"Here comes Chubby"

2»

Replies

• Thanks for all the support and suggestions everyone, it wasn't a patient/client but a family member that visits rather frequently. I am going to take them aside and politely state that the comment wasn't welcome.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Report and keep doing what you're doing.
  • mdsloan2000
    mdsloan2000 Posts: 2 Member
    You should really contact your human resources department. Don't bother talking to them about what they said. Bullies keep coming unless you push back. And, you may be strong enough to look past it, but the next person they seek to hurt may not.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss so far and keep up the good work!

About that person, repeat this to yourself as often as necessary till it sinks in:

"The way people treat you is a statement about who they are as a human being, It is not a statement about you."

Because that, my dear, is the truth.
  • jjs10472
    jjs10472 Posts: 4 Member
    Be Proud...screw them...I work in retail and am doing this with my best friend and we are proud and let people know...hold your head up high...you are so much better than them...Its a shame Grown people act like children !!!!
  • sp1nn3r86
    sp1nn3r86 Posts: 15
    I wouldn't take it. If she were to make a comment like that to me I would tell them they had no right to mistreat me. It's outright rude and disrespectful. If it were to happen on a regular basis then I'd go to hr.
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    one of the older folks at my work (not a coworker).

By older, do you mean, older like me... ( 53 ? ) or older, like 70+ ? And by 'not a coworker' do you mean a patient / client?

Because, if it's some old guy patient, I'd let the comment slide. Old people generally get a pass for saying stupid *kitten*, just because they are old.... and if he's a patient, and not a coworker, then again, let him make his dumbass comments, and just secretly pity him.

I was going to ask this same question.

If the person is an older 70+ client you should probably still report it to your supervisor. Most workplaces do have anti-bullying policies that also incorporate visitors and clients/patients, especially hospitals. At the very least this person may be reminded by someone in charge that this sort of talk is not acceptable.

A lot of older people, those who aren't nice, think it is still acceptable to spew out hateful things as they have gotten away with it all their lives. The number of older people I hear making extremely racist , sexist or rude comments in public is astounding.

As for telling the person that you find their comment hurtful, well personally I don't think they will give 2 hoots. They already know it is hurtful. My response would be to kindly ask them what exactly do they mean with their comment and really put them on the spot. Especially if there are people around.
  • illuvatree
    illuvatree Posts: 185 Member
    What an *kitten*.

I don't think anyone should comment on weight, but people don't really understand what's impolite about it, especially when they're being mean-spirited.

I'm generally too shy and awkward to respond to things like that. One time when I was a teenager, I was working at a deli/grill place, and there was this teenage boy a few years younger than me who would do stocking or cleaning, I don't remember. Anyway, his friends came in to the place and started making jokes about me. More cushion for the pushin' and stuff like that.

People are jerks. And it's up to you whether you want to respond. Some people have given you really great advice. You honestly deserve to be treated better. And NONE of us should be made to feel ashamed because of our weight. We're our own worst critics sometimes, and we don't need anyone else to contribute to that.
  • tabbyblack13
    tabbyblack13 Posts: 299 Member
    What do people expect overweight people to wear while they are losing weight?

Clothing, I think. :bigsmile:

If people are comfortable with doing there own sewing the a good thing to try out is making a duck tape dress form. If you google there are a few blogs out there that talk about it. Using a dress form helps with tailoring clothing and is cheaper then getting a real one because you can make a new one with plastic wrap and duck tape.

Belts are great to keep your pants up too. Wal-mart might have some inexpensive belts with designs on them. Those can brighten up my day.