Need Encouragement!

Options
Hi Everyone, I'm new to this site. I'm excited to get started and meet people who need the same encouragement that I need. I'm 41 years old and I have a 2 year old grandson that I'm trying to keep up with. He is very active. My biggest thing is exercise. I need more of it but don't find it very fun to do. I'm hoping through this site by tracking and all that I will be more committed in doing the right thing. Good luck to all and Take care.

Replies

• Maggie1960
    Options
    Welcome to MFP - your grandson is fantastic motivation to get slim and fit. There is so much support and advice on here, it really can't be beaten. Feel free to add me as a friend, the more friends you have, the better it is on here.:flowerforyou:
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As someone who's committed to staying fit, I can honestly tell you that the time and effort you put into exercising and eating right will reap benefits that far exceed what you put into it.

Do it for your family and friends but mostly do it for yourself.

Good luck!
  • squishyfishy
    Options
    Hi Maggie and welcome, I've only been here a couple of days but I'm loving it so far.

I think the secret is to try loads of different types of exercise more than once till you find something you enjoy. Have you tried Zumba or belly dancing? They are great funny and you don't have to be a great dancer to do them, I'm certainly not.

Good luck
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    do you read books? i like to read while i am on the exercise bike. if its a good book, it makes the time fly by :) also i like to do wii fit. there are fun games and you forget you are even working out.
  • IngeS18
    IngeS18 Posts: 36
    Options
    Welcome =)

Dieting and exercising might be hard sometimes, but it's so good for you! It makes you feel great, not just about your self-image but health-wise too. And better health brings the motivation for exercising as well. If you feel healthy and fit, you'll still feel that way when you work out. It won't be that much of a challenge, it'll be more like a fun hobby
    all you have to do is just try different things until you find the type of work out that you like.
  • BrisVegas1
    BrisVegas1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

I'm not a fan of exercise either. I lost 6kilos four years ago predominately by walking. It sounds boring but it works.

I strap on a Polar Heart Rate Monitor and put on my iPod and just start walking. Music is a great motivator. If you have an iPod you can even create a Playlist of motivational music; something with a good beat to walk to and inspirational lyrics.

The Heart Rate Monitor is great. After about 5 or 10 minutes of brisk walking I do a short sprint to get my heart rate up to between 170 & 180BPM, then I drop back to a brisk walking pace (approx 150BPM for me). Repeat one or two more times in the walking session. This is called interval training and it makes ALL the difference when trying to loose weight via walking. Start with 20mins an day and you should be able to build up to 45, 60 or even 90mins.

Once you get your endurance up you can start adding other activities. When I last lost weight I added weekly golfing & ballet classes to keep things interesting.

Hope that helps. Good luck with it!
  • Beebee78
    Beebee78 Posts: 703
    Options
    You will find lots of support and encouragement here xxx
  • turbojanem
    Options
    As someone who's committed to staying fit, I can honestly tell you that the time and effort you put into exercising and eating right will reap benefits that far exceed what you put into it.

Do it for your family and friends but mostly do it for yourself.

Good luck!

well said.

cheering you on!!!
    Jane