Restaurants... How to find nutrition facts

Options
I just started my fitness pal yesterday. Today I am going out to dinner. I want to see what the calorie count is on specific meals. How do I do this? :(

Replies

• lorika55
    lorika55 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I usually see if the restaurant has a website with a menu and try to determine what I might eat.
    You can go to the MFP database and enter your 'potential' with the restaurant that offers it...you would be surprised what is listed there!
    Not sure where you live, but for example, you can enter Swiss Chalet chicken and it lists all the options, with salads, veg, fries etc.
    Good luck. :wink:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    As above.

However, be aware that only chain restaurants have menus and nutritional information listed in their website. Steak houses, small local places or restaurants with a small franchise may not have nutritional information available.
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I too was surprised at the database on this site. Type in Olive Garden and it lists everything there..another one is sparkpeople..
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I guess and always lean more to over estimating.
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Unless you dine out a LOT - why bother? ... Just leave a gap in your diary....
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

Have to agree, just guess at 1500 calories or forget it and start a new day
  • Inkymycat
    Inkymycat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I use this app and a few I have on my iphone to find my calories. My iphone apps are:
    FastFoodCal
    Restaurants (Has an update option in the app to get the latest updates).

I now avoid fast food restaurants but still keep the app. I eat more home food cooking as I no what is in my food
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options

I disagree, especially for those new to calorie counting. Eating out doesn't mean you have to throw away the day's macro counts.

I look for nutritional information from the restaurants website first, but if it's not listed, then I go with what's closest in the database. As someone else said, the restaurants' info may already be listed in the database. It'll give you a better idea than just guessing or just not logging it.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

I disagree, especially for those new to calorie counting. Eating out doesn't mean you have to throw away the day's macro counts.

I look for nutritional information from the restaurants website first, but if it's not listed, then I go with what's closest in the database. As someone else said, the restaurants' info may already be listed in the database. It'll give you a better idea than just guessing or just not logging it.

I think that you missed the point a wee bit .. if the data aren't available you can't log anything beyond a guess - so best not bother . It's no big deal.
  • Lbod11
    Lbod11 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem when I started my fitness pal...I usually call the restaurant ahead of time and ask if they have a nutrition facts menu or I also look on line..If Im unable to get it...I'm very specific about what is on my food and I don't get butter or dressings added to anything..and I try to be as accurate as possible about serving size while I'm eating out...You will eventually get used to it and it is well worth it!:happy:
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Just do a Google search like "Applebees nutrition" and you should get it. Then search it on MFP and it most likely has it. If not then you can just wrote down what you ate and remember to count it in with your calories
  • dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options

I think that you missed the point a wee bit .. if the data aren't available you can't log anything beyond a guess - so best not bother . It's no big deal.

No, YOU missed the point. If you can't find the exact same thing/ restaurant, you log a similar item from another place. If I need to log a bagel, I'm pretty sure that a listing for Einstein will be close enough to the actual count at my local bakery. I also know that a donut from my local shop is much bigger than one from Dunkin Donuts or Safeway, but is about the same size as one from Voodoo or Top Pot., so I use their info. If I can't find a one-off beer in the database, I'll go with a similar style from a well known brewery. Breakfast at a diner? You can probably get damn close logging the info from Denny's or Bob Evans.
  • Shropshire1959
    Options

No, YOU missed the point. If you can't find the exact same thing/ restaurant, you log a similar item from another place. If I need to log a bagel, I'm pretty sure that a listing for Einstein will be close enough to the actual count at my local bakery. I also know that a donut from my local shop is much bigger than one from Dunkin Donuts or Safeway, but is about the same size as one from Voodoo or Top Pot., so I use their info. If I can't find a one-off beer in the database, I'll go with a similar style from a well known brewery. Breakfast at a diner? You can probably get damn close logging the info from Denny's or Bob Evans.

suit your self .. it's your diary .. bung in what ever you like..
  • AlexSmithsg
    Options
    Do not go out for hamburgers. Those are always very high in calories.