Dehydration can lead to obesity

MysticMaiden22
MysticMaiden22 Posts: 324 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I've always had issues with not drinking enough water. Growing up, I was more partial to juice and soda (of course, the highly addictive junk infused with High Fructose Corn Syrup). I figured stuff like that was liquid, therefore would keep me hydrated.

I now can't go without at least 4-5 16 oz bottles of water a day and rarely drink juice or soda anymore. I was a coffee addict at one point and seriously only drink it maybe once or twice a month now. Drinking plenty of water has dramatically helped me with my diet and I am actually losing weight.

I started doing some research and noticed that water plays a huge part in weight loss. Our bodies will store fat due to dehydration. I can just imagine how much damage I have done throughout my teenage and early adult years by not drinking enough water. Not only was weight gain a problem, but I constantly had headaches, sometimes suffered from kidney pain, and had issues with bloating. In hindsight, it's obvious that dehydration was a huge issue.

Here is a great article that I read that can explain more.

http://www.chimachine4u.com/water.html

I see a lot of people on this site talking about how they often don't reach their set water intake amount for the day. I hope this helps some people realize how critically important this is. :)

Replies

• Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Thanks for sharing.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Juice, coffee and soda do not leave you dehydrated. It was probably the calories in the juice and soda that caused your weight gain, not a lack of water.

It's very difficult to be dehydrated.

And I would find a more reliable source for information, like a medical journal or something similar.
  • MysticMaiden22
    MysticMaiden22 Posts: 324 Member
    Juice, coffee and soda do not leave you dehydrated. It was probably the calories in the juice and soda that caused your weight gain, not a lack of water.

It's very difficult to be dehydrated.

And I would find a more reliable source for information, like a medical journal or something similar.

Maybe I should also bring up the point that I usually only had maybe a few glasses per day and never finished them. I often suffered from symptoms of MILD dehydration.

I'm not saying dehydration was the ONLY factor in my weight gain. But it was likely one.

I'll be happy to add more sources that I obtained info in regards to dehydration and weight gain later on.
This discussion has been closed.