie allotment back to what it was and start eating your exercise calories and you should see a drop in weight (same effect but this ensures you won't eat too much). Hope that helps!
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Thanks for the info, guys! I'm starting my new regime next week xxx
This discussion has been closed.