How Much Stress Causes No Results

Options
Does any body know about what kinds and how much stress causes cortisol release and completely freezing fat/weight loss. I worry every day about why I'm not at prepregnancy weight yet. Son is 2 now. I worry about money every day - we are a live by paycheque-to-paycheque kind of family. My husband has started a new business 2 years ago and its still in the rough stages - has gone months with no work sometimes......Anyways, this is the kind of stress im dealing with. Plus I control T1 diabetes.

I am 5'9". Weight 150-155lbs. (goal is 140lbs) I eat 1200-1500 cals 6 days a week. 7th day is usually a big slurge at 3000-3500 cals. I plan to change this and work in treats to an everyday thing in moderation instead of all at once like a pig. (The current way is giving me at least a 2000cal deficit per week plus I burn 1000calories thru cardio and I strength train 3-4 times a week with 10lb dumbbells for now. I will be moving up to 15lbs soon and so on.)

If I only know what was causing my "no weight loss" then I would change it somehow. Is it stress do you figure?
I also want to ask, is it because when I was pregnant I gained 70lbs and the day after csection my legs were so swollen that they touched the whole way down to my knees and I felt like the Michelin man??? lol. Seriously. I never had thigh gap BUT my legs NEVER touched the whole way down. Now they are still bigger than prepreg and they do have cellulite. It's hard to tell if even a 10lb loss would rid of my dislikes.

Replies

• ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    It's hard to go back to pre-pregnancy shape because of hormonal changes, and cortisol is a *****! Also healthy (food) doesn't equal to calorie-free. You need a 7000 kcal deficit to lose 1 kg. I manage to lose 1 kg/month only. Try to avoid binges and keep going!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • BetesBitch
    BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yep I do, weigh everything and add up calories into my desk calculator everyday. I don't bother looking up the foods on MFP. I just use my calculator. Thanks. Oh and NONE of my drinks have calories.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    1) Your diary is empty. So, you could easily be eating way more than you think, daily.
    2) If we assume you are eating 200-300 calories below maintenance per day for 6 days, this means a deficit of 1200-1800 calories. It looks like on your one splurge day, you are eating all this back.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    1) Your diary is empty. So, you could easily be eating way more than you think, daily.
    2) If we assume you are eating 200-300 calories below maintenance per day for 6 days, this means a deficit of 1200-1800 calories. It looks like on your one splurge day, you are eating all this back.

1) I weigh everything and add up all daily calories into my desk calculator. I always get around 1300-1500 per day.
    2) My TDEE is 2050. so Im about 500 deficit 6 days a week and say 1000-1500 surplus once a week. If I do the math Im in a 1500-2000 deficit with food each week plus another 1000cal deficit from cardio.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Reduce your calories for a few weeks. If you lose weight, then all the advice you've received in this thread is correct—right now, you're not eating at a deficit.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Reduce your calories for a few weeks. If you lose weight, then all the advice you've received in this thread is correct—right now, you're not eating at a deficit.
    Oh, what if I am but it's just cortisol from stress making the fat stay? Isn't that a possibility?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Yes, cortisol is a possibility. But that's way harder to prove. Start by proving (or disproving) that you're eating at a deficit.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Oh, what if I am but it's just cortisol from stress making the fat stay? Isn't that a possibility?

OP:
    If you are that concerned about cortisol, speak to a doctor. Even with medical conditions, weight loss happens when a person is eating at a deficit. Will it take longer for some? Yep. Will it be more difficult for some? Yep.

When it comes down to it:
    calorie deficit=weight loss
    calorie surplus=weight gain
    exercise=fitness
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    I googled stress after you posted, just out of interest really however I do remember years back a work colleague stating that she had help fro her doc after gaining lots of weight while eating very little. At the time she worked for the police and had a very stressful episode that continued to affect her months afterwards. she was eating very little but gaining weight. changing jobs made a big difference eventually (it takes time to recover from stress) and the weight did eventually start to go.

Lots of credible reports showing that stress can affect your weight loss. Most advice seems to be get plenty of sleep, don't diet (!) but do eat sensibly and try to deal with the stress if you have the option. Meditation seems to be a common recommendation too. maybe try some yoga for a while, one that is more about the mind ?
  • BetesBitch
    Options

OP:
    If you are that concerned about cortisol, speak to a doctor. Even with medical conditions, weight loss happens when a person is eating at a deficit. Will it take longer for some? Yep. Will it be more difficult for some? Yep.

When it comes down to it:
    calorie deficit=weight loss
    calorie surplus=weight gain
    exercise=fitness
    Doctors appointment April 28th. Thanks!