I can't get motivated on the treadmill.

Options
I love lifting weights and that's what I mostly wanted to focus on when I started exercising; but cardio is important too of course. I can't seem to run for more than 5 minutes without giving up. I always feel like i'm getting nowhere on it. I may sound dumb asking but Could it partially be because it's a manual treadmill i'm using?

Replies

• Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a dumb question. I despise working out on machines, they bore me to death. I rather walk outside; do you think you'd be more motivated if you ran outside?
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill, I can only run on it for more than 5 minutes if someone is next to me and I can talk to them. Go outside, it's a totally different experience!
  • HorsesForever21
    Options
    I feel your pain:( I hate my treadmill so much!! However, as other people have said, walking/jogging/running outside is an enjoyable and efficient alternative:)
  • Sartajsingh85
    Sartajsingh85 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    it partially be because it's a manual treadmill i'm using?

This ...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    it partially be because it's a manual treadmill i'm using?

This ...

Yes. I despise the treadmill as it is, but a manual one - forget it.

I prefer to run outside and do whenever I can. For the times that I had to do treadmill work, I opted for interval type training. I found that focusing on counting down to the next interval at least somewhat occupied my mind. You can do walk/run intervals or running/jogging, alternating incline, whatever. You can google treadmill workouts, there are tons online.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I can run for 2 1/2 hours outside. I want to kill myself after 10 minutes on a treadmill.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I can run for 2 1/2 hours outside. I want to kill myself after 10 minutes on a treadmill.

Yup.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    You could just use cardio to warm up and cool down, and do the rest with weights.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Yup.

this.

i get lost in a long run outside. usually i don't even have music.

but on a treadmill, i can do maybe a mile. a manual treadmill?? eff that noise.

go run outside. it's great.
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I HATE the treadmill and so I bought an elliptical and even that bores me. I've lost the majority of my weight, by eating at a deficit and walking. I love being outside, change of scenery and at times it doesn't even seem like exercise.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You could just use cardio to warm up and cool down, and do the rest with weights.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

oh, i totally do this. i foam roll, then i usually run about a mile to warm up. then some dynamic stretching. then i'll cool off with a slow jog on the treadmill.
  • divagabrielle
    Options
    I can really 'zone' out on the treadmill with my favorite music. I make sure to vary the incline & speed occasionally, but I focus on the music & it's fine. I like being able to zone out, not having to pay attention to where I'm going, or start thinking about how far I've gone so I can figure out when I've reached the half-way point of my walk. On the treadmill, when I'm done walking, I stop. If that = 10 min & suicidal thoughts :wink: for you, and/or you like the thinking that goes into walking outdoors & know you will walk more, by ALL means, get outside!
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I managed to get through our miserable winter using the treadmill quite a bit. I found it helpful to:

1- I bought BlueTooth headphones so I could listen to music on my phone while running.
    2- I covered the treadmill screen with a towel so I didn't see every second tick by.
    3- Vary the incline now and then, also use the preprogrammed routes if available.

Ran up to 10 miles on it. Tolerable. Much happier outside. :)
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started, but it gets easier. I will add a little time each time and vary the speed. Sometimes I'll do a pattern of walking 2 minutes and running 2 minutes and then jogging 4 minutes, then repeat. Tunes help, TV, anything to distract. Good luck--cardio is important but try to find something you enjoy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Agreed. Loathe the hamster wheel, love the trail.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    Treadmills are mindnumbingly boring, and you feel like you are going no where because, well, you are going no where when you are on a treadmill. :wink:
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    See now I love the treadmill. I love the outdoors more though, but, there's times in the season where the bugs won't have any mercy and, before i got married i was running outside (no gym or money) I had no choice anyways I must have eaten like 6 gnat-like- bugs on this trail at a campus i visited. I laugh now but it was dodging bullets and had a really bad run that day as well as other times- which was late summer early fall. Also, getting used to the sun really takes time when your trying to run faster, all the sudden, it doesn't help unless your a super athletic type of shape(I'm not) I really like how the atmosphere at a gym is predictable and being able to gulp on water when you really need it helps so much with hard run. But I guess I love the best of both worlds and can use that to my advantage when i get bored with the one I can go to the other:) I would love to take anyones equipment off their hands though if they don't want theirs at a reasonable pricer if you feel you could use some of the lost money on getting equipment you will not enjoy:) just message me yeah?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree that the treadmill is so BORING!!! I like outside where I can make physical distance goals like "I can make it to the 30 signs, oh why not the carpark, hey, I'm not dead yet lets get to the farm"
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I can really 'zone' out on the treadmill with my favorite music. I make sure to vary the incline & speed occasionally, but I focus on the music & it's fine. I like being able to zone out, not having to pay attention to where I'm going, or start thinking about how far I've gone so I can figure out when I've reached the half-way point of my walk. On the treadmill, when I'm done walking, I stop. If that = 10 min & suicidal thoughts :wink: for you, and/or you like the thinking that goes into walking outdoors & know you will walk more, by ALL means, get outside!

This all the way when I run on the treadmill; good music tuned in like upbeat fast light tropical techno(zumba:)???) along with good settings, I can fix the crave my hips get when it's raining cats and dogs outside or just not feeling the outdoors:)it can be nice if you have the music for it:)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I love lifting weights and that's what I mostly wanted to focus on when I started exercising; but cardio is important too of course. I can't seem to run for more than 5 minutes without giving up. I always feel like i'm getting nowhere on it. I may sound dumb asking but Could it partially be because it's a manual treadmill i'm using?
    have you tried going out into the fresh air and running/walking there?